• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funny Guard Announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'd be slightly worried that the Train Driver was more obsessed with making continuous, ridiculous tanny announcements than actually.. ERM driving the train! Wouldn't be surprised if half way through that load of nonsense you heard "oops, s**t, there goes a red light"

There's always one in every village who is devoid of a sense of humour and the award goes to you... you're obviously not a happy bunny are you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cobob04

I agree, thankfully, maybe more luck than judgement, no passing of red signals, possibly no red signals anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Very poor advice to get off at Regent's Park for the zoo... it's a long walk. Camden Town is much closer! :D

Yes, before you ask... my tongue is firmly in cheek. But it's a useful tip nonetheless.

LOL - yep but Camden town isn't on the Bakerloo. Besides, thinking on distance, Baker Street is closer to the zoo. well at least the bus stop for bus to zoo is.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Reminds me of the Irish lady on the opening credits of The Tube. Was it her?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JowTyzuosFw first couple of seconds!

Not sure, it may well have been, same vocals.

cjohnson

Heard on SWT the other week....

"Any small children alighting at Basingstoke, please ensure you take any parents and grandparents with you when leaving the train."

user15681

Established Member
About two weeks ago, on a Friday evening (it was a bank holiday weekend) service from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston, the man in the shop was making announcements encouraging people to start the bank holiday well with a strong drink. We had just left a station and as he finished his announcement he said "please make sure your lap trays are in the upright position, your seat belts are on and you're prepared for take off."

Many laughs ensued.

lukeobrien02

yesterday southern Brighton to Ashford International after leaving Hastings

just a notice to all those standing in the front coach there are plenty of lonely people with empty seats next to them just waiting to make some friends in the rear coach will you be their friend

got some laughs and the rear coach remained half empty

Stuart-h

I was on a Virgin service some time ago running from Milton Keynes Central to London Euston. I remember the guard saying something like"If the driver gets to Euston late he's going to get a smack!"

cjohnson

Heard on SWT last week: "Please do not hold the doors open on my train. If you want to hold doors open, go and get a job as a hotel doorman."

Geargrinder

Heard on an EMT service last week ; "Ladies and gentlemen, please could you have all tickets, railcards, passes and excuses ready.":D

Pilgrim

Was on a SWT journey a while ago and the voice came over, "Now approaching Guildford but why you want to get off here I shall never know!"

There was also a guard who came over in a deep rasta voice saying "We appolgise for the delay but there is a points failure up ahead so you could say there is no function at the junction"

Southern313

A certain colleague who shall remain nameless upon arriving at London Bridge with a AM peak finished his announcement with "please mind the gap between the timetable and reality"

All but one found it funny...and he was a manager :)

dvboy

Established Member
"Our next station will be Stourbridge Junction, I mean Smethwick Galton Bridge"

This was on ATW who don't go to SBJ!

rdwarr

Had a sort of "funny" announcement at Blackfriars this morning. It's a new one.
All trains at this station stop at the far end of the platform in the direction of travel.
In fact no southbound ones do unless they're 12-car.

AlexS

Established Member
Probably a ploy to get the lemmings to spread along the platforms and use all the doors, rather than bunching up around one door near the platform entrance and either a) having a scrum to get on or b) being all British and queuing politely to get on 3 minutes after departure time when the other 15 doors on the train are empty.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Heard 'please remember to take your umbrellas with you, as it may be raining later in the day' yesterday on an XC service arriving at Leicester.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Had a sort of "funny" announcement at Blackfriars this morning. It's a new one.

In fact no southbound ones do unless they're 12-car.

The 4 car ones don't stop so far from it - certainly a lot nearer than the back of the platform.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Week or so ago on XC... Ladies and gents you'll be pleased to know we are arriving at Derby! Then something about no bungie jumping allowed so mind the gap...

wijit

A couple of weeks ago we had "now arriving at Gorton International", it was impossible to detect if it was sarcasm or an observation on the multi-cultural aspect of the area.
Saturday just gone we had "now arriving at Ashburys, home of themassive blue council house, of Man City", then upon arriving at Piccadilly "Now arriving at the thriving metropolis that is Manchester Piccadilly, the best city in the world" I don't recall the list of items he asked us to make sure we had with us, but he had everyone in stitches. What a way to start what was a long day.
**doffs cap**

A couple of weeks ago we had "now arriving at Gorton International", it was impossible to detect if it was sarcasm or an observation on the multi-cultural aspect of the area.
Saturday just gone we had "now arriving at Ashburys, home of themassive blue council house, of Man City", then upon arriving at Piccadilly "Now arriving at the thriving metropolis that is Manchester Piccadilly, the best city in the world" I don't recall the list of items he asked us to make sure we had with us, but he had everyone in stitches. What a way to start what was a long day.
**doffs cap**

I'd have a guess at. "Wives, children, mother-in-laws, chickens goats,
Lions, tigers and tropical fish! "

:p

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'd have a guess at. "Wives, children, mother-in-laws, chickens goats,
Lions, tigers and tropical fish! "

:p

You're a good 'un.

Is it 'William Huskisson MP' by the way!? I'm seeing that unit all the time!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Had one reported earlier on Facebook... I believe it to be a Greater Anglia conductor. "If you happen to be travelling on a child ticket, please just take a moment to check your age is under 16."

TP

HonorlessMink

A couple of times I've had who appears to be the same announcer on Southern Metro services.

One rainy rush hour service to Caterham he politely requested that "any pregnant ladies should be offered seats by those sat down as their children will eventually be paying his pension."

On the approach to East Croydon he said "We are now approaching East Croydon. Change here for services to Brighton and Eastbourne, though, let's face it, it's not exactly beach weather, is it now?"

This was also a few days before a timetable change where he said: "I recommend you all check the new timetable because you don't want to be stood in the rain waiting for your train which will never come."

:)

tsr

Established Member
A couple of times I've had who appears to be the same announcer on Southern Metro services.

I think I've had that driver. Is he the same one who apologises profusely for the overcrowding of evening rush-hour services to Caterham and "hopes that all of you have a jolly good evening, anyway"?

HonorlessMink

I think I've had that driver. Is he the same one who apologises profusely for the overcrowding of evening rush-hour services to Caterham and "hopes that all of you have a jolly good evening, anyway"?

I believe we may be speaking of the same person. The occasions that I have experienced his services it's almost every station where he makes an announcement and wishes everyone a good or pleasant evening.

Shame the drivers in the morning don't seem quite so bouyant :lol:

ReverendFozz

Anyone ever heard a guard say "Scream if you want to go faster"? Would be brilliant if anyone had!

Heard it on the bus years ago, coming from Durham years ago back to Murton where I live, the bus had nearly ground to a halt going over Moorsley Bank, hardly any power going over the bank, when he suddenly sounded like he was an attendant, giving it the old 'scream if you want to go faster' which lightened up peoples moods as it was the last bus home on a Saturday night...A few weeks later the same driver announced to a bus populated mostly by pensioners 'I wont be stopping at the next stop, I have spotted a group of chavs, if I stop long enough, the little scamps will nick the wheels'...

I think I mentioned in this thread before, coming from Berwick, the train had to terminate at Newcastle because, as the guard put it, 'some little ******* put a window out'

Marxista Fozz

Status
Not open for further replies.