• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom Pass and fast GWR services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper

This is a fares query for those of you familiar with the GWR out of Paddington.

I’m planning a day out from London to Swindon on Wednesday, travelling out as early as economically possible and returning from Swindon about 17:00. I want to use fast trains from Paddington, and I prefer flexible tickets. I hold a Senior Railcard and a Freedom Pass.

It looks as though an Off-Peak Return London Terminals to Swindon at £41.70, first available on the 09:00, could suit me. There appear to be no material restrictions on my return travel.

Although there is no fare from Boundary Zone 6 to Swindon, there is a fare from the last station in Zone 6 which is West Drayton. The Off-Peak Return West Drayton to Swindon (not via London) is only £30.95. Am I allowed to use this ticket in combination with my Freedom Pass (valid from 09:30) on the 09:30 from Paddington, and return late afternoon?

Even if theoretically permitted, am I likely to get any resistance from GWR staff, either in the Paddington ticket office or elsewhere? (ISTR that when the long-distance and suburban services were in separate franchises, the long-distance franchise would not recognise Travelcards or Freedom Passes.)

As ever, the assistance of the Forum would be appreciated.

As an aside, it would be really useful if the booking sites could be enhanced to recognise the passenger’s existing holding of a Freedom Pass, or indeed of any season ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Although there is no fare from Boundary Zone 6 to Swindon, there is a fare from the last station in Zone 6 which is West Drayton. The Off-Peak Return West Drayton to Swindon (not via London) is only £30.95. Am I allowed to use this ticket in combination with my Freedom Pass (valid from 09:30) on the 09:30 from Paddington, and return late afternoon?
Yes, that's all fine.

A Freedom Pass is an area based ticket, so the train does not need to stop where you switch between that and the off peak return. It's also valid on GWR trains. The off peak return you quote has restriction YC, which has no evening afternoon restriction going towards London.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If you don't mind restricting yourself to trains that call at Didcot Parkway, you can bring the price down even further to just £18.40 by purchasing a Boundary Zone 6 to Didcot Parkway Off-Peak Day Return (£10.75 with Railcard discount) and a Didcot Parkway to Swindon Off-Peak Day Return (£7.65).

This works because Didcot Parkway marks the boundary of the former Network SouthEast area, so has traditionally enjoyed lower fares than Swindon.

PeterC

Established Member
If the Mayor sticks to the pledge of making all Oyster based tickets including Freedom Passes valid to Reading on the Elizabeth Line I imagine that the GWR trains will be excluded. If this happens will it affect the ability to split at the zone boundary as suggested above?

Joe Paxton

Established Member
If the Mayor sticks to the pledge of making all Oyster based tickets including Freedom Passes valid to Reading on the Elizabeth Line I imagine that the GWR trains will be excluded. If this happens will it affect the ability to split at the zone boundary as suggested above?

No.

The scenario above already exists with Watford Junction, Cheshunt and Shenfield with Freedom Passes (and 60+ Oyster cards) being valid to and from these stations only on London Overground / TfL Rail services - otherwise a Boundary Zone extension ticket is needed (i.e. for travel on the services of other TOCs).

Sleeper

I duly made the trip, using the split recommended by @CyrusWuff – thanks again. No problems in the booking office. The tickets weren’t checked at the gate-line (due to late train preparation) nor at all on the train.

I also tried out what I take to be Paddington’s “new TVMs” (as discussed in another thread) and found I could have bought the tickets there. So the machines allowed remote origins, including both an ordinary station (Didcot in this case) and a Boundary Zone.

island

Veteran Member
Boundary Zone tickets are for the most part only sold to destinations inside the so-called “Network Area”, which is why you weren’t able to find one to Swindon.

I see you had no issues with your journey and no gateline problems; the only snag I would have predicted a risk of is encountering a disagreeable GWR gateline staff member, of which there are many, refusing to let you through the gateline at Paddington with the Freedom Pass on some contrived reason.

island

Veteran Member
The platform 2-5 barriers at Paddington do not accept smartcards.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And are often staffed with people who like to make up their own rules....

Sleeper

The platform 2-5 barriers at Paddington do not accept smartcards.
The outward journey from Paddington was from platform 3. But because the train only became available near to departure time, the buffers-end barrier staff opened the gates and urged everyone through as quickly as possible. So no ticket check there.

The inward journey arrived at platform 4, which I left via the footbridge using my Freedom Pass. Not sure whether that counts as a smartcard in terms of @island's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.