• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Okay I’m reasonably happy with the DFFT practice questions now, at first it looks a bit overwhelming but it’s actually nicely sequential and logical.

Gonna try some Bourdon tomorrow, my eyes are too heavy right now and I don’t wanna depress myself.

And I’m not even thinking about the tone counting at the moment as that just makes me feel sad!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Static65

Yes, well Peak Forest. How did you go on with the VSE & SJT? Stillawaiting the results on mine...

Same over here, I've applied for Peak Forest too but not had any results back yet. Hopefully we might hear this week.

Static65

When did you do yours? I did the SJT yesterday and the VSE today.
Fingers crossed then fella.

I did both tests last Thursday, 1 much more confidently than the other unfortunately. Still excited to find out the result though. Hope yours has gone well.

Ian Hunt

I did both tests last Thursday, 1 much more confidently than the other unfortunately. Still excited to find out the result though. Hope yours has gone well.

Hopefully yours went well. I'm nervous as hell tbh; I'll be gutted if I don't get through but I know a made a couple of accidental (aren't they all?) f..ups in the VSE.
Good luck!

Stigy

Established Member
Hopefully yours went well. I'm nervous as hell tbh; I'll be gutted if I don't get through but I know a made a couple of accidental (aren't they all?) f..ups in the VSE.
Good luck!

I made a few cock ups in the VSE that I was aware of. It was one of those ones where I genuinely didn’t know how I did, but if I had to hedge my bets I’d have said I didn’t pass. Turns out I got through okay and it’s off to the next stage (fingers crossed that goes well). I think it has as much to do with redeeming yourself after the cock ups as it does about not making any cock ups in the first place. That’s the only way I’d have passed at least :D

Good luck!

xtradj

Has anyone done the dfft test on here for real? If so how dis similar are the practise questions to the real thing? And are they harder for real than the practise questions or similar?

mad1976cam

Has anyone done the dfft test on here for real? If so how dis similar are the practise questions to the real thing? And are they harder for real than the practise questions or similar?
I found the dfft practice material very easy.... BUT when it came to the real thing, I found it much harder. The exercises are similar but a bit more involved than the practice.
Some people in my round of assessments found it easy but for me that was not the case!
Anyway I passed it, so not too bad I guess

Cheggers

Got my email to say I don't need to turn up for stage 1 and I'll be progressing straight to stage 2. The email said to bear with them as they're still sorting the online tests out and then stage 1, so could be a bit of a wait.

Honest answer is I found actual Defft test harder but once I got into a rhythm found it ok but slow going. I only managed to get to q14 out of 20 but still was enough to pass thank God. My advice is to sort where each piece of paper is first as you get a few for that test.

Stigy

Established Member
Does anybody know if the 'stage 2' will be in Crewe again (same as stage 1) or somewhere different? I was thinking about this and I'm assuming the computer tests are not done at the same Crewe location as it is a hotel and the equipment for these tests wouldn't be there? I know it would be best to get the first stage out of the way first, but I'm just wondering as it would be good to get a heads up.

xtradj

Got my email to say I don't need to turn up for stage 1 and I'll be progressing straight to stage 2. The email said to bear with them as they're still sorting the online tests out and then stage 1, so could be a bit of a wait.

Honest answer is I found actual Defft test harder but once I got into a rhythm found it ok but slow going. I only managed to get to q14 out of 20 but still was enough to pass thank God. My advice is to sort where each piece of paper is first as you get a few for that test.

Thanks

Have you already done the computer tests before or do freightliner require us to re do them?

Cheggers

Thanks

Have you already done the computer tests before or do freightliner require us to re do them?

Never done computer tests or MMI. A fellow work colleague has literally just done stage 2 and starts a drivers course with our company (West Mids Railway) in September. He's given me the questions he was asked in the MMI but I could have completely different questions to him. Happy to share when the time comes plus if you search "MMI" on this forum you'll get loads of great advice etc. Same for computer tests. One good piece of advice he did give me was to stay night before as he found that helped him no end plus hotels are literally next door to OPC centre.

Does anybody know if the 'stage 2' will be in Crewe again (same as stage 1) or somewhere different? I was thinking about this and I'm assuming the computer tests are not done at the same Crewe location as it is a hotel and the equipment for these tests wouldn't be there? I know it would be best to get the first stage out of the way first, but I'm just wondering as it would be good to get a heads up.

I believe stage 2 is done at OPC headquarters in Watford but don't quote me.

Stigy

Established Member
I believe stage 2 is done at OPC headquarters in Watford but don't quote me.
That makes sense I guess, we will see. Thanks.

Kicking myself as I’ve done both sets and passed for the TOC I work for about 3 years ago (it was for a depot driver post and I sat the DM interview but wasn’t offered a job.....was a strange setup as they did a DM interview before an MMI...or the two were emalgamated....I never got to the bottom of it lol). Stuff happened and I didn’t retake the interview within the 2 years or whatever the requirement is. So now it’s one life gone and all the tests to redo. I blame our recruitment dept. :D

Jay_t

How are you all finding taking time off for these assessments?

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
Hi all, haven't been in since the farce of Chiltern Banbury Depot drivers then mainline drivers.

I've also gone for these, early Friday morning I completed the tests due to holiday commitments without PC or guaranteed internet access and not wanting to do them with the kids around in the day (school holidays). So I finished at 2am, felt like I'd been a bit beaten up mentally but then I'd just come in from a full shift despatching.

I'm aware of some mistakes on the VSE test 3, but no news at the moment and I'm hoping it's good news. No idea if I need to reset any of the other OPC tests as it's been over 2 years since my initial pass - it's frustrating as hell not being able to get on with my own company (Chiltern) and then having to deal day in day out with the fallout of cancelled services and disruption due to a shortage of available train drivers!!

All the best to everyone and I shall endeavour to keep up to date with this.

Thanks

Matt

Stigy

Established Member
How are you all finding taking time off for these assessments?
Just booked my last A/L day and was granted it, although I had to request some string pulling. Not sure how I’ll wangle another day off if I get to the next stage though if it doesn’t fall on a rest day. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Jay_t

Just booked my last A/L day and was granted it, although I had to request some string pulling. Not sure how I’ll wangle another day off if I get to the next stage though if it doesn’t fall on a rest day. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Same here mate. i never take random days off either!

Trent

I made a few cock ups in the VSE that I was aware of. It was one of those ones where I genuinely didn’t know how I did, but if I had to hedge my bets I’d have said I didn’t pass. Turns out I got through okay and it’s off to the next stage (fingers crossed that goes well). I think it has as much to do with redeeming yourself after the cock ups as it does about not making any cock ups in the first place. That’s the only way I’d have passed at least :D

Good luck!

Hi Stigy,

Congratulations on passing. I Recently did my sjt and vse with MTR crossrail and didnt make it though. How many errors did you make on part 2 and 3 if any? I made 0 errors in part 1, 3 errors in part 2 and 4 errors in part 3.

Do you think they are looking for zero errors on part 1 and 2?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi Stigy,

Congratulations on passing. I Recently did my sjt and vse with MTR crossrail and didnt make it though. How many errors did you make on part 2 and 3 if any? I made 0 errors in part 1, 3 errors in part 2 and 4 errors in part 3.

Do you think they are looking for zero errors on part 1 and 2?

Well I definitely made mistakes on part 2 and still managed to pass it so can't be zero errors they're after :)

Ian Hunt

Hi Ian,

How many errors did you get in each part of the vse?

I honestly don't know. I think none in Part 1, a couple of stupid miss-clicks of the mouse in part 2 and i part 3 I think I got caught up in the right side of the screen, shapes and missed one or two irregular errors on the track. May have been more that I didn't spot and kick myself for!

As for the SJT.. well I tried to be honest & err on the side of safety. Who knows for that one though.

Trent

I honestly don't know. I think none in Part 1, a couple of stupid miss-clicks of the mouse in part 2 and i part 3 I think I got caught up in the right side of the screen, shapes and missed one or two irregular errors on the track. May have been more that I didn't spot and kick myself for!

As for the SJT.. well I tried to be honest & err on the side of safety. Who knows for that one though.
Thanks Ian for info. Wish you all the best, stay positive.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well if my first attempt at group bourdon is anything to go by, I won’t need to worry about being on holiday when the dates for Stage 2 are given out!!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Was that your own practice or a Stage 1 day? If the former you'll be fine I'm sure...

My own practice... I got to row 10 on each sheet but made too many omissions, so I need to work on slowing down a bit and getting my accuracy up.

Tz55uk

Can someone please clear this up for me please. I done the vse and sjt for freighliner on Sat online my first stage if I fail this is that one of my lives.and also if I pass I've been given an assessment test for db how would effect things etc .sorry to sound dumb but very new to this yours andy

martin2345uk

Established Member
Can someone please clear this up for me please. I done the vse and sjt for freighliner on Sat online my first stage if I fail this is that one of my lives.

No it isn't :)

and also if I pass I've been given an assessment test for db how would effect things etc .sorry to sound dumb but very new to this yours andy

You are already attending an OPC assessment centre for DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.