• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choochoobacca

Did you get to the bottom of this choochoobacca? A sensible approach if viable......

Never did get to the bottom of it mate. I did the SJT today and didn't have the guts to put the whole 'logout after practising' to the test so just went with it and completed the test. Don't think extra practise for the SJT would have made any difference to be honest - just got to go for it with that one. Think I'll do the VSE on Thursday but again, I'll probably just set aside a couple of hours and practise then go straight into the test in the one session.

Goingloco

Never did get to the bottom of it mate. I did the SJT today and didn't have the guts to put the whole 'logout after practising' to the test so just went with it and completed the test. Don't think extra practise for the SJT would have made any difference to be honest - just got to go for it with that one. Think I'll do the VSE on Thursday but again, I'll probably just set aside a couple of hours and practise then go straight into the test in the one session.

Good plan, best of luck.

JMH77

I also applied for Peterborough and haven’t heard anything yet.

I applied for Peterborough too and not heard anything. I wonder if there is a hold up on this one (clutching at straws a bit here but you never know)

jamess115

Im probably opening myself up to a barrage of comments here, but having done the VSE (part 3), am I the only one who thinks this is unrealistic ? .. I understand its a tool for weeding out applicants but its all I could do to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other in time. Apologies to all those who have been successful :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Im probably opening myself up to a barrage of comments here, but having done the VSE (part 3), am I the only one who thinks this is unrealistic ? .. I understand its a tool for weeding out applicants but its all I could do to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other in time. Apologies to all those who have been successful :)

I agree it was tough but then I guess the final test needs to be of a level where it starts to catch people out, I’m hoping of course you didn’t need a perfect score to pass as I was certainly not close to a perfect score!!!

jamess115

I agree it was tough but then I guess the final test needs to be of a level where it starts to catch people out, I’m hoping of course you didn’t need a perfect score to pass as I was certainly not close to a perfect score!!!

My view is that these tests should be tough but must also be designed to give people a fighting chance

GJL9916

My view is that these tests should be tough but must also be designed to give people a fighting chance

I think the tests are designed to see how people deal under pressure, as especially with section 3 of the VSE, when the primary side is flashing and then the shapes change every couple of seconds, then they speed up slow down, change the order they rotate in etc. as soon as you see you've got one wrong and then a 'high demand' message comes up and it starts going faster it would be easy to fall apart, I imagine there's people out there who crumbled and stopped the test. If you got one wrong or two wrong then composed yourself then that's the kind of thing they are looking for, as we had no realistic practise for this test I wouldn't expect anyone to get 100% correct on the first go.

PaulBusDriver

I think the tests are designed to see how people deal under pressure, as especially with section 3 of the VSE, when the primary side is flashing and then the shapes change every couple of seconds, then they speed up slow down, change the order they rotate in etc. as soon as you see you've got one wrong and then a 'high demand' message comes up and it starts going faster it would be easy to fall apart, I imagine there's people out there who crumbled and stopped the test. If you got one wrong or two wrong then composed yourself then that's the kind of thing they are looking for, as we had no realistic practise for this test I wouldn't expect anyone to get 100% correct on the first go.
I like your optimism and I hope your right!

My guess is they have a number in mind of how many they would like to take through to assessments and the top amount, maybe the top 60 for example, will get through. I could well be wrong but if that wasn't the case then they would risk having more people than they need.

GJL9916

I like your optimism and I hope your right!

My guess is they have a number in mind of how many they would like to take through to assessments and the top amount, maybe the top 60 for example, will get through. I could well be wrong but if that wasn't the case then they would risk having more people than they need.

Yeh they will use the tests to cull people so to speak, if applicants crumbled under pressure and got a lot wrong they won't get through, those that panicked and didn't finish the tests won't get through, so there will no doubt be some kind of 'pass mark' but I really can't see them expecting anyone to get them all right, as long as we didn't get a lot wrong especially in big batches and we completed the tests then fingers crossed we should be ok, I guess speed versus accuracy is also a factor! Hopefully we will find out soon enough, then it gets cranked up a notch in the assessment centres . .

Timpg

The tests are very tough, but they are very much also designed to give people a fighting chance. They are looking for the very best of more than likely, thousands of applicants. When you do these tests, you are not only completing the tests to a set pass mark, but you are also being analysed how you complete the tests, I.e how you react if you make a mistake, speed, accuracy or even your consistency. I originally couldn’t understand ‘ what the tests have to do with the job ‘ but after completing the tests and having time to reflect , in my opinion, they are very clever in the way they are designed.

Last edited:

PaulBusDriver

The tests are very tough, but they are very much also designed to give people a fighting chance. They are looking for the very best of more than likely, thousands of applicants. When you do these tests, you are not only completing the tests to a set pass mark, but you are also being analysed how you complete the tests, I.e how you react if you make a mistake, speed, accuracy or even your consistency. I originally couldn’t understand ‘ what the tests have to do with the job ‘ but after completing the tests and having time to reflect , in my opinion, they are very clever in the way they are designed.
I took the practice papers very seriously, so much so I got my other half to spend two hours creating my own homemade set of 3 and 4 letters placed in a 8 × 25 arrangement of cells.
I think that was what helped to match the 2 or 3 shapes. I was kicking myself because I couldn't match 4 letters in 2 seconds per cell, yet come the test I had a lot longer to match the shapes so I think it was fair and reasonable

Timpg

I took the practice papers very seriously, so much so I got my other half to spend two hours creating my own homemade set of 3 and 4 letters placed in a 8 × 25 arrangement of cells.
I think that was what helped to match the 2 or 3 shapes. I was kicking myself because I couldn't match 4 letters in 2 seconds per cell, yet come the test I had a lot longer to match the shapes so I think it was fair and reasonable

Good on you mate, i hope you progress further in your application. I’ll be honest, I’m unsure of the tests you had to do as they sound different to what I had to do before. I did mine a few months ago, there wasn’t any online test as part of the application, we were invited to a group assessment day, those who were successful went on to do the psychometric tests. But I suppose they are all similar in some sense. Throughout the tests I kept thinking I’d failed on certain parts and thought I could have done better, but I passed!

PaulBusDriver

Well done mate. I hope its enough for me at this early stage, if not then maybe next time.

Last edited:

Pete C

Anyone else apply for Tilbury? Did my VSE/SJT on Sunday so waiting like the rest of you guys :)

Stigy

Established Member
Well, I have just done these assessments. The SJT I didn't find overly bad to be honest, although I did finish it in about 50-minutes which concerns me (they allow you 70). The others weren't too bad to start with, but I lost it toward the end of the multi-tasking test a bit, although I think I might have redeemed myself (any ideas how many 'misses' one is allowed?). Annoyingly too, is that I'm doing this from an I-Mac and my phone is connected (didn't think of this) and it rang mid-way through, via the computer which exited my screen momentarily. It was right at the end of the first VSE test and it didn't appear to affect it, although I might have missed one of the dreaded errors!

I'm assuming all these tests for this FOC are the same, otherwise I realise I may be talking gibberish lol. Good luck to all! On the whole, not as bad as I was envisaging and better than the practise material IMHO.

CWM

Mate I went in to the local library that has a quiet zone computing area.

Quiet only doesn’t concern crisp packets! Part 3 was crazy. I always had in mind

No there is no error
Yes there is an error

Some reason I initially thought
No, there is an error
Yes, there is no error

Well, I have just done these assessments. The SJT I didn't find overly bad to be honest, although I did finish it in about 50-minutes which concerns me (they allow you 70). The others weren't too bad to start with, but I lost it toward the end of the multi-tasking test a bit, although I think I might have redeemed myself (any ideas how many 'misses' one is allowed?). Annoyingly too, is that I'm doing this from an I-Mac and my phone is connected (didn't think of this) and it rang mid-way through, via the computer which exited my screen momentarily. It was right at the end of the first VSE test and it didn't appear to affect it, although I might have missed one of the dreaded errors!

I'm assuming all these tests for this FOC are the same, otherwise I realise I may be talking gibberish lol. Good luck to all! On the whole, not as bad as I was envisaging and better than the practise material IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.