• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Ticket Office Consultations launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Another backward step by the UK, why is everything about cutting in this country.

Why ? Only about 10% of ticket sales are now made by ticket offices.

90% are using pre-bought tickets online or using at station machines.

The way people buy tickets has changed, the rail industry are now, belatedly, catching up with that and restructuring to support it. It's the same with bank branches, so few people are using some of them it's a waste of resource to keep them open.

A0wen

On Moderation
Which seems to sum up how this country as a whole is progressing - low wage, low skill, low qualification. Then we wonder why nothing in this country seems to function properly.

Except that isn't true - there are high-wage, high skill jobs - lots of them in fact. However, selling rail tickets isn't one of them, nor is selling you a cup of coffee or a newspaper, so there will always be some 'low skill, low wage' jobs.

James H

Despite word of these proposals I cannot find anywhere on the Internet any document detailing this scheme.
The first post in this thread has links to the relevant information on each TOC's website. Some are more detailed than others.

Tazi Hupefi

Why are these only interim measures?
Because the industry has presumably realised that these things need to be regularly reviewed, and not just in "big hits" like now.

The closures will happen now and some measures put in place.
But in 12, 18 months time etc, and into the future, those measures will more than likely not be necessary either, and will be removed.
Nobody realistically believes that Northern are going to send a man to stand around at a lightly used station, surrounded by a field for several hours a day forever more, surely? Glazebrook being an example of this mentioned earlier.

As technology progresses, you could reasonably expect TVMs to eventually disappear for example.

I bet there will be another round of closures/staffing reviews when the TfL contactless projects finish their expansion.

LowLevel

Established Member
Correct, from reading the proposals platform staffing is completely out of scope.

Not accurate. It isn't in the public proposals but for example EMR have advised the On Train staff of their intention to consult on the extension of guard self dispatch of trains to nearly all locations, for example, amongst other changes.

It's not something the public will see as they're not entitled to be consulted on it, but the proposals will almost definitely exist elsewhere.

bramling

Veteran Member
Except that isn't true - there are high-wage, high skill jobs - lots of them in fact. However, selling rail tickets isn't one of them, nor is selling you a cup of coffee or a newspaper, so there will always be some 'low skill, low wage' jobs.

In terms of running a railway, there is a level of skill required, even just being able to communicate clearly and concisely. In the London area at least the industry is now seriously struggling to attract people who can even function at that level. And we then wonder why rail services don’t function very well these days, and melt down when the slightest problem happens.

Not accurate. It isn't in the public proposals but for example EMR have advised the On Train staff of their intention to consult on the extension of guard self dispatch of trains to nearly all locations, for example, amongst other changes.

It's not something the public will see as they're not entitled to be consulted on it, but the proposals will almost definitely exist elsewhere.

Did GTR not implement something similar? I might be misremembering, but ISTR it was certainly proposed that the majority of platform-staff dispatch was planned to be, or has, been ditched on their patch already? The industry seems to lurch from one thing to another on this, as only a few years ago there was a massive increase in the number of dispatch staff.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Is it any different in any other countries? There seems to be far more unstaffed stations in mainland Europe than here in the UK?
I didn't find that at all while interailing in France and Italy this year. As a visitor I used the ticket offices a number of times for information. Same for Portugal.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member

frodshamfella

Established Member
Why ? Only about 10% of ticket sales are now made by ticket offices.

90% are using pre-bought tickets online or using at station machines.

The way people buy tickets has changed, the rail industry are now, belatedly, catching up with that and restructuring to support it. It's the same with bank branches, so few people are using some of them it's a waste of resource to keep them open.
Bank branches closing is another matter, not everyone wants to use apps. Generally when banks close, towns go down hill too and become more desolate than many already are. Sometimes its just easier speaking to a "real" person rather than looking at the never relevant FAQ. This goes for rail ticket offices.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I didn't find that at all while interailing in France and Italy this year. As a visitor I used the ticket offices a number of times for information
And where ticket offices are a rarity, eg Austria, the fares structure is generally simpler and the TVMs have greater functionality.

Goldfish62

Established Member
fares are not simple here at all.
Fare enough. I only travel by train in Austria a few times a year, and I'm just really quoting from friends who live there who say fares are simpler than the UK. Obviously if you have greater knowledge I'll bow to that.

John Luxton

Established Member
GWR very helpfully provide some enlightening statistics about what is actually being sold at each of their stations. Although a shame for some, it does seem to indicate that products like Rangers and Rovers just add an unnecessary complication to an already crowded ticketing system and in the wider scheme of things, their loss would be extremely insignificant. If there is a genuine business case or need for these sorts of products, the industry will make them 'smart' or like Northern, find a way to retail them without the need for staff assistance.
I had a glimpse through the list of tickets sold at some GWR outlets and noticed just how few rovers and rangers were sold which actually surprised me. Whilst enthusiasts obviously buy them I don't think the general public are as aware of them now as they once where. I recall in the 1970s they were actively promoted by leaflets and posters, that's how I first became aware of them as a teenager.

Even for the non-enthusiast used intelligently rovers in particular can save quite a lot of cash and offer flexibility of travel which advance tickets can't. They do need a lot more promotion.

Some Rovers and Rangers can be bought on line. I have had a Devon and Cornwall 3 in 7 day from GWR bought on line and posted to me and though quickly delivered one can't really do it at a spare of the moment decision.

Other Rovers cant Explore Wales Rover has to be bought at a ticket office.

It would be a great shame if Rovers came to an end as a result of these changes. I for one have only recently returned to the main network in the last couple of years after several decades absence. If they did disappear it would be back to the car again.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Why is Rail Delivery Group suggesting to the media that "some ticket kiosks would remain in large stations" (BBC) if, as Avanti's proposals suggest, the aim is to close all ticket offices?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Why is Rail Delivery Group suggesting to the media that "some ticket kiosks would remain in large stations" (BBC) if, as Avanti's proposals suggest, the aim is to close all ticket offices?
Because some TOCs are keeping ticket offices. Avanti aren't.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Because not all TOCs are closing all booking offices. The proposals are in the first post. Northern in particular seem to be keeping some relatively minor ones in comparison.

I can sort of see the sense in this. Almost all long distance tickets are now sold online, but people making short journeys in the North are probably the most likely to want to pay cash to a person on the day.

rb124

Will WHSmith or Costa decide to go into ticket retailing?! Or should I!?!?

kkong

That's because RDG aren't consulting. As per the TSA, Transport Focus (or London Travel Watch in London) are running the consultations. The local TOC pages are much more useful

Nevertheless, some might think it would have been helpful to link to this page from the press release on their website home page.

They did after all find space there to include links to London Travelwatch, Transport Focus and... a Vimeo video about Bicester Village...

Goldfish62

Established Member
I had a glimpse through the list of tickets sold at some GWR outlets and noticed just how few rovers and rangers were sold which actually surprised me. Whilst enthusiasts obviously buy them I don't think the general public are as aware of them now as they once where. I recall in the 1970s they were actively promoted by leaflets and posters, that's how I first became aware of them as a teenager.

Even for the non-enthusiast used intelligently rovers in particular can save quite a lot of cash and offer flexibility of travel which advance tickets can't. They do need a lot more promotion.

Some Rovers and Rangers can be bought on line. I have had a Devon and Cornwall 3 in 7 day from GWR bought on line and posted to me and though quickly delivered one can't really do it at a spare of the moment decision.

Other Rovers cant Explore Wales Rover has to be bought at a ticket office.

It would be a great shame if Rovers came to an end as a result of these changes. I for one have only recently returned to the main network in the last couple of years after several decades absence. If they did disappear it would be back to the car again.
There's a general lack of awareness of rail rovers even among railway staff. The TOCs reportedly don't like them. I expect they will eventually (or soon) go (except for Wales and Scotland) as yet another item on the list designed to make rail travel less attractive.

Mat17

I had a glimpse through the list of tickets sold at some GWR outlets and noticed just how few rovers and rangers were sold which actually surprised me. Whilst enthusiasts obviously buy them I don't think the general public are as aware of them now as they once where.

I used to use the GM Rail Rangers all the time - many purchased at either Romiley or Piccadilly. Looks like neither will have a booking office! A sign of the times.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just been looking through my local one, GWR and surprisingly some stations are still over 30% cash rather than card sales. Particularly in holiday areas.

Also appears there are stations like Evesham with over 20% using cash rather than card, but with card only TVMs, presumably that means the 20%+ won't be able to buy tickets before boarding

Also get Stations eg Dawlish, where only 40% of journeys booked online, and other 60% are walk up, bought at station, but just a single TVM

Some eg Bristol Temple Meads are showing the ticket office as reduced windows, but then show complete closure late 2024 further down the page

Document is long, and gives breakdowns for one station per page

They should absolutely not be closing ticket offices at stations like Temple Meads. This is why the proposals lack credibility

sor

It's the same with bank branches, so few people are using some of them it's a waste of resource to keep them open.
without wishing to veer too off topic, this is not a great comparison, as branch closures came about much more naturally. Online/phone/app banking is genuinely seamless and easy to use, so unless you need to deal with cash then realistically you don't need a branch (to the point where some of the challenger banks never bothered to open any). The Post Office and PayPoint banking schemes fill a lot of the gaps.

By comparison, rail ticketing is nowhere near the stage where they could reasonably close most ticket offices, nor could you ask for a ticket at your local corner shop

KGX

I’m surprised at some of the low usage of the TVMs. I was expecting them to be a low % - but surprised at how low.

Status
Not open for further replies.