• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fuel Strikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
i wonder how much the media's doom-mongering hysteria is playing a part, generally there is enough fuel for a couple of days in the tanks, add in panic buying and you have petrol stations running out.

Me - i'll be on my bike and feet!

~92% scaremongering IMO.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
I wonder how much the media's doom-mongering hysteria is playing a part, generally there is enough fuel for a couple of days in the tanks, add in panic buying and you have petrol stations running out.

Me - I'll be on my bike and feet!

Well, something I learnt from my mother, who lernt it from her father who was a pilot, is that the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire, so if I was driving, the tank would always be well topped up anyway. Going without for a day or two might not make much difference, we'd just ride it out and wait for the problem to sort itself out.

SS4

Established Member
As we've been shown many, many, many times the unadulterated truth does not sell

starrymarkb

Established Member
It's stupid that we have allowed ourselves to be such a car-dependant society and planned and developed our towns accordingly.

Driving a car is a privledge, not a right.

Maybe, but it's going to take a fair while to undo, also remember that not everything can be served by public transport in an easy manner. As I've said before you need to make the alternatives more attractive and people will start to switch. It's hard to tell people to switch to the bus when the evening service has been withdrawn to save the council money and routes are designed to appease vocal senior pass holders. Relatively fast BRT could be a good way to start that shift.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, something I learnt from my mother, who lernt it from her father who was a pilot, is that the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire, so if I was driving, the tank would always be well topped up anyway. Going without for a day or two might not make much difference, we'd just ride it out and wait for the problem to sort itself out.

Pretty much how I'll work it! The car is 3/4's full and a tank usually lasts me about a month! Mind you I'd be tempted to get a Jerry Can to sell if it lasts a while ;)

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
The car is seen as more convenient than public transport by quite a few people so I can't see demand justifying improvements car use until becomes too expensive for most people.

Last edited:

Dolive22

How affected might the railways be by a fuel strike? I would assume there were quite large stockpiles for diesels, but they must run out at some point. You would hope there would be some tankers (diesel isn't much worse than coal as a hazardous good, so it should be safe to go by rail?) and a way to fill them at that station in the middle of a refinery in Wales, but I'm fairly sure there isn't.

Obviously it would hit all those workers who have to have their own car to get to work. Does anyone know how hard?

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I'll probably try to fill up at work! Or jump on a bus (every 15 minutes from my door!)

Failed Unit

Established Member
How affected might the railways be by a fuel strike? I would assume there were quite large stockpiles for diesels, but they must run out at some point. You would hope there would be some tankers (diesel isn't much worse than coal as a hazardous good, so it should be safe to go by rail?) and a way to fill them at that station in the middle of a refinery in Wales, but I'm fairly sure there isn't.

Obviously it would hit all those workers who have to have their own car to get to work. Does anyone know how hard?

In 2000 the rail industry got the supplies first - but operators that ran excessive deisel under the wires did try and alter daigrams to reduce this. GNER for example tried to use 91's where possible instead of HST 100% under the wires.

bailey65

What's the difference between terrorists disrupting fuel to try and bring the country down and tanker drivers doing it can't wait for all the lefties on here to slate this so predictable.

michael769

Established Member
With most strikes these days being 1 day events (who in the modern world can afford to lose pay for more than a couple of days), it is unlikely to have much direct impact.

Most fuel stations only receive a couple of delivered a week so at worst perhaps 1 local station may run out.

It is far more likely that the inevitable panic buying will trigger shortages!

theblackwatch

Established Member
And the panic buying is caused by the press hyping things up, giving the impression that the country will grind to a halt if we have a couple of days of non-deliveries.

table38

Established Member
Got to love the Daily Mail: Don't rush to the pumps

Don't rush to the pumps

Motorists were warned against panic buying fuel

the most important message is for everyone to stick to their normal petrol buying habits
So remember not to go out panic buying, or you will just create a shortage and there will be no petrol next week when you have run out because you didn't panic buy :)

Just in case you haven't got the message, here's a picture of some cars queuing up at a petrol station!

shell.jpg

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Got to love the Daily Mail: Don't rush to the pumps

Don't rush to the pumps

Motorists were warned against panic buying fuel

the most important message is for everyone to stick to their normal petrol buying habits
So remember not to go out panic buying, or you will just create a shortage and there will be no petrol next week when you have run out because you didn't panic buy :)

Daily Mail said:
Remember this? Long queues at the pumps during the strike in 2000. Such scenes look likely to be repeated after 1,000 militant tanker drivers voted yesterday for a national strike

Got to love the DM - that's a nice calming message isn't it...

SS4

Established Member
What's the difference between terrorists disrupting fuel to try and bring the country down and tanker drivers doing it can't wait for all the lefties on here to slate this so predictable.

I doubt you'll find many on the right who agree with you. The tanker drivers do not want to strike but are being forced to because their working conditions are being eroded by employers more bothered about costs than safety (in union opinion) and said employers either won't come to the negotiating table or cannot come to an agreement.

Terrorists are generally not interested in working conditions ;)

GB

Established Member

Perhaps you would like to look up the definition of a terrorist?

dk1

Veteran Member
During the 2000 blockade i remember working a train into Ipswich & was involved in a Cat B SPAD (not my fault :smile:) on the approach. I was immediatley met by a manager & asked if i was ok but importantly, was i still going to work the East Suffolk departure to Lowestoft!! The local taxi's where few & far between & coach/bus companies where not prepared to stray far. The usual 150/2 was already strengthened with a 153 & passengers stood in every doorway. I agreed to leave soon as i got a coffee to calm my nerves (Brandy was refused ;)) & bless him he bought it for me. We ended up departing under 10 late with passengers in good spirits & for once very grateful to the railway. These things seem to bring out the old Dunkirk spirit. It was also the first time as a driver that i had been asked not to go above notch 5 on DMU's but now with eco-driving it is quite common.

Back to 2012 & today, the lady catering member i worked with this morning said that soon as she finished she was going staright to Sainsbury's to fill up due to the strikes & forthcoming chaos she had just read about in the paper & she lives within walking/cycle distance of work & her childrens school :roll::roll:

Nym

Established Member
Hmmm, I'll go fill up tonight at the place that has the EMS contract for Bolton, they have rather insanely massive tanks. Will see me till I need to get the car back to me mum later then...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and by that logic, all union members are terrorists...

table38

Established Member
Neither of the points you posted fit the bill.

Hey, it was you who said to look up the definition.

No need to go off one one just because you asked a question but didn't like the answer :roll:

GB

Established Member
Hey, it was you who said to look up the definition.

No need to go off one one just because you asked a question but didn't like the answer :roll:

Who's going off on one?

Given that I quoted someone else you can be reasonably assured I didn't ask you to do anything.

...and the point still stands, strikers do not fit either of the points you so generously took upon yourself to post despite what some want to believe.

table38

Established Member
Given that I quoted someone else you can be reasonably assured I didn't ask you to do anything.

Oh, silly me, when you said:

in post #51, I just naturally assumed you were.

...and the point still stands, strikers do not fit either of the points you so generously took upon yourself to post despite what some want to believe.

If you say so.

Nym

Established Member
It's OK, it turned out it was the Gay Cheerleaders Holiday Quizteam. A very friendly bunch of lads too ;)

Thought it was going to be your weekly delivery of cheese from the guys at Woucster...

cheesecellar.jpg

And I thought that quiz team used pink vans...

Or was it this one?

van_LRG.jpg

Schnellzug

Established Member

Well, of course, yes, Al Qaeda just want more pay and better working conditions, don't they, so there's hardly any difference, no ...

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.