• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJL9916

Mate I went in to the local library that has a quiet zone computing area.

Quiet only doesn’t concern crisp packets! Part 3 was crazy. I always had in mind

No there is no error
Yes there is an error

Some reason I initially thought
No, there is an error
Yes, there is no error

That bit made it more difficult as well the fact that if there was no error you had to click YES (if they didn't match) and if there was an error you had to click NO (if they did match)! I was doing the same as you in my head! Saying to myself as I was about to click the button 'YES there is an error or NO there is no error'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bristol VRIII

Not a peep yet mate you?
I got an email last Thursday inviting me to do the SJE and VLE for which I just did and boy it was hard tougher than the driver assessments I passed last year :frown:o_O I don't think i made it because made a lot of errors in Task 3 :(

choochoobacca

I got an email last Thursday inviting me to do the SJE and VLE for which I just did and boy it was hard tougher than the driver assessments I passed last year :frown:o_O I don't think i made it because made a lot of errors in Task 3 :(

You never know, keep positive! I think pretty much everybody will have made a a few errors in task three, and most of us will have made errors we didn't even notice we'd made! :lol:

martin2345uk

Established Member
You never know, keep positive! I think pretty much everybody will have made a a few errors in task three, and most of us will have made errors we didn't even notice we'd made! :lol:

Deffo - when I said I made about three errors in part 3 that was just on the right hand side part - I’ve no clue how many I made on the dot going round the track, could have been loads!

CWM

Can any current drivers tell us how these three tasks actually relate to driving a train? SJT is fairly understandable, as is the wrong signal being displayed, but I am not sure how you would know of a train incorrectly on the track for example?

OR

The shapes in the cab matching elsewhere?

Timpg

Can any current drivers tell us how these three tasks actually relate to driving a train? SJT is fairly understandable, as is the wrong signal being displayed, but I am not sure how you would know of a train incorrectly on the track for example?

OR

The shapes in the cab matching elsewhere?

Multitasking under pressure. Being able to differentiate different alarms going off at the same time. Dealing with problems in an emergency situation. Keeping consistent concentration levels. I agree, the tests are not a simulation of driving a train, but they are very much a simulation of what a train driver does in regards to concentrating, multitasking under pressure etc etc. These tests are designed to psycho analyse you to see if you have the mental ability to do an extremely responsible job.

Static65

Have just taken both of the online tests, this being my first experience of any form of psychometric testing.

I thought the SJT was fair and actually I quite enjoyed it, first and last choices always seemed to jump out, the order of the middle two less so.

VSE on the other-hand was frustrating, I made what felt like far to many errors in parts 2 and 3 - often working out the shapes correctly but just pressing the wrong button. It seemed more natural to have the buttons the other way round. I guess making the mind say yes they match so the answer is no was probably an intentional extra test and it certainly threw me off a few times.

I think I probably made a good 10 errors overall (plus those I no doubt missed) but feel like all but once I immediately got back on track, so will just have to wait and see how it is marked. Not holding out much hope right now though.

Tgh75

I received the email for my advancement in the process last week. With me working all week I had to take the plunge today.

I was pleasantly surprised. The SJT was fine and I felt confident with my answers.

The VSE was what I expected intense finger sweating mouse positional exercise. Poised to click. With full on concentration.

Part 1 was fine with no mistakes.

Part 2 was a little more intense swapping from high to low. About 2 mistakes.

Part 3 both together was fun with about 4 mistakes overall. I was actually buzzing after I finished the final test. Making sure that you don’t get phased after making a mistake.

Good luck to all that have applied and to those due to take the tests. Clear your mind. Good quiet room and don’t overthink it. You will boss it

Stigy

Established Member

I’m not sure. I made a lot of errors, but they may also take in to account how quickly you redeemed yourself if you know what I mean? It was very similar to an actual full driver assessment from experience. I found it more intense than difficult but far from a walk in the park and I genuinely don’t know how I did. Easier than the practice I think though. Not the end of the world if I don’t pass, as it will give me good standing to do them again now I know what to expect. And because it’s similar to a driver assessment as a hole it’s like having another shot at that without affective one of my ‘lives’

The One

I agree there what you say.The idea of these tests are they want you to make mistakes what they are interested in is the way you cope with the problems.They don’t want to see people panic and just steam in.

Bristol VRIII

I’m not sure. I made a lot of errors, but they may also take in to account how quickly you redeemed yourself if you know what I mean? It was very similar to an actual full driver assessment from experience. I found it more intense than difficult but far from a walk in the park and I genuinely don’t know how I did. Easier than the practice I think though. Not the end of the world if I don’t pass, as it will give me good standing to do them again now I know what to expect. And because it’s similar to a driver assessment as a hole it’s like having another shot at that without affective one of my ‘lives’

Yeah I think the word intense sums it up completely, I'm sorry if i have put anybody off who is yet to do the tests I wish everybody the best of luck and hope we hear back soon :smile:

Jeff35

Does anyone know how much notice they usually give you for the pen and paper tests at the assessment centres? Jumping the gun, as I don’t know how well the online tests went, but am a little worrried as I’m away on a two week holiday as of tomorrow.

Stigy

Established Member
Does anyone know how much notice they usually give you for the pen and paper tests at the assessment centres? Jumping the gun, as I don’t know how well the online tests went, but am a little worrried as I’m away on a two week holiday as of tomorrow.
I doubt you’ll need to worry. Discounting the weekend, even if you heard on Monday under 2-weeks notice is unlikely. I heard somewhere that it can take a while to hear back?

TazzyWazzy

Maybe they've taken the VSE out. If they have, you'd hope they disregard the results of that test for all those that have already sat it

Mike121

Maybe they've taken the VSE out. If they have, you'd hope they disregard the results of that test for all those that have already sat it

Yes either that, or maybe they have staggered it.

Or maybe if you have already got an enhanced score on the driver tests.

Jay_t

Completed both tests last saturday, like most others commented, the vse was hideous!they surely carnt expect 100% score from that..

Fingers crossed chaps!

Amberk

I would say a fair few. I did it fairly late on because work has been hectic. My first go at something like it and I think I could probably pass given a second go now I understand how it works

TazzyWazzy

Well as expected....I've just received an email saying I didn't reach the standard they were looking for

I passed the SJT but failed the VSE

Gutted but kind of expected it.

Good luck to everyone else

Jay_t

I would say a fair few. I did it fairly late on because work has been hectic. My first go at something like it and I think I could probably pass given a second go now I understand how it works

I agree, i was unsure what i was up against.
Best of luck next time

Jay_t

Did you do both the SJT and VSE at the same time? And did you get practice materials for both?
Yes done them both at the same time,
Read through the practice material but the actual test was much different, you carnt really prepare for timed moving objects from sheets of paper i thought..

Have you had your email yet?

BMoore

From the point you completed the initial application and got an email to say they would be in contact within 20 days did you all get the email to complete the next stage ? I only applied on Thursday so just wondering :)

Tz55uk

I'm sitting both mine tomorrow.sorry to hear some of you guys failed.so what am I letting myself in for can anybody give me a heads up or pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.