• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funding confirmed for East West Rail route re-opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
Of course E-W may well be post HS2 phase 2, in which case the capacity issues become less of a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If the interchange was at St Neots then wouldn't the EWR trains have to reverse there in order to carry on towards Cambridge?

If they used the Bedford-Hitchin line throughout then they could possibly reverse at Hitchin instead and carry on to/from Cambridge by putting bi-directional signalling on the new flyover.

Just looking at Bing maps it would be reasonably easy to six-track into Stevenage from the south and add a third island platform, but much more difficult to add any extra tracks from there to Hitchin. Given that the platform dwell times probably determine capacity, that might be enough.

Fred26

Personally, to not make use of the copious amount of space between Luton and Stevenage and in the process link two large towns, would be utter madness.

Cambridge trains don't have to run through to Oxford, but could terminate at Bedford. MML connections at Bedford and Luton, Luton Airport, ECML connections at Stevenage, Hitchin and on to Cambridge.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
I agree that Luton & stevenage need to be linked. As part of the project if feasible there needs to be a proper station built at Luton airport (albeit in a tunnel underneath due to the hill!) and direct access to the airport/Stevenage from MML both north and south.

Some Thameslink semi-fasts could run via MML & the airport to Stevenage & terminate at Letchworth (or on to Peterborough or Cambridge) to give access to St Albans etc
It also gives Stevenage 3 routes into London - Thameslink can use any of the 3 from the St Pancras low level platforms, so possibly partially relieving pressure on welwyn if say 1 semi fast ran via St albans? & allows limited diversions via MML as the Hertford loop cannot cope if welwyn route is blocked in the peak. Creating some more capacity via the airport as aprt of the EW link way probably be more viable than building a new viaduct to add 2 more tracks at Welwyn.

North Herts also needs access to Milton Keynes for WCML connections
I would enviasge a long distance limited stop say Norwich-Bristol service (probably taking over the extisting Cambridge-Norwich paths but limited stop at main stations (Stevenage, Luton Airport, Luton, Bletchley, Oxford, Swindon, Bath Spa)

Local stoppers: Cambridge (or Letchworth) -MK (or Rugby via Northampton).
Later phase - new link from Stevenage via Hertford to give access to Harlow & Stansted.

Last edited:

al green

Apart from this one from EWR's website itself?

EWR-Central-r2.png

Well (a) that isn't by any means definite, it shows some options and more are being considered by the EWRC, and (b) that's a diagram whereas I really meant lines on an OS map or aerial photo showing physically where the tracks would go.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hasn't quite a lot of the Bedford-Hitchin line been built over?

Yes. Its built on in at least 4 places: southern exit from Bedford, Shefford, Henlow Camp and Ickleford. I think the section between Cardington and Shefford could be re-used but the northern and southern ends would have to be on new alignments.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Well (a) that isn't by any means definite, it shows some options and more are being considered by the EWRC, and (b) that's a diagram whereas I really meant lines on an OS map or aerial photo showing physically where the tracks would go.

They may have this but if they have any sense they won't publish it. The S**t would instantly hit the fan when people see it going through or even vaguely near their houses!

mr_jrt

Established Member
If the interchange was at St Neots then wouldn't the EWR trains have to reverse there in order to carry on towards Cambridge?
I propose St Neots as it's roughly in the middle of Hitchin and Peterborough, so becomes viable for stops from faster services (i.e. post-HS2, maybe intercity services). I then propose a new alignment via Cambourne, joining the former St Ives branch alignment around Histon (and evicting the busway to the roads).

If they used the Bedford-Hitchin line throughout then they could possibly reverse at Hitchin instead and carry on to/from Cambridge by putting bi-directional signalling on the new flyover.
Problem with that is that you concentrate services over a saturated link, and you make a detour to do so. It's a good early phase, but not an ideal long-term one.

Just looking at Bing maps it would be reasonably easy to six-track into Stevenage from the south and add a third island platform, but much more difficult to add any extra tracks from there to Hitchin. Given that the platform dwell times probably determine capacity, that might be enough.

Yup. Sad really, the housing estate south east of Hitchin was one of the largest railway yards on the ECML once...plenty of land was available once upon a time.

The Ham

Established Member
:shock:

Are you just referring to the "central section" east of Bedford?

Yes, as the western section is shown as being used in the construction of HS2 phase 1 to reduce the number of lorry movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.