• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fuel Strikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
It's OK, it turned out it was the Gay Cheerleaders Holiday Quizteam. A very friendly bunch of lads too ;)

I once visited the Kindergarten for Girls and Boys in Moscow (although as I'm typing this that sounds quite horrific).

The Simpsons always has the best ones - Flowers by Irene and 'Ordinary Van' are two good ones I can remember.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Well, of course, yes, Al Qaeda just want more pay and better working conditions, don't they, so there's hardly any difference, no ...

:roll:

Yeah, the're not getting enough virgins, and they ones they are getting aren't exactly what they where expecting...

dungeons-dragons-400ds0702.jpg

WestCoast

Established Member
if you think fuel prices are expensıve ın the UK, try Turkey:

UK lıtre unleaded 140p
Turkey lıtre unleaded 165p

and Turks get paıd a lot less

Goodness, that's expensive for a country which has generally lower living costs than most EU states!

I can't believe the fuel in Turkey at least 10-20p dearer per litre unleaded than in the highly taxed Scandinavian nations and around 40p dearer than Spain!

Schnellzug

Established Member
I once visited the Kindergarten for Girls and Boys in Moscow (although as I'm typing this that sounds quite horrific).

That sounds even more sinister than the Lubianka.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

:p

The question, I suppose, is, is Mr. Cameron simply a prat, or is there some ulterior motive for his idiotic suggestions that "people might want to think about panic buying"? Does he want to build up a siege mentality among the People, so that he can portray, as has been speculated, Strikers as being subversive elements and traitors? Does he want to spread Anxiety and Panic among the population? Or does this suppose a level of deviousness and machivellianism that British prime ministers have rarely displayed, apart, of course, from mrs. T?

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
Perhaps it's a cunning plan to stop people talking about the budget.

And maybe Pastiegate is a cunning plan to stop people talking about panic buying petrol :)

SS4

Established Member
Or maybe he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. Seems to be a necessity to become PM these days

wintonian

Established Member
A fuel strike eh?

Oh jolly good then Mr & Mrs Fisherton-Smyth in Surbiton won't be able to travel the 200 yards to Waitrose to buy a lemon to go with tonights slamon, accordingly I expect the country to fall to bits during this national disaster.

Seriously though I realise it is a bit more complicated than this with the effect on vulnerable people and those drive for a living as examples, but we are far to relent on our private petrol driven transport, how many pepole have heard of walking of something called a bus these days?.

For gods sake some of us don't have driving licences and manage to survive like this every day.

I appear to have drifted into more of a rant than I intended to, so apologies for the tone.

Established Member
Fire Brigades are now asking for Francis Maude (who seems to be a bit of a pillock) to retract what he said about storing spare petrol in jerry cans in your garage.

I'd be quite happy to see a strike, to see what effect it has on transferring people from cars to public transport. The Icelandic ash cloud had a good effect in getting people onto the railways, so lets see if this does the same.

exile

Established Member
Fire Brigades are now asking for Francis Maude (who seems to be a bit of a pillock) to retract what he said about storing spare petrol in jerry cans in your garage.

I'd be quite happy to see a strike, to see what effect it has on transferring people from cars to public transport. The Icelandic ash cloud had a good effect in getting people onto the railways, so lets see if this does the same.

Since the trains on my line are all diesel - no thanks!

LE Greys

Established Member

Can you even buy jerry cans these days?

Established Member
Can you even buy jerry cans these days?

The only ones I've seen are the normal plastic petrol cans, which don't exactly hold much.

If petrol prices continue to rise I bet more and more people will start filling up and driving away without paying.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Sky News mobile covered the story and gave a link to Fire Service Guidelines on storing petrol and diesel www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/fuel-storage which actually gives incorrect information about storage of diesel
The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity. These containers should be designed for the purpose and must be fitted with a screw cap or closure to prevent leakage of liquid or vapour.

Petrol and diesel fuel should be stored in no more than two 10 litre metal containers or two 5 litre plastic containers. They should be clearly labeled as to their contents.

The 5 litre restriction is for petrol cans, not diesel.

I see Halfords is currently doing an offer on two of their 10 litre plastic diesel 'cans' so I await news of all their branches being raided by the authorities. :D

Incorrect storage of petrol is of course a much more dangerous issue so little wonder the Fire Service is unimpressed with the encouragement of jerrycans.

SS4

Established Member
I sense a certain irony in the xenophobic papers telling people to use Jerry cans given their origins :lol:

bnm

Established Member
Muppets forming substantial queues in a couple of petrol stations in Warwick today.

Well there's little hope for the rest of us if Kermit, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy and the rest are already panic buying.

Schnellzug

Established Member
When are these hypothetical strikes likely to be, if at all? Surely all the idiots following the advice of the Government and not panic buying, oh no no no, whatever gave you that idea, will have used it all up by the time, if there are at all, there are actually any Strikes. Will they not use their Cars until then? I rather doubt it. I'm not sure if people have really thought this through.

* Actually, thinking about it, another conspiracy theory: considering how much of a nice little boom this must be for the Oil companies, and how much the Government must be making from it in Tax, maybe that's why Mr. Cameroon encouraged it ....

Nym

Established Member
Certanly managed it round here, everywhere bar asda and a couple of small indies had sold out of fuel (and the small indies I'm on about are old and have insanely large tanks)

SS4

Established Member
When are these hypothetical strikes likely to be, if at all? Surely all the idiots following the advice of the Government and not panic buying, oh no no no, whatever gave you that idea, will have used it all up by the time, if there are at all, there are actually any Strikes. Will they not use their Cars until then? I rather doubt it. I'm not sure if people have really thought this through.

* Actually, thinking about it, another conspiracy theory: considering how much of a nice little boom this must be for the Oil companies, and how much the Government must be making from it in Tax, maybe that's why Mr. Cameroon encouraged it ....

It would have been used anyway. Essentially it's mortgaging long term revenue for short term gain. You know like his predecessors who privatised virtually all essential services. The only difference here is that it will affect his own government instead of being left to Labour and of course there is Clegg* ready and willing to take the blame
This story is as good as any as to why privatisation of essential services was a <censored> idea. Will the lights go off in Berlin or Koln?

The Q&A doesn't say when it'll be (very odd as you'd expect it to be one of the top questions). Not knowing when something will happen has been used to induce fear and panic for centuries.

* This a backbone: http://andyet.net/uploads/backbone-graphic.png

Schnellzug

Established Member
This story is as good as any as to why privatisation of essential services was a <censored> idea. Will the lights go off in Berlin or Koln?

Yes, They say that CO2 emissions from Fossil Fuels are a Bad thing, but I bet the People would rejoice at that story, since if you asked them I bet the average Person on the street would come out with the automatic kneejerk response "No Nuclear power!" and "We don't want it here!!".

richw

Veteran Member
no point panic buying yet:

unite said:
No strike dates have been set, and Unite would give seven days' notice before any action

I'd run out if i filled up more than 7 days in advance of any strike!

Established Member
Got to confess that idiot Maude had me swearing at the radio yesterday, it isn't even certain that the tanker drivers will actually go on strike yet; nothing like telling people not to panic then doing the exact opposite in the next breath <( Queues reported at my local garage yesterday evening, more vehicles than normal in there at 23:00 last night and a small queue this lunchtime and some pumps were OOU (empty?).

It doesn't bother me at the moment as we normally only fill up every couple of months but the car is getting an outing this weekend and will probably want filling up afterwards so it will be interesting to see if we can actually find some fuel when we do need it.

Established Member
I saw a car queueing at a petrol station today! :o

Though, most of the pumps were cordened off whilst they fixed a problem with the pressure cut off, and there were only two pumps available.

richw

Veteran Member
'Don't Panic, Don't Panic!!'
Too late, Garage at work now out of Diesel, nothing like a good ol' British 'Panic' is there??

which garage do you work at? Some of the queues around are absolutely ridiculous!

theblackwatch

Established Member
It doesn't bother me at the moment as we normally only fill up every couple of months but the car is getting an outing this weekend and will probably want filling up afterwards so it will be interesting to see if we can actually find some fuel when we do need it.

Every couple of months! :o Wish I had to do that - filled up today (having had to queue) and I'll be lucky if any of that is left tomorrow after a trip to the Mid Norfolk. I passed another local garage which had no queue but then realised why, when I saw the sign that said "sorry no fuel". The tanker driver don't need to strike to cause chaos - all they have to do is announce that they're holding a ballot, and with some assistance from a government minister, panic sets in.

GearJammer

lol, i got some dirty looks today when i pulled in the services in my truck, pulled up between 2 pumps, handed my card in then promptly took one nozzle out of one pump and stuck it in one tank then walked round the other side took the nozzle out the other pump and stuck it in the other tank and took 424 litres of diesel..got more dirty looks when i went in and paid and got 30 odd Esso Cash back tokens! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.