• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of rail freight services to/from Thamesport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
The Margam/Thamesport steel service ran again today, so looks to be a weekly working, potentially.

Also found an article here:

https://www.railfreight.com/intermodal/2017/08/15/first-steel-train-at-london-thamesport/

Last Friday, the first steel train arrived at the new facility of London Thamesport. The train was operated by DB Cargo UK, carrying a shipment for Tata Steel. “Proud to have taken the first ever steel train into a new facility at London Thamesport today for Tata Steel”, the operator tweeted from its official account. The deepwater facility not only has a good rail network to London, the South East, the Midlands and North West, but also has the potential to form a new supply chain corridor to service the European and Far Eastern steel logistics markets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
Another interesting development at Thamesport:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-bu...ate-100-jobs-thamesport-isle-of-grain-132071/

Grupo Pacadar, which designs and manufactures pre-cast concrete structures, has opened a new 20-acre facility at Thamesport on the Isle of Grain.

The company is supplying concrete segments for the Thames Tideway tunnel project, a new sewer being built to protect the river from polution, set to begin construction next year.

The firm, which has been operating for 70 years, also aims to become a supplier to HS2.

Its move to Kent was supported by Locate in Kent, an agency which encourages businesses to move to the county.

The company needed access to water and a port to move its giant concrete structures, which cannot be moved by road.

It sounds like the Tideway components will be leaving by sea, but its HS2 ambitions makes me wonder if it will make use of a rail connection in the future.

BRX

Established Member
This morning another steel working from Thamesport. This one GBRf hauled, unlike the previous ones. I'm not clear whether both DB and GBRf will be operating services, or whether the DB arrangement was just a temporary one - does anyone know more?

Freightmaster

Established Member
This morning another steel working from Thamesport. This one GBRf hauled, unlike the previous ones. I'm not clear whether both DB and GBRf will be operating services, or whether the DB arrangement was just a temporary one - does anyone know more?
GB have the contract, I understand.

MARK

BRX

Established Member
I've recently noticed that a couple of paths (unused as yet, as far as I know) have popped up between Thamesport and Tallington.

Does anyone know what they are for? Anything to do with the Tideway tunnel segments which it appears are being manufactured at both those locations:

For Tideway Central, FLO has engaged Pacadar of Madrid, Spain, to cast the 7.2m i.d. lining. The casting yard facility at Thamesport Kent on the Isle of Grain is equipped with 45 moulds supplied by cbe of France to cast the seven segments plus a key in each 350mm thick x 1.8m x 8.5m o.d. x 7.8m i.d. ring of lining.

Segments for the 7.2m i.d. lining rings for the East Contract drive are being manufactured by Tarmac and Max Bögl at a precast factory at Tallington near Stamford in Lincolnshire. Mould suppliers for the East and West tunnel contracts are yet to be confirmed.

Concrete sections for the mega sewer are being made in Tallington DB have the contract to deliver them. they dropped off some wagons at Tallington last month as per photos on Flickr. Dont know if any service has ran to Tallington to Thamesport yet.

BRX

Established Member
Concrete sections for the mega sewer are being made in Tallington DB have the contract to deliver them. they dropped off some wagons at Tallington last month as per photos on Flickr. Dont know if any service has ran to Tallington to Thamesport yet.
I see, thanks.
I guess they get delivered to Thamesport and then taken by water from there to the construction sites along the river?

Good summary here.
A vast new tunnel is being built under London, and although it will carry no trains when completed, it will be rail freight that makes it happen. This is the answer to London’s sewerage problem, and the answer is rail freight. How else could thousands upon thousands of precast tunnel sections be delivered to the vast Thames Tideway Project, if not by rail.
https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2020/08/20/london-thamesport-flushed-to-receive-first-train-for-tideway-east/

eastwestdivide

Established Member
On Wed night/Thur (19-20/08/2020) there was a 2230 Tallington Tarmac Dbc to Grain Thamesport (Dbc)
Realtimetrains link (until it expires in about a week):
and screenshot attached for posterity:
Tallington-Grain.jpg

Pity it runs at night otherwise we'd have some photo opportunities

Class 170101

Established Member
On Wed night/Thur (19-20/08/2020) there was a 2230 Tallington Tarmac Dbc to Grain Thamesport (Dbc)
Realtimetrains link (until it expires in about a week):
and screenshot attached for posterity:
View attachment 82550

Pity it runs at night otherwise we'd have some photo opportunities

Maybe next summer or catch it at a station with good lighting.

Interesting path though running via Temple Mills and run round rather than carrying on via South Tottenham and directly to the West London Line or via Kings Cross Incline, NLL to the West London Line and I'd be surprised if both routes were blocked for engineering access.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Interesting path though running via Temple Mills and run round rather than carrying on via South Tottenham and directly to the West London Line or via Kings Cross Incline, NLL to the West London Line and I'd be surprised if both routes were blocked for engineering access.
I've been thinking that too. Perhaps the trains are too heavy to climb up the Incline?

SteveHFC

When the Tallington to Grain trains are planned to do a run-round at Temple Mills - it is due to engineering work. The WTT does run via South Tottenham. The train mentioned in the post above was planned by yours truly.

BRX

Established Member
When the Tallington to Grain trains are planned to do a run-round at Temple Mills - it is due to engineering work. The WTT does run via South Tottenham. The train mentioned in the post above was planned by yours truly.
Are you able to tell me how often they are running at the moment - do they follow a regular pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.