• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy89

Evening gents, I recieved a phone call from Cherene at HR today confirming that the course will indeed be postponed until a later date. She then sent me through a confirmation letter via email that the offer is still there if I want to pursue the trainee train driver role with Freightliner. There is no new date for the course, they are bound by the government measures for Covid-19 and will be in touch as soon as they can get the course started. Did anybody else recieve this today ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfielee

Evening gents, I recieved a phone call from Cherene at HR today confirming that the course will indeed be postponed until a later date. She then sent me through a confirmation letter via email that the offer is still there if I want to pursue the trainee train driver role with Freightliner. There is no new date for the course, they are bound by the government measures for Covid-19 and will be in touch as soon as they can get the course started. Did anybody else recieve this today ?
Yeah got the same today

Anyone still waiting to have their DMR arranged for Peak Forest? I had mine cancelled because of bad weather weeks ago and I’ve heard nothing since :(

Tommy89

I take it everyone filled out the form confirming they still want to start the course and then returned it to the email address given in the letter.

Just wondering if anybody receive any confirmation back that they'd recieved our reply ?

chris360g

I take it everyone filled out the form confirming they still want to start the course and then returned it to the email address given in the letter.

Just wondering if anybody receive any confirmation back that they'd recieved our reply ?
Hi mate yeah I checked that they got it and was told they did receive it and somebody will be in touch as soon as they can set a new date

deepblue82

Does anyone have any idea how long OPC passes last for? Does it depend on TOC? No DMI news from Freightliner (applied for Eastleigh) and can't see many new trainee vacancies coming up in the medium term. Just wondering how long I get before I need to get the group bourdon practice sheets out again

Stigy

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea how long OPC passes last for? Does it depend on TOC? No DMI news from Freightliner (applied for Eastleigh) and can't see many new trainee vacancies coming up in the medium term. Just wondering how long I get before I need to get the group bourdon practice sheets out again
For Freightliner it’s 5 years, but it varies between TOC/FOC. DB Cargo and GWR are also 5 years, SWR is 3 years. It’s generally between 1 and 5 years (at the moment). Some TOCs and FOCs also do their psychometric assessments in house. Just worth bearing in mind (SWR being one).

deepblue82

For Freightliner it’s 5 years, but it varies between TOC/FOC. DB Cargo and GWR are also 5 years, SWR is 3 years. It’s generally between 1 and 5 years (at the moment). Some TOCs and FOCs also do their psychometric assessments in house. Just worth bearing in mind (SWR being one).

OK thank you that's really useful. I didn't know that about SWR, applied recently for a trainee driver role at Salisbury but didn't hear, I hadn't realised they did their own tests.

Stigy

Established Member
OK thank you that's really useful. I didn't know that about SWR, applied recently for a trainee driver role at Salisbury but didn't hear, I hadn't realised they did their own tests.
Yeah, they always have done (at least that was the case up until a year ago, I’m assuming it’s the same now...).

chris360g

Alright peeps, hope your all well! Anybody had any contact with hr since things were put on hold?

Chingy

All current trainees are either off trains of furloughed until September at the earliest.

The course that started in February won't be resuming until September at the earliest.

Tommy89

Has anybody had any contact with anyone from HR since the postponement letters came out regarding the course originally due to start earlier this month ?

I've tried to contact Cherene from recruitment that we were dealing with but I get an automatic reply saying she is no longer with the buisness and the mobile number is also off.

I was just wondering with the 1-5 scale boris johnson is using, and the possible timeframes he has put on certain places/things reopening at what point are they planning to resume training as i know companies including network rail etc have now resumed training again.

Stigy

Established Member
Has anybody had any contact with anyone from HR since the postponement letters came out regarding the course originally due to start earlier this month ?

I've tried to contact Cherene from recruitment that we were dealing with but I get an automatic reply saying she is no longer with the buisness and the mobile number is also off.

I was just wondering with the 1-5 scale boris johnson is using, and the possible timeframes he has put on certain places/things reopening at what point are they planning to resume training as i know companies including network rail etc have now resumed training again.
I don’t think NWR ever stopped.

I would imagine, from correspondence I’ve received from my TOC, that things will start to move slowly from next month. This of course depends on the specific TOC or FOC, and is reliant on social distancing and agreement from trade unions and the like.

Tommy89

I don’t think NWR ever stopped.

I would imagine, from correspondence I’ve received from my TOC, that things will start to move slowly from next month. This of course depends on the specific TOC or FOC, and is reliant on social distancing and agreement from trade unions and the like.

I know guys from my depot that were on courses and they all got sent home and cancelled training, probably changes from training centre to training centre though to be fair. Nothing ever seems to be the same across the board.

Okay well hopefully things get moving again soon, I'm looking forward to getting started ASAP.

Chingy

Those that are at the handling stage of their training have been told they aren't expected to resume handling before October. Aslef have agreed a furlough deal with FL for on/off furlough off HH trainees, with van duties in between furlough.

There has also been a lot of changes at HR and other management levels etc. With such a large backlog of current trainees to get through and an uncertainty regarding freight work this year due to the recession etc, I wouldn't expect new courses to be starting anytime soon.

DRS66421

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone knows how may times you can sit the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the Magnificent 7 Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT)?

Also what would be your best advice for passing these tests and the others that you have to do if you pass the VSE and the M7SJT?

I‘m in my late teens and trying to get my foot in the door. It’s a daily battle for me. I would be over the moon and it would be a dream come true if I was going to be starting as a Trainee Train Driver.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Mgv1349

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone knows how may times you can sit the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the Magnificent 7 Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT)?

Also what be your best advice for passing these tests and the others that you have do do if you pass the VSE and the M7SJT?

I‘m in my late teens and trying to get my foot in the door. It’s a daily battle for me. I would be over the moon and it would be a dream come true if I was going to be starting as a Trainee Train Driver.

Many thanks.
I’m sure it’s as many times as you want but if you fail have to wait 6 months to retry with that company.

once you get onto the stage one that is when your lives are being used (2 chances).

with the M7SJT you need to look at it what the company would most think is right, usually it’s 2 that you wouldn’t do and 2 quite possible with 1 being correct, safety is always one to put quite high but not always the answer.

VSE is a difficult one to give advice on really.. try use this forum to get some practice materials but all I really remember is that it was 3 different stages and they got harder, it’s all a bit of a blur now lol.

Good luck with your journey, if you put the work in I’m sure you will be fine, don’t let a knock back affect you and keep trying.

DRS66421

I’m sure it’s as many times as you want but if you fail have to wait 6 months to retry with that company.

once you get onto the stage one that is when your lives are being used (2 chances).

with the M7SJT you need to look at it what the company would most think is right, usually it’s 2 that you wouldn’t do and 2 quite possible with 1 being correct, safety is always one to put quite high but not always the answer.

VSE is a difficult one to give advice on really.. try use this forum to get some practice materials but all I really remember is that it was 3 different stages and they got harder, it’s all a bit of a blur now lol.

Good luck with your journey, if you put the work in I’m sure you will be fine, don’t let a knock back affect you and keep trying.
Hi. So is the M7SJT and the VSE not stage one of the train driver assessments?
I just need to keep battling on and hopefully things will pay off.
Many thanks for your help and words of encouragement.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi. So is the M7SJT and the VSE not stage one of the train driver assessments?
I just need to keep battling on and hopefully things will pay off.
Many thanks for your help and words of encouragement.
It apparently does count towards one of your two chances according to the OPC. This was talked about a lot here over the months as the question comes up quite a bit.

As the VSE and M7SJT is part of enhanced testing only, this mean if you failed this more than once, you cannot resit the process again for any company that used the enhanced psychometric testing, however, you can apply to those who don’t.

You won’t be able to apply until you’re 21 anyway (Well, you may be able to apply, but you can’t become a trainee driver until you’re at least 21), so you have time to practice to your heart’s content.

DRS66421

It apparently does count towards one of your two chances according to the OPC. This was talked about a lot here over the months as the question comes up quite a bit.

As the VSE and M7SJT is part of enhanced testing only, this mean if you failed this more than once, you cannot resit the process again for any company that used the enhanced psychometric testing, however, you can apply to those who don’t.

You won’t be able to apply until you’re 21 anyway (Well, you may be able to apply, but you can’t become a trainee driver until you’re at least 21), so you have time to practice to your heart’s content.
Many thanks.

Rylievie

I highly doubt any training will resume until companies will give the go ahead for cab sharing to enable driving hours and route learning. Cant see it happening any time soon

LordCreed

Has anyone who applied for Reading received a Driver Manager interview? I passed my tests / MMI back in Jan, but haven't heard anything since.

Aware things are on hold now, but they've been very silent...

luvash

Has anyone who applied for Reading received a Driver Manager interview? I passed my tests / MMI back in Jan, but haven't heard anything since.

Aware things are on hold now, but they've been very silent...
I'm in the same boat albeit I applied for Tilbury depot. Passed everything in early January as well..been waiting almost 5 months now for someone to contact me about a DMI. Obviously COVID didn't help...

PickleTree

I'm in the same boat albeit I applied for Tilbury depot. Passed everything in early January as well..been waiting almost 5 months now for someone to contact me about a DMI. Obviously COVID didn't help...
There are a lot of us in the same position. Applied for Eastleigh, passed everything with the OPC on the 9th Jan and haven't heard anything since. Quite honestly I am not expecting to this year, this is just my opinion and isn't based on anything. The virus will not have helped the situation and as you will have seen if you have read through this thread FL do have a tendency to take a while to progress things once it is over to them rather than the OPC. Here is to hoping and that we all hear something when things start to get back to some normality.

Din

I also passed the assessments in January at the OPC in Watford and understandably have heard nothing since. Still the DMI to attend so nothing guaranteed anyway. Although I will be moving this year and this will take me beyond the travelling time so hopefully will not be too much of an issue to apply for a different depot. I agree, end of this year or early part of next seems an optimistic guess if trainees are still required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.