• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funny Guard Announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot119

Established Member
Slightly unrelated, but I was on 158824 on 1W33 (1508 Milford Haven - Manchester) from Swansea at 1655 on Friday 17th and the refurb is great! Lovely and stylish! The chime from that on 175s announced and said 'Conductor - passenger call for aid' or something like that, and it did this at least a dozen times up until we called at Port Talbot. Then the guard was having a conversation about something, but it was muffled and I couldn't pick it out.

It says "Attention conductor : Call for aid activated" it repeats almost constantly for said Call for aid is reset.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
OK it's the automated announcement, not a guard, but approaching Belgrove I am always bemused by the slight stutter "..Belgrove - change here for all stations to Stspringburn"

I've noticed something similar at Derby: "the xx:18 East Midlands Trains service to... t'Sheffield, calling at Chesterfield and... t'Sheffield". Or is it just me?

Muzer

Established Member
This is from memory because it was quite a while ago - but on a train between Andover and Salisbury (I can't remember which direction or time), we were nowhere near a station. The guard walked into our carriage, shouted "Has everyone got their tickets?" He waited a few seconds, looked at a few people getting their tickets out, then said "Everyone's got their tickets!" and walked out again!

Another one was on a CrossCountry (Bournemouth <--> Manchester). I can't remember the specifics, but before one of the stations, the guard did a very long announcement of all the places you could get to from changing. At one point, he said something along the lines of "change here for Doncaster, Derby, [...] and anywhere else beginning with D."

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I got on an SWT service at Exeter st Davids and when we got to Exeter Central digital Doris announces "change here for Lympstone and Exmouth junction! :o

Never knew they had built a station at Exmouth jn, or maybe it was to wake up any signalling staff on the train that were going to work. :lol:

loopit

i always laugh when you get the announcers reminding you not to forget your children when alighting the train...do they not realise that if you leave your kids on the train...you meant to do that!!!!!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
i always laugh when you get the announcers reminding you not to forget your children when alighting the train...do they not realise that if you leave your kids on the train...you meant to do that!!!!!

I remember an announcement I heard in the late 1990s on a Northern Spirit service into Lincoln during the school holidays, which reminded people to take their children with them, as well as grandparents, in laws and other relatives :lol:

D1009

Established Member
Not from the guard, but..

"Customers wishing to take advantage of the Travelling Chef, please place your orders at the buffet counter".

LE Greys

Established Member
Another distress call is:
<VUUNG> <VUUNG> <VUUNG> <VUUNG> "Attention traincrew! Disabled passenger alarm operated!"

That sounds as if the alarm is disabled. If so, how can it be operated? (And yes, that's a rhetorical question)

Nym

Established Member
Another distress call is:
<VUUNG> <VUUNG> <VUUNG> <VUUNG> "Attention traincrew! Disabled passenger alarm operated!"

That sounds as if the alarm is disabled. If so, how can it be operated? (And yes, that's a rhetorical question)

Whats the betting this was on a DOO service?

Harbon 1

I've heard an EC guard announce this "...and the quiet coach is in Coach B, that's 'B' for 'be quiet' coach..."

made me giggle :)

michael769

Established Member
Automated announcement on a Scotrail 156.

"We would like to apologies for the delay to this service - this is due to a lack of train crew"

This was as the train left bang on time.

O noes I was on the ghost train!

dvboy

Established Member
Not a guard but:

"This is a platform alteration. The 15:08 to Wolverhampton will now depart from platform 5A. Calling at Smethwick Rolfe Street, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Sandwell & Dudley, Dudley Port, Tipton, Coseley and Wolverhampton. Platform 2A for the 15:08 London Midland service to Wolverhampton."

I had to do a 180 degree turn on the concourse.

dooton

The lady guard on the 08.30 ATW arrival into new street announced it as Florence! Then said oh no just Birmingham - had everybody smiling! She was then wishing all the people that got off by her door a lovely day! If only everybody was so cheery, made my morning.

calc7

Established Member
I've heard an EC guard announce this "...and the quiet coach is in Coach B, that's 'B' for 'be quiet' coach..."

made me giggle :)

:lol: I love that one.
The EC guards are a good lot, shame about the management!

Eeveevolve

Driver announcement on a TP 185 in the snow early 2011.

"Due to regulations I have to apply the brakes every so often, just to test they are still working, so for all you passengers standing up, grab a hold of the person next to you and make a new friend"

:D

Shortly before XC removed the buffets on the voyagers.
"The buffet is now open again, we have a range of hot foods for you to get your teeth stuck into but for those we no teeth, we have soup!"
The guy sat opposite me burst out laughing!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
He's been mentioned before, but coming home from Peterborough tonight had the EMT guard who always elongates station names and ends a lot of his announcements with "Taaaaaa!"

He was on particularly good form tonight - pretty much his whole repertoire, including singing at Ruskington. :lol:

Bungle73

On Moderation
On a train I'm on ATM:

"The next stop will be charming Chatham, home of the Historic Dockyard and the one and only Pentagon Shopping Centre"

"The next station will be Historic Rochester, home of the Morris dancers"

LOL!

Ferret

Established Member
Shortly before XC removed the buffets on the voyagers.
"The buffet is now open again, we have a range of hot foods for you to get your teeth stuck into but for those we no teeth, we have soup!"
The guy sat opposite me burst out laughing!

That's the same bloke who used to make his announcements rhyme!

island

Veteran Member
Guard on the morning Euston to Holyhead Voyager this morning nearly sang the announcements (and no it wasn't just a Welsh accent) and rolled the R in Rhyl for a good second or two.

Badger

Incredibly enthusiastic trolley guy on the Stanstead-Birmingham today, announcing it from the top of the carriage and listing all the things available before thanking everyone for their time and taking it down the aisle tooting "you won't find a trolley on the Coventry train!" and "cheaper than any coffee in New Street!". Just about everyone bought something from him.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
'The next station will be Gowerton International'...possibly the strangest announcement I have ever heard, but it did raise a few laughs amongst those who heard it. It did take a while to sink in though!

Bungle73

On Moderation
On a train I'm on ATM:

"The next stop will be charming Chatham, home of the Historic Dockyard and the one and only Pentagon Shopping Centre"

"The next station will be Historic Rochester, home of the Morris dancers"

LOL!
The guard also made an annoucment about keeping the isles clear for the trolley dolly or something, but the "trolley dolly" was serving some customers right by me at the time so I didn't catch it properly.

Michael.Y

Established Member
'The next station will be Gowerton International'...possibly the strangest announcement I have ever heard, but it did raise a few laughs amongst those who heard it. It did take a while to sink in though!

Probably the same ATW conductor who confused a passenger by referring to a request stop on the HOWL as "Broome International - change here for the Eurostar".

That's the same bloke who used to make his announcements rhyme!

Oh yeah I just remembered another announcement he made later on the same journey that rhymed, we were approaching Tiverton Parkway.
"If you look out of the left hand side of the train you'll see a large queue on the M5 motorway, oh and by the way were just about to arrive at Tiverton Parkway."
I hope he's still working the XC trains, makes the voyager journey much more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.