• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum upgrade complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On both desktop and mobile for me, when I click on a thread, it jumps to the first new post - but as shown in the screenshot the top bar with the posting time is obscured by the top black bar. It seems to be jumping to the wrong place?

Is this deliberate or an error? I find it useful seeing when posts were made.
I don’t think this is an error, it’s just replicating how the previous software works. So you would like it to go to the end of the previous post? I think that could be done.
A couple of things I have noticed that have disappeared are, a bar at the bottom of the thread which showed who was reading a thread (not essential) and also at the bottom showed how many more unread posts there were on the following pages (useful to gauge how much more there is to read and whether to continue if on a brief visit to the site)
This feature has already been purchased however cannot be used as it features a space before the comma between names, which is something that needs fixing. The latter, xenForo deny ever used to exist, so I doubt they will bring this back given they claim it never existed; which is absolute rubbish given I remember it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Might I also kindly remind people, that this is not our software, therefore many of the changes people are asking, cannot be done. Sadly.

Jona26

Would it be possible to reinstate the ability to click to a specific page when opening a topic? For example, if a thread had 16 pages you used to be able to open page, say, 14 straight away.

Also could page numbers be put back onto the top of a topic page, save scrolling all the way down to the botton just to click forward or back a page? It just seems that since the upgrade it's more difficult to navigate around a particular topic.

Thanks.

Definitely agree with this!

dosxuk

Established Member
Would it be possible to reinstate the ability to click to a specific page when opening a topic? For example, if a thread had 16 pages you used to be able to open page, say, 14 straight away.

Also could page numbers be put back onto the top of a topic page, save scrolling all the way down to the botton just to click forward or back a page? It just seems that since the upgrade it's more difficult to navigate around a particular topic.

Thanks.

Absolutely this. Forum is unusable on mobile without these basic features.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely this. Forum is unusable on mobile without these basic features.
You can go to the page you want, just click on the number and type in where you want to go.

skyhigh

Established Member
I don’t think this is an error, it’s just replicating how the previous software works. So you would like it to go to the end of the previous post? I think that could be done.
I think it'd be better jumping to the top of the blue bar at the top of a post, not the bottom of it if you see what I mean?

dosxuk

Established Member
You can go to the page you want, just click on the number and type in where you want to go.

The page numbers aren't shown until you go into a topic though, and furthermore, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page before you can get to that control.

If they were on the top of a topic page, like they are on the desktop version, or if they were on the topics page, like they are on the desktop version, there wouldn't be a problem. As it currently stands, on the mobile site there's no differentiation between a topic with 200 pages and a topic with one, and no way to find out until you've read the first page to the bottom.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The page numbers aren't shown until you go into a topic though, and furthermore, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page before you can get to that control.

If they were on the top of a topic page, like they are on the desktop version, or if they were on the topics page, like they are on the desktop version, there wouldn't be a problem. As it currently stands, on the mobile site there's no differentiation between a topic with 200 pages and a topic with one, and no way to find out until you've read the first page to the bottom.
Unfortunately that is per design of the forum software. I could request someone is paid to fix this, if we have enough money to facilitate this.

daveo

Thanks.

You could use keyboard shortcuts - Ctrl/End = foot of page, Ctrl/Home = top of page. I don't know how this would work on a mobile though!

superjohn

I have found that both issues can by solved by rotating my phone to landscape mode. That way the last three page numbers show as clickable boxes in the topic list and at the top of the page if you open a thread. Both disappear if you view the forum in portrait. This is using Safari on an IPhone XR, iOS 13.4.

lammergeier

I have found that both issues can by solved by rotating my phone to landscape mode. That way the last three page numbers show as clickable boxes in the topic list and at the top of the page if you open a thread. Both disappear if you view the forum in portrait. This is using Safari on an IPhone XR, iOS 13.4.
You're absolutely right! How odd. Hopefully that means that the facility is there so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt so it works portrain mode as well?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You're absolutely right! How odd. Hopefully that means that the facility is there so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt so it works portrain mode as well?
It is still there on desktop. Isn’t odd; it was removed as a conscious decision on mobile view because of complaints about clutter at top of page.

lammergeier

It is still there on desktop. Isn’t odd; it was removed as a conscious decision on mobile view because of complaints about clutter at top of page.
I meant it's odd it's available in landscape on mobile but not portrait. Well since a few people have agreed with me, can it be put back, even if just for a trial? It's a lot, lot easier to navigate with it available on mobile in portrait mode.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I meant it's odd it's available in landscape on mobile but not portrait. Well since a few people have agreed with me, can it be put back, even if just for a trial? It's a lot, lot easier to navigate with it available on mobile in portrait mode.
Unfortunately as said before, I am not a software developer or designer; this is not custom built software but something that could be described as “off the shelf” and is used by countless websites across the world.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's likely that the website interface dynamically scales with the horizontal resolution available, a feature common on many modern websites as it means there's no longer a 'dedicated' mobile version of the site. Turning your phone into landscape increases the width of the site so more of the page content can be sensibly fit in; you'd likely get a slightly different layout if you viewed the site on a tablet.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's likely that the website interface dynamically scales with the horizontal resolution available, a feature common on many modern websites as it means there's no longer a 'dedicated' mobile version of the site. Turning your phone into landscape increases the width of the site so more of the page content can be sensibly fit in.
That’s exactly the reason; people complained that the top of the page was too cluttered.

Crossover

Established Member
This feature has already been purchased however cannot be used as it features a space before the comma between names, which is something that needs fixing. The latter, xenForo deny ever used to exist, so I doubt they will bring this back given they claim it never existed; which is absolute rubbish given I remember it!

Thanks for the reply - glad it isn't just me going mad!

It's likely that the website interface dynamically scales with the horizontal resolution available, a feature common on many modern websites as it means there's no longer a 'dedicated' mobile version of the site. Turning your phone into landscape increases the width of the site so more of the page content can be sensibly fit in; you'd likely get a slightly different layout if you viewed the site on a tablet.

The other aspect is that not all mobiles are the same - indeed, I have used the site on different phones (pre-upgrade) and because the screen resolution can vary between them a fair bit, I have had different "looks" on each

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it possible for the forum staff to say what website member suggestions are felt to be able to be included as part of this upgrade and when will these take place?
I believe Mojo has addressed them all or are any there any that have been missed?

_toommm_

Established Member
One thing that I’m not sure whether it’s been mentioned... before I would be able to write a post, skip back a few pages, and the draft post would remain at the bottom. With the upgrade, a draft post will disappear as soon as I navigate away onto a different page.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
A general question from me, which admittedly isn't connected to the upgrade, in a member's profile it shows how many 'messages' they have accumulated. What does this represent? Presumably not postings as people's number would be much higher than shown, so what constitutes a 'message'?
Just curious.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A general question from me, which admittedly isn't connected to the upgrade, in a member's profile it shows how many 'messages' they have accumulated. What does this represent? Presumably not postings as people's number would be much higher than shown, so what constitutes a 'message'?
Just curious.
Yes, this is their postcount (excluding the Quizzes & Games forum).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This feature has already been purchased however cannot be used as it features a space before the comma between names, which is something that needs fixing.

I do hope the problem you refer to is indeed something that can be fixed, with the website having already purchased the said item. Is there any updated information on progression?

Crossover

Established Member
I see we have a new feature now, which shows on the home page how many are viewing each section

I can't find the post in here off-hand, but the toggles are back for collapsing each sub-forum, too

td97

Established Member
The issue is that it clips off some of the text, i.e. the page loads slightly too low.
Screenshot_20200504_093427_com.android.chrome.jpg
Are you aware you can select the box at the top of the page which states "x of X" and type in your desired page number?
also at the bottom showed how many more unread posts there were on the following pages (useful to gauge how much more there is to read and whether to continue if on a brief visit to the site)
I also miss the unread post count for the next pages of a thread. E.g. I am more likely to finish reading 1 or 2 posts on the next page, than (say) 29 if time-pressed.

It is also not clear how to save drafts on mobile? I think this can be done by selecting "Preview", but the dedicated save button is missing compared to the desktop version

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The issue is that it clips off some of the text, i.e. the page loads slightly too low.
Screenshot_20200504_093427_com.android.chrome.jpg
This is a change from earlier requests and looks right to me.
It is also not clear how to save drafts on mobile? I think this can be done by selecting "Preview", but the dedicated save button is missing compared to the desktop version
Same as always, this is an automatic thing.

lammergeier

Are you aware you can select the box at the top of the page which states "x of X" and type in your desired page number?

That is a welcome addition which has appeared since I made my post on the subject. Previously it was only on the bottom on the page.

MotCO

Established Member
One thing that intrigues me with the new look forum: what determines the colour of the avatar showing your initial? At first I assumed it was related to the position in the alphabet, but identical initials can have different coloured backgrounds.

Domh245

Established Member
I've noticed that double clicking on a sub-forums name in the main listing will mark it as read (alongside the usual methods with the semaphore and the dedicated button) - is this behaviour intentional? I've accidentally marked a few subforums as read with rapid clicking since the upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.