• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free weekend upgrade on VT with STD anytime tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

swadbus

According to ATOC "the manual":

"Standard Class Anytime Return/Single

Customers travelling using this product on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday can upgrade to First Class on Virgin Trains services FREE OF CHARGE."

So... If I were to use a STD class PRIV to purchase a STD anytime ticket and wish to travel to Manchester from London with VT... Theoretically I can use first class as it is an Anytime Ticket assuming it is weekend or bank holiday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
According to ATOC "the manual":

"Standard Class Anytime Return/Single

Customers travelling using this product on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday can upgrade to First Class on Virgin Trains services FREE OF CHARGE."

So... If I were to use a STD class PRIV to purchase a STD anytime ticket and wish to travel to Manchester from London with VT... Theoretically I can use first class as it is an Anytime Ticket assuming it is weekend or bank holiday?

I don't see why not. ALL Standard Anytime tickets qualify for a free upgrade - no exceptions are mentioned in Avantix.

WestCoast

Established Member
The leaflet explaining the conditions of the offer mentions "asking the train manager" before sitting in First. Is this the correct procedure? I always buy off-peak/advances and have never done it before...

Is it acceptable to upgrade on shorter journeys such as Preston-Crewe?

All Line Rover

Established Member
The leaflet explaining the conditions of the offer mentions "asking the train manager" before sitting in First. Is this the correct procedure? I always buy off-peak/advances and have never done it before...

Yes, it is acceptable on ALL journeys. We frequently travel as a family between Crewe and Manchester on weekends. For 2 Adults and 2 Children with a Family Railcard, the fares are:
  • £15.50 Off-Peak Day Return
  • £20.00 Anytime Return

So it's just £4.50 extra for FOUR PEOPLE to upgrade in BOTH DIRECTIONS (about 50p per person each way!). We get buiscuits and drinks on board, and access to BOTH First Class lounges! :D

On Pendolinos you do not have to ask the Train Manger before sitting in First Class, because it is very empty at weekends. When we travelled on Monday 25th April (Bank Holiday) there was just 1 other person in all 4 coaches! You might want to ask the TM before sitting in First Class on Super Voyagers, as it can still fill up on weekends (particularly between Birmingham and Crewe) and the offer is "subject to availability."

scotsman

Established Member
Virgin tells passengers wishing to upgrade just to sit in 1st, and pay the upgrade when the TM comes round

swadbus

My main query relates to the use of this offer when the tickets are purchased using PRIV?

All Line Rover

Established Member
My main query relates to the use of this offer when the tickets are purchased using PRIV?

As I said above, you should encounter no problems. A PRIV Anytime ticket is still an Anytime ticket, so it still qualifies for a free upgrade.

swadbus

Thanks for the replies. I can see some ingenious splits coming up to try and take advantage of this. :)

WestCoast

Established Member
Yes, it is acceptable on ALL journeys. We frequently travel as a family between Crewe and Manchester on weekends.

I've been a regular traveller on Virgin for short distances for years and I've always thought you wouldn't be able to. So I'll pay the few quid extra for an Anytime and go first class, thanks for that! <:D

I am sure they are the only TOC to offer this, East Coast certainly don't!

MCR247

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but related, does anyone know how to set up the free wifi on VT?

You connect to it like a normal Wi-fi network and then just open your browser as normal and then the instructions should come up :)

rail-britain

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but related, does anyone know how to set up the free wifi on VT?
Simply connect to the available network and launch a browser window
A LogIn page then appears

However, out of Euston sometimes the network is not activated until 1 minute before departure
Southbound out of Glasgow there is no such issue, the network stays active all the time

swadbus

Couple more queries...

Would an ALR bought at STD using PRIV qualify for this weekend /BH first class VT offer?

Also, I have a TFL staff pass, that is valid as far as Watford Junction. I'm led to believe this would be treated as an open ended season for ticketing purposes (feel free to correct me!).... So would it be acceptable to travel from Euston to Crewe for example with VT, use my staff pass Euston to Watford Junction then continue the journey using Watford junction to Crewe using my Priv? (VT trains are often pickup / set down only at Watford Junction) Would this combination be valid as per section 19 of NRCoC?

island

Veteran Member
Couple more queries...

Would an ALR bought at STD using PRIV qualify for this weekend /BH first class VT offer?
Don't think so, as it's not an anytime ticket (SOS/SOR).
Also, I have a TFL staff pass, that is valid as far as Watford Junction. I'm led to believe this would be treated as an open ended season for ticketing purposes (feel free to correct me!).... So would it be acceptable to travel from Euston to Crewe for example with VT, use my staff pass Euston to Watford Junction then continue the journey using Watford junction to Crewe using my Priv? (VT trains are often pickup / set down only at Watford Junction) Would this combination be valid as per section 19 of NRCoC?
I think it does as long as the train calls at Watford Junction. Don't think a staff pass is a season ticket or leisure travel pass.

John @ home

Established Member
Yes, it is acceptable on ALL journeys.
The offer applies where Anytime Single/Return fares exist and are being used. So a Preston - Crewe Anytime ticket is OK because there are SOS/SOR fares but a Preston - Wigan ticket is not because there are only Anytime Day Single/Return fares (SDS/SDR).

The leaflet explaining the conditions of the offer mentions "asking the train manager" before sitting in First.
Virgin tells passengers wishing to upgrade just to sit in 1st, and pay the upgrade when the TM comes round
It would be good to resolve this contradiction. WestCoast, which leaflet is this? Is there a pdf version available online?

Details of PRIV entitlements and restrictions are on the ATOC Staff Travel pages.

I am sure they [Virgin] are the only TOC to offer this
Agreed.

WestCoast

Established Member
The offer applies where Anytime Single/Return fares exist and are being used. So a Preston - Crewe Anytime ticket is OK because there are SOS/SOR fares but a Preston - Wigan ticket is not because there are only Anytime Day Single/Return fares (SDS/SDR).

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps on this forum) that someone had asked Virgin by e-mail whether or not the "anytime day" tickets were acceptable and they said yes.

It would be good to resolve this contradiction. WestCoast, which leaflet is this? Is there a pdf version available online?

I couldn't find an online version of the "travelling with Virgin Trains" booklet, which is only available from ticket offices in printed format. However, NRES says:

NRES Weekend Upgrade Guide said:
On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

First class

Established Member
TPE let standard season ticket holders in First at a weekend don't they? Not identical to the VT easement, but similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.