• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulm36

I am practicing for the awareness and recognition test which I’ve got a practice dvd for. I was under the impression that I would see pictures of traffic scenes and would have to pick out what I saw from the list below

Pedestrians
Motor vehicles
Cyclist/motorcyclist/scooter
Road sign
Traffic light

However; on the practice dvd, the pictures were completely random with a different list each time. Eg. people standing at a bus stop flashed up for one second and was asked to identity exactly 15 people which to me seemed unreasonable. Could anyone that has sat the test please clarify how the test is actually conducted? Thanks in advance :)
The test is how you first described it , where you have to pick out of
Pedestrians
Motor vehicles
Cyclist/motorcyclist/scooter
Road sign
Traffic light.
It flashes up very quickly, I would say less than a second . That was the test I found the hardest to be honest , but just stay calm .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sam85

Your initial impression is correct. For each image you have to identify which of the 5 categories you have listed above appeared in the picture.

It does not matter if there are 2 or 10 traffic signs, you just have to have seen a traffic sign (or whatever appeared) and select it from the list that follows.

The test on the day is identical to this video, just with different pictures.

Thanks for your response. Is there anywhere I can practice this as it’s more relalistic than the dvd I have? Thanks.

Mgv1349

Thanks for your response. Is there anywhere I can practice this as it’s more relalistic than the dvd I have? Thanks.
All I did was get my Daughter to pick 6 items out of her room and put them on the table then cover them and uncover them for a second and then me have to tell her what they were, worked ok for me but everyone is diffenrt.

GMT

Yes, that is a very good point there are still assessments taking place. Where have you applied for?
Tilbury. But I think there was also Thamesport available, which is much closer to where I live, but I thought it was somewhere in London :s

Diff

Hello all, I heard back from the OPC today about why I failed my MMI. The person who phoned me wasn't the lady who interviewed me, it was a man, he had access to the interview notes though so he was able to provide me with an answer as to why I failed.

He says the area I failed on was question 1, which is "Describe a time when you can be relied on to do well even in difficult times". I remember my answer of course and it obviously wasn't good enough, but I don't think I have a better answer. He said it might just not relate to a train driver's task enough which I understand but I'm struggling to think of what else I could have used from my own life.

Can I be cheeky here and ask people what they used for this question? I need more insight for what sort of things I could have used. It would be massively helpful, you can PM me on here if you feel more comfortable. Hearing from both passes and fails would be helpful.

He said I was fine on the verbal communication aspect of things which I'm happy with, and my other 5 questions must've been answered sufficiently because they weren't flagged up. I'm wondering if anyone on here has themselves, or heard of anyone failing their MMI and then going on to pass it at a later date? I'm worried I might never pass it, especially now I've obviously used one of my 2 lives.

Congratulations to everyone passing and getting their dates to move forward :)

Thank you all :)

Stigy

Established Member
Hello all, I heard back from the OPC today about why I failed my MMI. The person who phoned me wasn't the lady who interviewed me, it was a man, he had access to the interview notes though so he was able to provide me with an answer as to why I failed.

He says the area I failed on was question 1, which is "Describe a time when you can be relied on to do well even in difficult times". I remember my answer of course and it obviously wasn't good enough, but I don't think I have a better answer. He said it might just not relate to a train driver's task enough which I understand but I'm struggling to think of what else I could have used from my own life.

Can I be cheeky here and ask people what they used for this question? I need more insight for what sort of things I could have used. It would be massively helpful, you can PM me on here if you feel more comfortable. Hearing from both passes and fails would be helpful.

He said I was fine on the verbal communication aspect of things which I'm happy with, and my other 5 questions must've been answered sufficiently because they weren't flagged up. I'm wondering if anyone on here has themselves, or heard of anyone failing their MMI and then going on to pass it at a later date? I'm worried I might never pass it, especially now I've obviously used one of my 2 lives.

Congratulations to everyone passing and getting their dates to move forward :)

Thank you all :)
Hi Diff,

Glad you got the feedback and it was quite specific. I think it might help us to know what you used as an example? I’ll be honest I don’t recall that question....or I do kind of, but not as the first one? Maybe they vary these in terms of what order they’re asked in? I used a CPR scenario for my first answer, which I suppose vaguely fits the question? I used it in terms of my volunteering as a First Responder so I guess it could have been seen as a professional scenario rather than a personal one such as if a member of the public was administering the CPR? As I was acting as a Responder at the time, I had was there as a trained person using oxygen etc and as such this might have been favoured by the assessor?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it was that question ;)

Hope this helps you!

Pete C

Tilbury. But I think there was also Thamesport available, which is much closer to where I live, but I thought it was somewhere in London :s
When you get to DMI stage they'll let you change or add depots to increase your chances. They'd rather have you at a depot close to where you live if there's jobs available :)

Diff

Hi Diff,

Glad you got the feedback and it was quite specific. I think it might help us to know what you used as an example? I’ll be honest I don’t recall that question....or I do kind of, but not as the first one? Maybe they vary these in terms of what order they’re asked in? I used a CPR scenario for my first answer, which I suppose vaguely fits the question? I used it in terms of my volunteering as a First Responder so I guess it could have been seen as a professional scenario rather than a personal one such as if a member of the public was administering the CPR? As I was acting as a Responder at the time, I had was there as a trained person using oxygen etc and as such this might have been favoured by the assessor?

Hope this helps you!

Hi Stigy, thanks for the reply! Yes that is very helpful :) Your example is very good, I can see why they would like that as an example. My example is rather boring, I'm currently a HGV driver and I used the example of just getting to my destinations during the bad snow weather we had and getting stuck multiple times at night, alone (I work nights). Looking bad it's a terrible answer but I can't think of anything else I could've used that would fit that answer from my own experiences.

Cheers :D

Nishhh

When you get to DMI stage they'll let you change or add depots to increase your chances. They'd rather have you at a depot close to where you live if there's jobs available :)

I initially applied for Tilbury but was asked to consider Thamesport so you may be able to do the same. I would send them and email try your luck.

Nishhh

I totally agree with us not hearing much until the new year although with the course starting Feb it really doesn’t give us much time to prepare ourselves, hand in notices etc.

Paulm36

Hi Stigy, thanks for the reply! Yes that is very helpful :) Your example is very good, I can see why they would like that as an example. My example is rather boring, I'm currently a HGV driver and I used the example of just getting to my destinations during the bad snow weather we had and getting stuck multiple times at night, alone (I work nights). Looking bad it's a terrible answer but I can't think of anything else I could've used that would fit that answer from my own experiences.

To be fair it doesn't sound to bad to me , and surly has some relevance, blimey that's made me worry even more about my mmi now .

GJ_DAN

Hi Diff,

Hope this helps you!

That’s good they’ve let you know where abouts you went wrong. That’s pretty much me screwed then as I thought my answers were weak for one or two. Oh well.

GJ_DAN

That’s good they’ve let you know where abouts you went wrong. That’s pretty much me screwed then as I thought my answers were weak for one or two. Oh well.

Sorry forgot to say i don’t think that was a bad answer you gave either. Just must be people with better examples unfortunately

Stigy

Established Member

You’re welcome. To be honest your example seems ideal to me. It sounds to me more likely you didn’t go deep enough when they proved? (Oooo errrr ;)). Did they do a lot of probing for responses? Did you answer these concisely etc? I’d like to think the guy giving your feedback would have known if this were the case, and advise you accordingly? But if he was just from the office and not an assessor, he might have solely been reading from the notes, which may not have been that clear and required some reading between the lines? Hope I’m making sense!

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry forgot to say i don’t think that was a bad answer you gave either. Just must be people with better examples unfortunately
Not wanting to put a downer on it of course, but the MMI is different to a DMI in that it’s not a selection interview, therefore other peoples’ examples Don’t come in to it (at a DMI this is very relevant of course as you’re being interviewed for a job). I agree the example was ideal to be fair.

GJ_DAN

Not wanting to put a downer on it of course, but the MMI is different to a DMI in that it’s not a selection interview, therefore other peoples’ examples Don’t come in to it (at a DMI this is very relevant of course as you’re being interviewed for a job). I agree the example was ideal to be fair.

Yes I understand, after all you can use all sorts of experiences, work or personal. I hope I was detailed enough in my examples, I feel I was.

crebbs1

Diff, that sounds like a great example, did you make it clear that you remained calm, took full responsibility, followed the correct rules and procedures to carry out the task while remaining safe and achieved a good outcome whilst under pressure?

Static65

My DMI felt like anything but a job interview....most relaxed ‘interview’ I’ve ever had

I agree with this and to be honest it threw me a little. I really wasn't quite sure what to make of it as it seemed overly casual, certainly more so than I was expecting.

Last edited:

GMT

Thanks, but I have to get to the DMI first, and unfortunately I'm very pessimistic about the MMI. Already failed once...

GMT

I'm a bit confused regarding Diff's MMI question, "Describe a time when you can be relied on to do well even in difficult times"; is that the same as "Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult problem"? I suppose it's got nothing to do with the emergency one.

@Diff, all the best for the future and keep trying. Being a HGV driver, you should have the right experience. Possibly just one of those things and it's just a matter of time before you get there.

R Trevithick

I agree with this and to be honest it threw me a little. I really wasn't quite sure what to make of it as it seemed overly casual, certainly more so than I was expecting.

It’s a well known interview technique. When your relaxed you tend to reveal the real you rather than the interview you.
Her Majesty’s Constabulary use it to get suspects talking and once their talking they tend to give information away.
I fell for it with a TOC last year. I just got too relaxed and ended up coming across as not taking it seriously.
So I guess it can be a good thing in getting a candidate relaxed but also a bad thing if the candidate is too relaxed.

Stigy

Established Member
It’s a well known interview technique. When your relaxed you tend to reveal the real you rather than the interview you.
Her Majesty’s Constabulary use it to get suspects talking and once their talking they tend to give information away.
I fell for it with a TOC last year. I just got too relaxed and ended up coming across as not taking it seriously.
So I guess it can be a good thing in getting a candidate relaxed but also a bad thing if the candidate is too relaxed.
Agreed. I’ve conducted interviews before (both selection interviews and other types...) and like to relax people. If it’s ‘the other type’ of interview, the interviewee is my friend until I get what I want out of them lol. It’s almost like luring you in to a false sense of security. The interviewers can also use psychology techniques to get to the real you. For example, during my Freightliner DMI the interviewer mentioned feelings and blokes going down the pub rather than showing their true feelings. It was in context so not just a random conversation, but I just went along with whatvthe interviewer was saying etc, as one does, however in hindsight, maybe he wanted me to disagree, or something? I’ve seen my fair share of trauma, so maybe he wanted to see how ‘stable’ I was, as we all know, talking about our feelings is the thing we should really do (I just get on with it without being phased, however that’s not to say I don’t get affected, it’s juts a coping mechanism). Or I could, again be overthinking it?

R Trevithick

That’s the problem Stigy isn’t it.
I’m not great a reading people and am never sure whether the interviewer wants me to agree with them or to see if I’m prepared to (or able to) put forward a different opinion.
It’s a tough one and I am sure there isn’t a definitive right or wrong way to do it.
I just hope that more times than not I get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.