• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goingloco

It appears that regrettably a number of people have been told their interviews have been cancelled to be rearranged for August.

As I was working when I took the call I could not ask the caller to elaborate on the reasons behind the decision. Unfortunately I, like others it appears had already paid for hotels etc in advance which I'm sure Freightliner will honour.

An unfortunate event but as long as the interview is rearranged I will use the additional time to prepare more thoroughly. Every cloud............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d_kingscott

Don't bother! I had a medical last August which I passed and guess what??? Still nearly 12 months later I'm in my current job still. They want you to bend over backwards but don't meet you half way. The company is a joke and run like one!!!

stevehw

I've just come back from a week away and have a voicemail from them yesterday. Have the interviews been postponed? I've paid for 2 plane tickets, a train ticket, a hire car and a hotel to get there and back around my shifts next week...
Wow, that's a lot of transport!

Rocket

At the moment, also with other FOC's up North, they have a problem with the power stations bulking up on coal due to the high tax. This as caused loss of traffic all over.

I not saying this is a reason, but any HH driver out of a job will take preference over you guys that would of or have a interview.

Freightliner will not take on newbies first, if there are staff out of a job.

Maybe Freightliner are seeing what the future holds, because if they take on loads of new staff and we are over depot quota, it will be you guys out of a job first.

Just a thought

387star

On Moderation
Don't bother! I had a medical last August which I passed and guess what??? Still nearly 12 months later I'm in my current job still. They want you to bend over backwards but don't meet you half way. The company is a joke and run like one!!!

Bit worrying to read this I have a medical coming up for thameslink but no start date yet amongst many others and people are being talent pooled after medical

I always assumed medicals couldn't be cheap so trust it is usually just a formality. HR have said everyone will get on courses so they are supporting that view

Goingloco

Hi,

Not requesting sensitive information but has anybody had their interview as yet? If so how long did the whole process take, presentation, test and interview?

Thanks

Nic nic

Hey,
Someone posted on my wall that they had theirs a couple of weeks back in tilbury I suspect it was an internal, either that or a troll lol

Jace69er

I have had mine. What I will say is that the test is nothing to worry about compared to what you have sat already.

As for the questions then that's down to you. Know your stuff. If your railway already then study your rules.

Also work hard at your presentation

Hope that helps

yerman164

Does anyone know when Freightliner will be informing candidates whether they have been successful?

Is anyone still waiting to do their interview?

EvoGSR

They should have all been done now. I was told we'll hear by the end of August. Where are you hoping for?

yerman164

Thanks. I am quite flexible in terms of location; I can re-locate anywhere. The closest locations available to me are Leeds, Birmingham and Crewe.

How about yourself, which location are you hoping for?

EvoGSR

I'm hoping for Eastleigh. I believe there were 3 of 16 positions pencilled in for there but subject to change. Everyone I've met so far whether applicant of staff have been really friendly so I'm keeping everything crossed. Best of luck!

Jace69er

My interview was the 28th of July. I was told we would find out towards the end of Aug and then they said "about three weeks time" so I imagine end of this week start of next.

Choo13

I Hurd on the grapevine that the next intake has been cancelled due to too many already experienced drivers being out of work an looking for jobs? Anyone else Hurd this?? Hope I'm wrong....

Jace69er

Also heard that Choo13. But not sure of that was the one we are in for or the one after as I believe there was one scheduled for early next year. Fingers crossed it's the one for early next year. If it is this one then that's twice in the space of a year that I haves aged to have a great interview and then jobs canceled. Happened with DRS also ??????

Hunter.ed

Choo13.....earlier in the thread you said you saw the new applicant trainer daily....surely you must be able to confirm whether this is true or not!!!

flimflam

After what I have just read, some of you guys may be a little disappointed. Due to a loss of approximately 50% of Heavy Hauls work (predominantly coal) it looks like a merger of FLI and FLHH could be on the cards and/or redundancies. I expect outside recruitment will be put on hold for the time being.

Choo13

Choo13.....earlier in the thread you said you saw the new applicant trainer daily....surely you must be able to confirm whether this is true or not!!!

Yes I did see him daily when he was teaching me my rules and regulations but now I'm back at my depot doing my driving hours I don't see him. There's a lot of talk about the next intake I wish I knew what was correct an what isn't.

flimflam

Yes I did see him daily when he was teaching me my rules and regulations but now I'm back at my depot doing my driving hours I don't see him. There's a lot of talk about the next intake I wish I knew what was correct an what isn't.

Check out your ASLEF notice case, FLHH are in deep doo doo. 50% loss of work = lots of drivers sat at home doing nothing. The proposal is to merge or transfer them to Intermodal who have a shortage of drivers.

Choo13

Check out your ASLEF notice case, FLHH are in deep doo doo. 50% loss of work = lots of drivers sat at home doing nothing. The proposal is to merge or transfer them to Intermodal who have a shortage of drivers.

Yes I have Hurd about that, it was only yesterday I spoke to a HH driver an he had been sat at home for 8 weeks. Coal has dried up and after the new people took over they couldn't believe we had 2 separate company's! Guess more will be revealed soon.

AD15

Yes I have Hurd about that, it was only yesterday I spoke to a HH driver an he had been sat at home for 8 weeks. Coal has dried up and after the new people took over they couldn't believe we had 2 separate company's! Guess more will be revealed soon.

The new American owners GW are changing a lot of things.

Last edited:

flimflam

The new American owners GW are changing a lot of things, and looking at cutting costs, I work for the maintenance side and I'm seeing sultle changes and expecting some big changes too. I too I'm on the dreaded "talent pool" for heavy haul driving, and must admit I'm not holding my breath for any type of good news this year or realistically next. Unless coal picks up drastically fast.

Saw it happen under Mengel and Heller at what used to be EWS. It's the American way, maximise profits by witholding investment and sweating the assets.

Goingloco

As I sat for my interview the interviewer stated that as the HH drivers were essentially 'sitting on their hands' there was no guarantee that the recruitment would proceed. I was told they would argue the case but the decision would be taken above their heads.

Very disheartening as we then cracked on with the interview and also the fact that I've spent in excess of £800 to get to this point.

I would say it looks unlikely to go as applicants would hope as they will probably have to take a commercial decision and move HH to intermodal........

Jace69er

Yeah. Email is as follows :

Hi

Thank you for attending the interview for the Trainee Train Drivers positions.

Despite having to re-schedule a few, we have now completed all of the interviews.

I understand that everyone has been advised that you would hear from us with the decision by the end of August.
Unfortunately, due to various reasons including annual leave and other business commitments we have not been able to get the management team together to finalise the decision.

Obviously, I understand that you are all anxious to know if you have been successful and we will endeavour to give you the decision as soon as possible.
However, I would imagine it will be another few weeks yet before I can contact you with the news.

I hope you are all enjoying the summer. I’ll be in touch again soon.

Thanks
Corinne
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It could be a genuine case of them running behind but it could also be to buy them time until they know what's happening to the work load and merger

Rocket

All recruitment as stopped, as far as I'm aware.

HH are reviewing the situation with the loss of traffic on the coal side. They have picked up some new work, but not in some key locations where they have more drivers than work.

No one will know until October, I think. What they may do is put out a internal vac list and some HH drivers will move to other HH depots or they will bring them to us at Intermodal.

As for trainees, I don't think you will see much trainee vac's in the future. As for the ones that have had interviews, etc, I don't think you guys will be progressed any further.

Its something that no one saw coming really, and has affected other FOC's, in the process.

Not heard anything about a merger...That's just railway rumour, not saying that it will happen...Me personally, containers are the way forward, we have loads of work and continue to grow.

Last edited:

Jace69er

Anyone had a definite knock back for this?

Last email I got said it's still going ahead but they were assessing the work loads throughout the country

Choo13

Anyone had a definite knock back for this?

Last email I got said it's still going ahead but they were assessing the work loads throughout the country

All future coarses have been cancelled. The next one won't be for a couple of years at least.

Jace69er

All future coarses have been cancelled. The next one won't be for a couple of years at least.

Do you work for inter HR? As the last email we got a week and a half ago assured us that it was going ahead. I believe this one has been agreed abd all HH ones are canceled abd any future inter ones. But what it did say was that the work load was being re assessed.

If it had been canceled they would have said there and then in the email we got most recently. They would have no reason to hang it out

Status
Not open for further replies.