• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowbelly

I find the Squares with dots easy enough, the letters Im OK at but not quite as good as I'd be comfortable with yet. Im quite good at the Group Bourdon already so I guess its just training myself to match letters instead, more practice is definitely going to help.
As we've got until Friday at 5pm I'm going to fully utilise the time.
I’m assuming if you’ve not heard anything you’ve not been successful?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulBusDriver

I heard back on Friday but I wouldn't know for sure, my application was submitted on Tuesday.

Stigy

Established Member
The SJT was 70 minutes which I failed to complete in time, perhaps due to over thinking. The questions I felt rarely had clear cut answers unlike the questionnaire in the previous stage.

I think the VSE was an hour but it felt like 30 minutes. Once the test starts you have no time for a lapse in concentration make sure your free from distraction. Unfortunately for me I had to put up with my eldest son playing that bloody fortnite game In the background. The perks of having a young family haha.

My only advice is it is very easy to panic and lose your head once you get an answer wrong In part 3 but concentrate on the main screen which the the test tells you to do.
It used to be that these tests weren’t intended to be completed fully, but are to measure if you can work quickly but accurately. For example, it was better to complete say 20 of 27 questions and get 19 right, than to complete all 27 and get 19 right. Having said that, they have given quite a lot of time to complete these tests and they do indicate you should complete them if possible. I’ll have a look at mine later. Good luck all!

choochoobacca

Regarding the actual VSE test, is it just one page of each per level as per the practise material, ie one page of moving dot on the square, one page of letter column matching, one page of both combined? Or do they give you multiple pages of each to complete?

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Blimey, just completed the actual tests...

That SJT was horrible, so many of the answers were basically the same just worded slightly differently!!

As for the VSE, I didn't do great sadly.

Part 1 was nice
Part 2 I stupidly got 4-5 wrong
Part 3 I actually did better than part 2, think I got 2-3 wrong

So not holding out a lot of hope there!

Regarding the actual VSE test, is it just one page of each per level as per the practise material, ie one page of moving dot on the square, one page of letter column matching, one page of both combined? Or do they give you multiple pages of each to complete?

The real one is not the same as the practice ones they tell you to print out, those were just to give you a rough idea of the type of thing the tests do. You get to practise first when you do the real thing, and you can repeat the practice if you like, so my advice would be to just get on and do it. Make sure it's quiet and there are no distractions!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I find the Squares with dots easy enough, the letters Im OK at but not quite as good as I'd be comfortable with yet. Im quite good at the Group Bourdon already so I guess its just training myself to match letters instead, more practice is definitely going to help.
As we've got until Friday at 5pm I'm going to fully utilise the time.

Hi mate - I would be wary of over-practising the practice tests, purely because the real tests are different! You don't wanna be so ingrained in the practice ones that it comes as a shock when the real ones aren't the same...

Stigy

Established Member

I guess the reasoning is that the practise material is to be done on paper and not a PC. You can’t do the VSE practised on a computer due to the nature of it and vice versa. The SJT is pretty standard across the board I suppose.

casualdav

That SJT was horrible, so many of the answers were basically the same just worded slightly differently!!

Part 1 was nice

If what your saying is true. You did better then me and I thought I did well haha!!! I would be amazed if anybody could do these tests flawlessly. In part three I easily got 8 or 9 wrong if not a few more and part two id say I got between 5-7 wrong.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people failed badly on part 3.

Teddyward

If what your saying is true. You did better then me and I thought I did well haha!!! I would be amazed if anybody could do these tests flawlessly. In part three I easily got 8 or 9 wrong if not a few more and part two id say I got between 5-7 wrong.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people failed badly on part 3.
When I failed mine in Watford I got feedback. Did fine on 1&2, mega brain freeze on part 3. I couldn’t help be drawn to the shapes instead of the dot and missed too many errors.

TazzyWazzy

When I failed mine in Watford I got feedback. Did fine on 1&2, mega brain freeze on part 3. I couldn’t help be drawn to the shapes instead of the dot and missed too many errors.

We'll I just did my VSE...and like yourself got drawn to the shapes....don't think I did well on part 3 at all

Think I did ok on parts 1 & 2 but thibk I've messed it up at part 3.

Not too confident after that but good luck to you all

Last edited:

Cheggers

I did these tests yesterday as flying out for holidays today. I did the exact same tests for the Virgin Apprentice recruitment. I passed with them. VSE is the is the hardest of the two. I made sure I concentrated on following the dot around the track and clicking that first if I saw errors. Think I got them all right on Parts 1&2. Part 3 I got about 3 shape ones wrong but all errors on track right. But I feel I did much better this time than when I did it with Virgin as I got 5 or 6 shape ones wrong on part 3. The SJT is anyone's guess. Exactly same questions as before but can't remember if I put same answers in same order as last time.

PaulBusDriver

Part 1 was nice

The real one is not the same as the practice ones they tell you to print out, those were just to give you a rough idea of the type of thing the tests do. You get to practise first when you do the real thing, and you can repeat the practice if you like, so my advice would be to just get on and do it. Make sure it's quiet and there are no distractions!
Thanks, I'm on my own and its quiet so I am probably going to go for it now.
You say it's not quite the same as the practice material? Is it completely different in terms of the type of tests you take or is it the layout that's different?
I had assumed that maybe they would flash one square up at a time for may be 2 secs then you select it if you think it's not a match, for example.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks, I'm on my own and its quiet so I am probably going to go for it now.
You say it's not quite the same as the practice material? Is it completely different in terms of the type of tests you take or is it the layout that's different?
I had assumed that maybe they would flash one square up at a time for may be 2 secs then you select it if you think it's not a match, for example.

No it’s a completely different test, no squares involved in part 1!

TazzyWazzy

I did these tests yesterday as flying out for holidays today. I did the exact same tests for the Virgin Apprentice recruitment. I passed with them. VSE is the is the hardest of the two. I made sure I concentrated on following the dot around the track and clicking that first if I saw errors. Think I got them all right on Parts 1&2. Part 3 I got about 3 shape ones wrong but all errors on track right. But I feel I did much better this time than when I did it with Virgin as I got 5 or 6 shape ones wrong on part 3. The SJT is anyone's guess. Exactly same questions as before but can't remember if I put same answers in same order as last time.

Well done mate

I think that's the best advice for anyone...concentrate on the track first....I made the mistake of concentrating on the shapes

absolutely kicking myself!!!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if the SJT was eaiser to fail on... we have no clue what they’re looking for... I wasn’t overly confident in a lot of my answers but I went for the option of at least trying to be quick so as to be seen to be decisive? Think I ended up doing it in about 25-30 mins - but then that could be the completely wrong approach to take!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well done mate

I think that's the best advice for anyone...concentrate on the track first....I made the mistake of concentrating on the shapes

It was hard wasn’t it! I tried to make sure I checked the dot first then if no errors went over to the shapes and just tried to be fast!

I did notice part 3 snuck in some errors on the dot that hadn’t been seen in part 1 or 2, sneaky lil swines

Cheggers

Well done mate

It's so easy to do though mate. I found myself doing that first time round and I had to readjust myself. Sure you'll be fine.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the SJT was eaiser to fail on... we have no clue what they’re looking for... I wasn’t overly confident in a lot of my answers but I went for the option of at least trying to be quick so as to be seen to be decisive? Think I ended up doing it in about 25-30 mins - but then that could be the completely wrong approach to take!
Yeah did it in about same time and you're right. I think they're looking for someone who doesn't take the easy road, so I thought always own up to everything and dont lie where the questions give you that option. Maybe I'm wrong though lol.

martin2345uk

Established Member
It's so easy to do though mate. I found myself doing that first time round and I had to readjust myself. Sure you'll be fine.

Yeah did it in about same time and you're right. I think they're looking for someone who doesn't take the easy road, so I thought always own up to everything and dont lie where the questions give you that option. Maybe I'm wrong though lol.

Yeah I definitely always went for “don’t lie” and “don’t cover up mistakes” as that’s how I really am in my work, but so many of them were not at all obvious for 2nd 3rd and 4th choice, which I guess is the whole point :)

Anyone see how long it said it’d take to find out how we did?

TazzyWazzy

Yeah I definitely always went for “don’t lie” and “don’t cover up mistakes” as that’s how I really am in my work, but so many of them were not at all obvious for 2nd 3rd and 4th choice, which I guess is the whole point :)

Anyone see how long it said it’d take to find out how we did?

In the email it said we'll get feedback on our results within 25 days of the test deadline

Cheggers

In the email it said we'll get feedback on our results within 25 days of the test deadline
That's ok then as was scared they'd say, if we had passed online tests, assessments were like next week. Not back from holiday until 20th Aug.

choochoobacca

Part 1 was nice

Many thanks martin2345uk. One final question if anyone can answer - once you open the test page to do the real practices, is that you committed to sitting the tests in that actual session, or can you just do the practise then walk away and come back and do the test another day. Reason being I'm keen to do the practise but don't have the time available to do the actual tests until tomorrow..Many thanks anyone who can answer

martin2345uk

Established Member
Many thanks martin2345uk. One final question if anyone can answer - once you open the test page to do the real practices, is that you committed to sitting the tests in that actual session, or can you just do the practise then walk away and come back and do the test another day. Reason being I'm keen to do the practise but don't have the time available to do the actual tests until tomorrow..Many thanks anyone who can answer

Honestly not sure - you don’t have to do both tests in one sitting I know that... but I think once you click on one you’re committed? Not sure but personally wouldn’t wanna chance it!

PaulBusDriver

I've just done mine, I guess someone at OPC was having a laugh by reckoning you could do the pratice material with the letters 2 seconds per cell!

I think Im ok on the questionairre, just always sought to be honest and not drop my manager or colleagues in the poo.
Test 2 I made a silly 2 or 3 errors when it went from being low demand to high, silly really as I actually found it quite easy.
Test 3 I think I must've made maybe 4 errors, pretty sure I didn't miss the dot errors but might've got an extra one that wasn't an error after the shapes
took my attention.
Im hoping that they aren't looking for absolutely flawless. Its a shame really because Im pretty sure I could get near perfect if I had a better expectation of it.

CWM

I've just done mine, I guess someone at OPC was having a laugh by reckoning you could do the pratice material with the letters 2 seconds per cell!

I think Im ok on the questionairre, just always sought to be honest and not drop my manager or colleagues in the poo.
Test 2 I made a silly 2 or 3 errors when it went from being low demand to high, silly really as I actually found it quite easy.
Test 3 I think I must've made maybe 4 errors, pretty sure I didn't miss the dot errors but might've got an extra one that wasn't an error after the shapes
took my attention.
Im hoping that they aren't looking for absolutely flawless. Its a shame really because Im pretty sure I could get near perfect if I had a better expectation of it.
Is it similar to the practice ones?

PaulBusDriver

Its about 10-15 dots, arranged in a circle with arrows pointing in a clockwise direction. You will be given a practice exercise demonstrating the errors you will have to check for part 1.
In part two, there are two rows of shapes, again it is demonstrated how these will need to be either selected as having errors or not. I was thrown a bit when it changed to high demand and lost a few until I got the hang of it, after you get going though you find it quite easy, the practice paper does prepare you for this if you have had a good go at it.
Part 3 is a combination of the two earlier tests. The primary task is the 1st part(the left hand side) make sure you dont miss any errors for it. The right hand side shapes can be checked in between checking the track if you time it right.
Best of luck, Im sure you'll discover its not impossible to do, I personally had a few slip ups but if I could do it again Im sure I'd make a better go of it.

CWM

Its about 10-15 dots, arranged in a circle with arrows pointing in a clockwise direction. You will be given a practice exercise demonstrating the errors you will have to check for part 1.
In part two, there are two rows of shapes, again it is demonstrated how these will need to be either selected as having errors or not. I was thrown a bit when it changed to high demand and lost a few until I got the hang of it, after you get going though you find it quite easy, the practice paper does prepare you for this if you have had a good go at it.
Part 3 is a combination of the two earlier tests. The primary task is the 1st part(the left hand side) make sure you dont miss any errors for it. The right hand side shapes can be checked in between checking the track if you time it right.
Best of luck, Im sure you'll discover its not impossible to do, I personally had a few slip ups but if I could do it again Im sure I'd make a better go of it.

Thank you. Have you had any reply since, and if so what was it? Also, do they tell you what happens next upon completion of those 3 exercises?

CWM

Also what are the time limits on the three exercises?

Status
Not open for further replies.