• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator

Well surely it would benefit the company to promote an internal employee who has built up a credible file with the company, who is already proven to be a hard worker and reliable, than someone new off the street? Of coarse everyone deserves a chance at it, but it's kinda seen as a level of progression within the company.

Whilst being reliable and hardworking is (IMHO) very important - it is surely not the only quality required, and if you can prove these qualities as an external applicant (references etc) but then also have a wealth of other qualities then surely it would make sense to hire the external applicant over the internal applicant?

So, lets say you have been an air traffic controller in the RAF (concentration, safety) and an instructor in martial arts (discipline, reactions) and then a HGV driving instructor (observation, awarness) combined with knowledge on the transportation of chemicals etc, and now working as a data analyst (details etc), as well as various awards for voluntary work etc - combined with being reliable and hardworking - surely it makes sense why they would look to recruit externally as well as internally.

Whilst this may seem quite far fetched - there are thousands of applicants for these roles so not impossible that some external applicants have skill sets that will give them the best possible chance / start at being a trainee, when compared to an internal applicant who is reliable and hardworking.

Also - what about the jobs you guys will have to leave within the TOC? perhaps the TOC are concerned that they paid to train you for it, you are good at it and have a lot of experience - you are hardworking and reliable and the position is not as easy to fill, might go against you ;)

On the other hand though, it might have been a nice idea for HR/Bosses at the various TOC's to approach current employees - 'we have noticed how hardworking you are, and think you have the qualities to train to be a driver.....' and invite you to apply. If you fail it would be your fault, but the company have just nicely recognised your hardwork etc :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kelv

It really wouldn't take a great deal of time or effort for companies to send out a "sorry but you have been unsuccessful" email, in this case there wasn't even an 'application received' one either.
The 'sorry' email is just a matter of courtesy really & I think companies should be encouraged or even forced to do so, when people are looking for jobs there's nothing worse than just being left hanging.... and if a persons unemployed its copies of these type of things that they need to provide to whoever.

infiltrator

Well done mate, all the best. As for me... Phone sat silent, so I guess I fell at the first hurdle!!

With so many applicants, it could be that they are making contact in phases....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It really wouldn't take a great deal of time or effort for companies to send out a "sorry but you have been unsuccessful" email, in this case there wasn't even an 'application received' one either.
The 'sorry' email is just a matter of courtesy really & I think companies should be encouraged or even forced to do so, when people are looking for jobs there's nothing worse than just being left hanging.... and if a persons unemployed its copies of these type of things that they need to provide to whoever.

Completley agree pal - especially when you consider that it can take several months, so you are not really sure if you have indeed 'failed' until a lot of time has passed, and even then, I have seen people write that they were contacted many months down the line to join the next phase!

Timpg

Yes unfortunately I agree with you about internal applicants leaving positions to start in another. It has been mentioned it may go against us as yes it does take a lot of time and resources to train someone up into a position. The feeling I'm having though is, I started with my toc at the bottom position to get my foot in the door, I always wanted to work for them and was over joyed that I was accepted ( so I don't want to seem ungrateful). But Iv always been one for bettering myself, and career progression has always been something I aim for. In my depot there is only a few options/ paths to take. Driver, manager or loading supervisor, personally driver is the way I wish to go. I'd hate to feel like I'm being held back and unable to better myself because my company doesnt want to loose me from my current position.
Yea to be fair, they did say they would let you know by the middle of May so maybe there's still a glimmer of hope, if not I shall continue to apply in the future.
I do wish everyone else all the best though!

Jace69er

Just having a read at this thread and would like to say my 2p worth. I have already passed the drivers test last May and yet I have my phone interview tomorrow. So even if you have or haven't passed the test already you will still be given a phone interview if successful. Also bare in mind that they will have hundreds, if not thousands of applications to get through. So if you ain't heard anything yet don't panic

Had my interview today too. It's hard to tell whether it went well or not, it seemed to go so fast!

Infiltrator she just told me I'd be contacted 'soon' if I got through. Did she mention June specifically to you? She didn't say anything about that to me and it's making me think I probably didn't pass the interview if you were told that at the end. I've probably messed it up :(

Feel a bit flat after it to be honest, wish they'd just bloody tell you whether or not you were through at the end instead of leaving you hanging!

It was fast as they only have a 20 min slot with every person. Also don't feel down because they didn't mention June as maybe they forgot to say June. Or maybe you had a person who ain't been told when "soon" is exactly.

infiltrator

Had my interview today too. It's hard to tell whether it went well or not, it seemed to go so fast!

Infiltrator she just told me I'd be contacted 'soon' if I got through. Did she mention June specifically to you? She didn't say anything about that to me and it's making me think I probably didn't pass the interview if you were told that at the end. I've probably messed it up :(

Feel a bit flat after it to be honest, wish they'd just bloody tell you whether or not you were through at the end instead of leaving you hanging!

Mate - dont be dissapointed, the reason I was told 'June' was because I asked, simple as that.

387star

On Moderation
Yes unfortunately I agree with you about internal applicants leaving positions to start in another. It has been mentioned it may go against us as yes it does take a lot of time and resources to train someone up into a position. The feeling I'm having though is, I started with my toc at the bottom position to get my foot in the door, I always wanted to work for them and was over joyed that I was accepted ( so I don't want to seem ungrateful). But Iv always been one for bettering myself, and career progression has always been something I aim for. In my depot there is only a few options/ paths to take. Driver, manager or loading supervisor, personally driver is the way I wish to go. I'd hate to feel like I'm being held back and unable to better myself because my company doesnt want to loose me from my current position.
Yea to be fair, they did say they would let you know by the middle of May so maybe there's still a glimmer of hope, if not I shall continue to apply in the future.
I do wish everyone else all the best though!

I had the same problem a few years a go was working permanent nights with one TOC and it was very hard to find a replacement I ended up applying for a guard role which I got with another TOC as I didn't want to wait

winefarm

Has anyone been offered a telephone interview this week (or in the last few days)? It looks like it's time to assume those of us that haven't heard anything have not been successful now? If so, that will be my sixth time unsuccessful after varying degrees of progression down the application process with different companies.

All the best to those still in the hat.

winefarm

Thanks guys, I'm encouraged!

I'm often impressed by the optimism and goodwill on these forum discussions.

Nick82

Hey guys, I applied for the latest vacancy for a driver role, unfortunately I have not received a telephone call as of yet. Could anyone shed any light on is this a sign on being unsuccessful?

Timpg

Hey guys, I applied for the latest vacancy for a driver role, unfortunately I have not received a telephone call as of yet. Could anyone shed any light on is this a sign on being unsuccessful?

I would only assume so mate, I'm in the same situation. Iv been sitting next to the phone for what seems like an eternity in hope that I get the call..... Nothing but ppi calls!!

AD15

No, me either. Talent pool for heavy haul but can't get a interview for intermodal..... Bit disappointing really. Or well, est just wait for the coal to pick back up.

Daz9284

I would only assume so mate, I'm in the same situation. Iv been sitting next to the phone for what seems like an eternity in hope that I get the call..... Nothing but ppi calls!!

I don't even get those calls, just calls telling me I'm due compo for an accident I was in. I must have been in a bad one and got very bad memory loss and I don't remember being in an accident anytime in the last 30 years!

Timpg

I haven't heard anything either so am I to assume the worst? :(

To be honest, Iv given up hope this time round. Keep ears to ground and hope for better results next time. In all fairness, the aptitude test took me by suprise a bit, I'd spent a good 3 hrs odd making sure my application was the dogs ***** , taking time up to around 23.00pm during a week of 12hr shifts, probably was'nt the best time to be tested, but hey I'll be a bit more prepared next time....

JCLeeds

Really on a downer with FL. Applied 3 times now and never heard anything. Got almost to last hurdle with Northern but don't know what I am doing wrong with these guys

winefarm

Really on a downer with FL. Applied 3 times now and never heard anything. Got almost to last hurdle with Northern but don't know what I am doing wrong with these guys

I'm disappointed too (no phone call) but wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Wasn't it something like 8,000 applications for 15 places? Even if we were among the very best, say the top 1% of applications, they still have to whittle it down somehow and it could be very minor things that discount us. I have also done a bit better in the TOC application process, but it's one of the most difficult professions to get into.

Everywhere

if you haven't heard by now then its over, the online test and/or sift has eliminated you

Last edited:

stevehw

Hi. New to here. I have been successful in getting to the first stage psychometric testing in June at Crewe. I was just wondering if anybody knows the duration of the day and also the run of play for the day. I've never done these tests before and from reading on here it's obvious quite a few of you have.
Steve

stevehw

Did you find out today that you were successful?

No. I had a call to arrange the telephone interview late April/early May, had that mid May and from that was told I would receive an email a week or so before testing with location/times/prep work etc

Nic nic

ah I see think it will be mid June from what I was told but waiting on confirmation.

stevehw

yeah, 16th she said to me. have you done the tests before?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
there is the thread from last years intake that is quite a good read if you haven't already. quite informative for later on in the process, fingers crossed we get that far!!

Status
Not open for further replies.