• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free postage of tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
It can be done for "any named card". Or possibly, more accurately, "any named card that the system recognises as the same name" but it isn't as catchy! This can vary, depending on the card encoder. But cards that are registered to the same name, even if they don't have that name on them, can be identified.
This just isn't true though! The TVM doesn't have access to that much data

There are a couple of technically possible but not permitted ways to check whether the cards are owned by the same person (e.g. attempt a cardholder-not-present transaction with the postcode) but there just isn't a simple foolproof legal way to tell whether a card presented at the TVM is owned by the same person owning the card used to buy a ticket online
Back in the day, I often used a Tesco Ireland Clubcard. But that was when it appeared to be 'same card, no reference required' or 'any card plus booking reference'.

I would have thought that was fairly obvious: it is to provide for an audit trail in the case of fraud.

If, by default, a TVM issued tickets with only a booking reference, then it would be hard to prove it was not you who collected them in the case of a fraud. If that TVM can record that the holder of card X entered the booking reference to obtain the tickets, then (if necessary), card X can be identified. This could enable the police (or whoever) to trace the holder.

So, using my earlier example, if there had been a query about who actually collected the tickets, the TVM could show which card was used. The card number would identify that it was a Tesco Ireland Clubcard and that could lead to identifying that it was me (or someone who had my Clubcard) who collected the tickets.
This would make some sense. Does this actually happen? I don't recall any TVM ever showing me a privacy policy or explaining that it's going to remember my card number...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
If, by default, a TVM issued tickets with only a booking reference, then it would be hard to prove it was not you who collected them in the case of a fraud. If that TVM can record that the holder of card X entered the booking reference to obtain the tickets, then (if necessary), card X can be identified. This could enable the police (or whoever) to trace the holder.

So, using my earlier example, if there had been a query about who actually collected the tickets, the TVM could show which card was used. The card number would identify that it was a Tesco Ireland Clubcard and that could lead to identifying that it was me (or someone who had my Clubcard) who collected the tickets.
No details of the card used for collection are recorded. For 'any card' collection it is simply the specification for ToD that requires that a card is entered to initiate the collection. This is, effectively, any readable mag stripe card. For 'same card' collection there is no reason to record the details of the card as it can only be one card. This can only be overridden at a staffed sales point so by default if a 'same card' ToD has been collected at a TVM, then the purchasing card has been used.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You said they cannot read the name. If I've misunderstood this assertion then I apologise for that. It is possible to do so.

I've never heard of TVMs doing it before and am pleased to see that this matches your experience. It would be nice to be able to reconcile this with Deafdoggie's claims (although I must say it seems unlikely in the extreme that a TVM could read a name from a Nectar card!)

The TVMs are not able to read the card name. They don’t reconcile the name of the cardholder with that of the booking. This is because there is no practical need for this to happen (and some good reasons why it is actually undesirable which you outline later on in the thread).

That’s not the same thing as saying that a bank card cannot have the name read from a swipe or chip with the right software or kit.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It is technically possible. We do it at work (non-rail) some sites the bank insist must be same-card collection. Most are any card in the same name (although advertised to the public as same-card to avoid confusion) and a very few are any card, as it’s widely thought to be useless, but the couple of sites we use it at have their own reasons for it.
Whatever system is used, no details are stored, just checked. Apart from the last one, where there is nothing to check. If you needed to prove who collected them, it’s just CCTV

paddington

For 'same card' collection there is no reason to record the details of the card as it can only be one card.

I have a card and a supplementary card in my wife's name, which have the same 16-digit number but different CVVs

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have a card and a supplementary card in my wife's name, which have the same 16-digit number but different CVVs
In which case they should both be able to collect a ticket booked with the other.

najaB

Veteran Member
I have to buy tickets online for an elderly relative because EMT have now installed a ticket machine at her local station on the Robin Hood Line in Nottinghamshire and she can't buy her ticket on the train using her Senior Railcard as she's always done in the past.
Does she, by any chance, have anything that would qualify her for a Disabled Railcard (e.g. poor hearing)? Most TOCs allow DSB holders to purchase on board without penalty if they aren't able to buy before boarding.

Slightly stretching the rules but the railway wouldn't be out of pocket.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Does she, by any chance, have anything that would qualify her for a Disabled Railcard (e.g. poor hearing)? Most TOCs allow DSB holders to purchase on board without penalty if they aren't able to buy before boarding.

Slightly stretching the rules but the railway wouldn't be out of pocket.
Indeed, I was a little surprised to read that a hearing aid prescription is one possible qualifying factor for a Disabled Railcard. It seems that surely that's a little open to abuse?

najaB

Veteran Member
Indeed, I was a little surprised to read that a hearing aid prescription is one possible qualifying factor for a Disabled Railcard. It seems that surely that's a little open to abuse?
I have a friend whose brother-in-law is an audiologist, has perfect hearing and a DSB Railcard. That is all I'm saying on the matter.

DavidGrain

Established Member
This thread seems to have got way off topic. My point to the OP would be, If you know sufficiently in advance, say you relative went in to Nottingham every Thursday, could you not buy the tickets your self and send them first class post. I know this would cost you postage but it would be less than the postage charge by the TOC.

Going back to the second topic of this thread. My acknowledgements of my on line ticket purchases have always said I should use the same card as that with which I paid. I think however I did have one recently which said any card. I have also noticed that my name has been shown in small print on the tickets which could be checked against my railcard. Years ago I had a problem with a booking reference and the clerk in the booking office asked me to insert my card in his reader and was able to print out my tickets. Another time I had booked several journeys and had six booking reference. I tried the same thing and the ticket clerk took me to the machine and input the codes for me. My white hair might have had some significance in his helping me.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have also noticed that my name has been shown in small print on the tickets which could be checked against my railcard.
It's your name because you ordered the tickets. It has no bearing on who can use the tickets or what name should appear on any accompanying railcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.