• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevehw

Got the call Friday evening, it wasn't a withheld number.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best of luck at Watford pal. One thing I will say is that the first part you sat is a walk in the park compared to what you do down there.
I have an idea of what to expect so can do my homework and hopefully my best will be good enough. Just have to wait and see!

Hunter.ed

Got the call Friday evening, it wasn't a withheld number.

I have an idea of what to expect so can do my homework and hopefully my best will be good enough. Just have to wait and see!

Good Luck! I had a missed call at about 16:30 but it was a 'no caller ID' so unlikely to have been that much wanted Golden phone call. Looks like my quest ends here

EvoGSR

I've been following this thread for a while, though it's gone strangely quiet! I was at Watford yesterday and have just had a very welcome voicemail from Corinne. Congrats to those of you through to the DMIs, commiserations to those who aren't. Everyone I've met at the two assessments seem like great guys, so the next stage is going to be even harder I suspect!

Daz9284

I've been following this thread for a while, though it's gone strangely quiet! I was at Watford yesterday and have just had a very welcome voicemail from Corinne. Congrats to those of you through to the DMIs, commiserations to those who aren't. Everyone I've met at the two assessments seem like great guys, so the next stage is going to be even harder I suspect!

Congratulations, you found out very quickly. If the FLIM DMI is anything like the FLHH one, then it's a walk in the park compared the the tests you've already done.

Regards
Darryl

Nic nic

Have too agree this thread has gone incredibly quiet.
I was pretty impressed at the speed that HR managed to tell us our results.
To be honest I personally feel it would be foolish to expect the next interview to be easy, remember that appearances can be misleading...

Daz9284

Have too agree this thread has gone incredibly quiet.
I was pretty impressed at the speed that HR managed to tell us our results.
To be honest I personally feel it would be foolish to expect the next interview to be easy, remember that appearances can be misleading...

The FLHH one asked stuff like:
What do I know about the company and the role of a train driver
Am I ok doing nights and weekends
Do I have a driving licence
Am I ok working on own for long periods of time

infiltrator

Am not at Watford until next week - just booked the hotel now for the night before.

I wonder why some have already gone to Watford then?

Anybody else there next week?

My email suggests that if we pass stage 2, then DMI will be 3rd week July! so not long off.

Fingers crossed.
Any tips for stage 2?

flimflam

Good luck to all of you who are applying for Freightliner trainee drivers posts. I was until a month ago a driver with Intermodal. If you like anti social hours and the lowest wage in the freight industry then it's the company to go for. That's the negative bit!

The positives are worth having though. Firstly, it's a step through the door into the driving grade. When I joined the railway way back in BR days getting your drivers ticket was never easy. I waited 10 years for my drivers job, so you guys in comparison have it made - assuming you get through the interview/psychometric stages, then the rules and practical handling you will be in a position of having a secure job in an industry where you will ALWAYS be in demand.

Keep your nose clean, and your head below the parapet and you will be able to move companies at will. I know of more than one 'new' driver having done their post qualifying years as per contract at Freightliner and moved straight away to XC where the money is far far better, if work content rather soul destroying.

Several of my former colleagues have also left the UK for drivers positions in Australia, they are also short on what is technically a skilled worker, but they do require Freight experience.

Basically, if you keep your nose clean and remain healthy then you have a job for life. The railways have been good to me over the last 25 years or so and given me a good quality of life (at the cost of a conventional social life).

There you go, a bit of insider gen. Wish you all luck.

EvoGSR

Am not at Watford until next week - just booked the hotel now for the night before.

I wonder why some have already gone to Watford then?

Anybody else there next week?

My email suggests that if we pass stage 2, then DMI will be 3rd week July! so not long off.

Fingers crossed.
Any tips for stage 2?

I think there were more passes at stage 1 than anticipated so they had to arrange an extra day. There's only 6 per day at stage 2. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that. Advice for stage 2? Not really other than what has already been said in the forum threads. Remember that the computer tests are designed to put you under a little pressure so don't panic! Everyone came out thinking that they'd probably failed. The WAFV I found the easiest. On the ATATV I found it hard not to second guess myself and on the 2Hand the joystick kept getting jumpy/jittery (but everyone had the same issue, so, with hindsight, it's probably testing your reaction to these unexpected errors).

The SJE I thought was more straightforward than the examples in the practice material, or at least the actions seemed more clear cut. The MMI was just over an hour and was quite straightforward really. The interviewer didn't give much away, but it was by no means adversarial like some have had. That said, I had no clue as to the result of the MMI, expected the worst but hoped for the best!

Good luck next week anyway. Corinne has been exemplary and I've been really impressed with FL in this process, there seems to be none of the usual uncertainty that seems to come with railway recruitment. Just got to hope I can overcome the odds one more time!
Congratulations, you found out very quickly. If the FLIM DMI is anything like the FLHH one, then it's a walk in the park compared the the tests you've already done.

Regards
Darryl

Thanks mate, I'll not be relaxing just yet though! Just hope the questions on the day are on stuff I've genned up on. Thanks for the interview question pointers too.
There you go, a bit of insider gen. Wish you all luck.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I take it you've now retired, if so congratulations!

To be honest the shifts I put in now leave little room for a social life, so no change there. I'm just hopeful that FLIM are slightly better resourced than my current employer, where there is continual pressure to do overtime and rest day working, especially during these summer months.

Is it a 4 or a 5 day week or does this vary between depots? What are the rest day patterns like and are there several links or just one big link?

Last edited:

stevehw

Got the call Friday morning after Thursday testing at Watford. So relieved and as stated before such a quick process of getting the results back to you which is very welcoming as nothing worse than the waiting game. So should expect an email Monday. Did anybody ask where the DMI'S would be held, I forgot to ask. Cheers Steve

Jace69er

Think that's fast. When I sat it with DRS I got a call on the train coming home from Watford to tell me I passed lol.

Good luck with the interviews guys

EvoGSR

Got the call Friday morning after Thursday testing at Watford. So relieved and as stated before such a quick process of getting the results back to you which is very welcoming as nothing worse than the waiting game. So should expect an email Monday. Did anybody ask where the DMI'S would be held, I forgot to ask. Cheers Steve

Crewe ;)

Jace69er

Got my interview date today. Very chuffed. Although I noticed there is yet another aptitude test on the interview day. Never heard of this before

EvoGSR

Got my interview date today. Very chuffed. Although I noticed there is yet another aptitude test on the interview day. Never heard of this before

Is yours at Basford Hall too Jace? No idea what topic to pick for a presentation yet, though plenty of time to ponder. 1.5 hours should be a good grilling! Best of luck on the interview.

Notthatgood

Wow you guys have to do a presentation for getting a trainee driver? I remember back in the day it was test, normal interview and a medical!

stevehw

So how has everybody, who's had them, found the DMI'S, presentations and aptitude test??

infiltrator

So how has everybody, who's had them, found the DMI'S, presentations and aptitude test??

Not got mine until next week.

Bit gutted that we have got this presentation and aptitude test - feels like a tie breaker scenario to me, a few of us do 'good' on the interview part, then they can fall back on the tests and presentation to decide the winner/s - which is fair enough, but would be gutting if you failed due to scoring 1% less then the guy next to you.

Hopefully it wont be an issue - but if less had passed the testing, then am guessing we wouldn't have had to pass the extra tests. If there is an intake next year for example, and loads fail the stage 1 or 2 - I wonder if they will still do the extra tests at the DMI? am guessing not.

Anybody had any ideas what to do for there presentation? and, anybody bringing equipment? like flipchart? - I note that we will have no computer, or powerpoint etc or projector.

5 minutes is no time at all to present something!

Good luck to everybody - I guess the initial sifting process really did work, in that the majority of us, if not all of us, that were identified as possible candidates during application, initial test and telephone interview, then went on to pass the psychometrics! very efficient!

Got my fingers and toes crossed - just hope the pressure doesn't get to me, being so close, yet so god dam far :/

Best of luck

Steve

Last edited:

stevehw

Not got mine until next week.

Bit gutted that we have got this presentation and aptitude test - feels like a tie breaker scenario to me, a few of us do 'good' on the interview part, then they can fall back on the tests and presentation to decide the winner/s - which is fair enough, but would be gutting if you failed due to scoring 1% less then the guy next to you.

Hopefully it wont be an issue - but if less had passed the testing, then am guessing we wouldn't have had to pass the extra tests. If there is an intake next year for example, and loads fail the stage 1 or 2 - I wonder if they will still do the extra tests at the DMI? am guessing not.

Anybody had any ideas what to do for there presentation? and, anybody bringing equipment? like flipchart? - I note that we will have no computer, or powerpoint etc or projector.

5 minutes is no time at all to present something!

Good luck to everybody - I guess the initial sifting process really did work, in that the majority of us, if not all of us, that were identified as possible candidates during application, initial test and telephone interview, then went on to pass the psychometrics! very efficient!

Got my fingers and toes crossed - just hope the pressure doesn't get to me, being so close, yet so god dam far :/

Best of luck

Steve

From my reckoning there's 41 of us left. The extra tests are another sifting process, I'm wondering if the aptitude test will be on the very tough side. They wouldn't want everybody finishing/getting them all right as that would defeat the object of it. We will find out soon enough.
I'm wondering how long they'll leave it until they let us know if we're successful or not.
This is the final hurdle, hope everyone the best of luck!

EvoGSR

I've just come back from a week away and have a voicemail from them yesterday. Have the interviews been postponed? I've paid for 2 plane tickets, a train ticket, a hire car and a hotel to get there and back around my shifts next week...

I've just come back from a week away and have a voicemail from them yesterday. Have the interviews been postponed? I've paid for 2 plane tickets, a train ticket, a hire car and a hotel to get there and back around my shifts next week...

What kind of voicemail? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.