• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner trainee driver positions ('Graduate scheme')

Status
Not open for further replies.

debadzuk79

Spoke to driver from FL last night. You must put 5 years in otherwise you have to pay back all costs for training etc (unsure of what this would be). Not that you would want to leave but just so you know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cerebral

Hello new to the forums myself \o been reading a while though!

I applied and received my letter and email yesterday Tuesday 03/06/14 as an above poster mentioned. I am sure many will hear probably today or in the following days. Best of luck to everyone who applied!

The Snap

Established Member
Are you assuming you're waiting for a DM interview or is that fact?
I too have recently passed all parts of the Driver Assessment (including MMI) with another FOC, so am interested to know if I would bypass the tests for FLHH and go straight to DM interview? (Assuming my application is successful of course).

Fact, Source: FLHH HR

Apparently. those that have passed the tests already have been placed on a list.
I am a little apprehensive about repeating what I was told, for fear of giving some the wrong idea.
My advice would be to contact their HR directly if you are unsure about any aspect of the process

That's fine, I appreciate that. I'll give them a ring (although last time a I spoke to them I got through to what seemed like some foreign call centre and spoke to someone who didn't really know what I was on about!)

Bluebri

Spoke to driver from FL last night. You must put 5 years in otherwise you have to pay back all costs for training etc (unsure of what this would be). Not that you would want to leave but just so you know.

Seems to be right. Drs are doing the same thing. You will also probably find that your salary increases incrementally over this period too and that you most likely won't get the full basic once you finish your initial training and become productive. I think they have all been burnt by people getting trained up and moving on relatively quickly.

garageflower

no letter for me this time or email :( good luck to all who progressed! was a good experience and my first application for a trainee drivers post, the first of many! if there is something i've got from my short time on this forum its not to be disheartened and if at first you don't succeed... try, try, try again!

danbarnstall

Got my letter this morning

Anyone have a rough idea of how many job openings are on offer?

Would be interesting to know how many people have been put through to testing

Kagster

I know from personal experience that perseverance is the best attribute. I have been shortlisted twice for different TOC's and I have applied for probably 5 in total.
I could have applied for more, but I have chosen to be selective.
This is because in my experience, the good companies shine through while the bad ones demonstrate their reputation regularly.

For those that are yet to receive a letter or email, it is highly unlikely that they would all come at the same time, most recruitment phases are implemented in a staggered manner simply because of staffing issues. There are only so many instructors and HR officers available after all.

In the end, keep at it. review your applications, save them so you can look back. Use what feedback you get to modify your next application, because the difference can simply be in the wording used.
It is also almost akin to a lottery and a numbers game, so even a good application will simply not be selected.

"If you gave up, you didn't deserve to succeed in the first place"!

r.roman

Nothing for me as well, but what have I expeced if I did least one wrong answer. I don't know how did it happen, but happened. I'm going to try in future.
Do you think it is reasonable to do all test by myself in testing centre? It cost about 01GBP800, but could benefit in next applications.
Hope dies last.

Fred Dinenage

Nothing here, just thinking out loud but i think saying " no" to relocation may have got me binned automatically, even though i live close to where HH are probably setting up a yard. Not so arrogant to think my application was perfect but i've gotten through the 3 sifts i've applied for before this one, already in a safety critical job, yadda yadda. Who knows? Disappointing! Or maybe it was the font i used? ;)

Last edited:

benno79

Hi Fred if you put no I doubt you would have got through the sift, I put no last year and having spoken to hr at the time it would have meant my application not being taken forward.

Fred Dinenage

Cheers Benno, honesty the best policy? Or is blagging the way forward? Rhetorical questions...i'm also aware that FL HR have posted on here, tho' i know they won't comment. Ah well, waiting is what it's all about. Back to trawling the vacancies!

winefarm

Nothing here, just thinking out loud but i think saying " no" to relocation may have got me binned automatically, even though i live 20 mins from where HH are probably setting up a yard. Not so arrogant to think my application was perfect but i've gotten through the 3 sifts i've applied for before this one, already in a safety critical job, yadda yadda. Who knows? Disappointing! Or maybe it was the font i used? ;)

No letter or email for me (including today's post) and I also put No to relocating, which is the honest answer with having children in school, a wife with a job, a mortgage.... It would be a shame if that was enough to dismiss an application, as I thought my application was pretty strong, although I know the competition is too.

Fred Dinenage

Especially when the advertised jobs are in your locale. Well, tough some will say. FL can do what they like, no surprise some choose to blag IF that's how they pare down numbers.

Texas

Guess what? I also ticked the 'No' box with reference to relocation and received no contact in the last 48 hours, I did not answer this question lightly as I WAS willing to 'stay away' whilst undergoing said training probably Mon-Fri ( which I deducted was to be carried out at Crewe anyone know differently) but was looking to be eventually employed at a depot in north Bristol.
I like to think that my PQA's acquired to date would have made a suitable application; Technical College (2 years) -Apprenticeship with Electricity Supply Industry (4 years)- Installation Electrician (5 years) -Operational FireFighter (20+ years)
But if ticking one box that had no room for further explanation has dismissed all the above out of hand then it may get ticked next time and be talked about at a later date!

Paul.

Sammy h

From what I can gather, the structured interview will not be on the first day of tests, is that correct? It looks as though all the other tests will be done and the structured interview will be completed on another day.

Norfolkline40

I've put No as well. Has anyone who put No been invited to the next stage?j

Last edited:

danbarnstall

I put no, only stated Crewe. I live in Crosby, which is quite a distance away as well

Very surprised (but delighted) to get through to testing.

ExTankieAaron

all ways say yes to relocate, for me im lucky to have Doncaster as my home town and their were openings here for FLHH and to that its the home of DBS and FLHH have a huge yard here as well as GBRf. If you think of it logically then youll know why you wont have been pulled through on relocation issues!
Im just counting down the days to Friday when i get all my mail.

Aaron.

Norfolkline40

Yes, always say yes to relocate, always say you were hero saved many people, always say you are cool as a cucumber and so on... Is it right?...

Texas

Guess what? I too ticked the 'No' option to "willing to relocate" but I was trying to apply for a job that was stated as being in my home city (Bristol) but I WAS willing to 'stay away' from home if the training was to be completed at say Crewe ( I am assuming Crewe anyone know different to this?) but there was no further explanation of the relocate option. So therefore I am guessing it was this tickbox choice that may have led to the fact that I have not had any correspondence back and the application never had a second look!

I like to think that this tickbox was the downfall as my PQAs should have gone someway to get a second look. College-Apprenticeship-Installation Electrician-Wholetime Firefighter-HGV-HIAB instructor/assessor-Trauma Trained but as stated above try try again......

Paul.

Norfolkline40

That's the point. For me the key is to tell the true, always. Unfortunately sometimes it doesn't work.:(

Last edited:

Theurbanjedi

Hello all,
I have been lurking here for a few days having applied for the FLHH Graduate Trainee Scheme. I'll be up in Crewe for the initial assessments on 17th June.
Hopefully will meet some of you there, or during the process.
I have read with interest the thread relating to the scheme advertised last year, and the length of time the application process takes - evidently around 6 months from start to finish.
I have no railway experience, barring some months 20 years ago as an RPI, and this is a complete career change for me!
Good luck to all who have applied, and I will update with progress.
Thanks
UJ

Cerebral

I am in June 17th at 12.45pm. First time applying, thankful to have got this far! Good luck to all, see you on the 17th those from the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.