• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fully East Coast Livieried HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
I was looking at some photos I took at Alexandra Palace the other week and I noticed that there's an HST set completely in the East Coast livery. I know the repainting of the 43s is nearly finished but I didn't realise there were plans to change the livery on the Mk3s too.

Somewhat ironic if it isn't just a one off what with the franchise changing hands in the not too distant future. I think it looks rather smart though.

Here's the set on the Highland Chieftain:

43274 Passes Alexandra Palace by TheJRB, on Flickr

43309 Passes Alexandra Palace by TheJRB, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I suspect any repainting will stop now.

I'm guessing that that may be the ex-EMT set. I know that at least one of the PCs is Ex EMT (43274)

387star

On Moderation
Correct it was the ex EMT set which had one coach altered to include FGW seating

Almost all if not all power cars are plain grey all other mk3 coaches are national express which the East Coast branding looks good on

Some mk4s were painted silver so it will be interesting how virgin tackle this

Forgive me if I seem livery obsessed but the right livery does enhance the product no end in my view

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the ex-EMT set and I believe it's been confirmed offically that this will be the only East Coast set to receive full East Coast livery.

RobShipway

Established Member
Will it be worth Virgin repainting the HSTs, since in about 3 - 4 years time there will be Class 800/801 trains on the route to replace them?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They might get a covering of vinyl but unless they need repainting I doubt they'll get an actually paint job.

TheJRB

Established Member
I suspect any repainting will stop now.

I'm guessing that that may be the ex-EMT set. I know that at least one of the PCs is Ex EMT (43274)

Correct it was the ex EMT set which had one coach altered to include FGW seating

Almost all if not all power cars are plain grey all other mk3 coaches are national express which the East Coast branding looks good on

Some mk4s were painted silver so it will be interesting how virgin tackle this

Forgive me if I seem livery obsessed but the right livery does enhance the product no end in my view

It's the ex-EMT set and I believe it's been confirmed offically that this will be the only East Coast set to receive full East Coast livery.
Ah! That explains that then! :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As "interior refurbishment" is promised, I wonder if they'll do a full job on this set?

As for exterior, I'd expect vinyl-only too. Unless they go crazy and dig out the old Virgin "inherited from BR" livery

Fincra5

Established Member
Just looks like a base coat for a Virgin Livery (always has imo) Silver and Dark Gray doors. Very Familiar.

800px-390045_at_Carlisle.JPG

bramling

Veteran Member

Shame, as I've always found the East Coast livery to be one of the better recent ones, especially the few sets which received the silver paint. Have to say I can't stand the current fad for white liveries - shows the dirt awfully, and looks like undercoat. Nothing wrong with the DFT specifying liveries to reduce wastage, but please not always white!

alexl92

Established Member
Shame, as I've always found the East Coast livery to be one of the better recent ones, especially the few sets which received the silver paint. Have to say I can't stand the current fad for white liveries - shows the dirt awfully, and looks like undercoat. Nothing wrong with the DFT specifying liveries to reduce wastage, but please not always white!

Interesting that you're keen on that. My own reaction was that the silver quickly looked tacky and the grey was just drab! I think that GNER blue and IC Swallow both looked smarter. Each to his own!:)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
red vinyl on the roof, black window-band vinyl, some stripes on the doors, a little more on the power cars/DVTs/91s- job done?

alexl92

Established Member
I don't expect Virgin Red will look that good on the 225s but never mind!

Do EMT have a diagram to Leeds on a Sunday evening? Saw an EMT-liveried HST in Leeds tonight, which was a surprised because the only time I've seen one previously was the East Coast, ex-EMT HST.

causton

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.