• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

MotCO

Established Member
Yesterday, Campbell was reported as alleging that Johnson was lying when he claimed to have had Covid.

It was worse than that - he said he did not believe that Boris nearly died from Covid:
68987113-11889795-image-a-13_1679492611835.jpg

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ll-branded-sick-Boris-Johnson-Covid-jibe.html

Boris himself has said that it was touch and go at one stage. https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-02...-to-announce-his-death-as-he-battled-covid-19

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm not sure that he's homophobic as much as that he is quite forceful about following the traditional teachings of his religion, and wanting the churches he cares about to do so as well. (Though I do appreciate that there is a strong argument that as those religions themselves officially consider gay sex to be sinful, following those beliefs 'to the letter' is also homophobic).

He seems to be good friends with Darren Grimes - and David Starkey, for that matter - which would be a bit odd if he *personally* was homophobic.
That's just the same as saying someone can't be racist if they have black friends. Robinson is a grifter and the CofE rightly saw through him for what he is. That's why they rejected him, and he went to a bizarre and tiny sect to get ordained. He’s an unserious person.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It was worse than that - he said he did not believe that Boris nearly died from Covid:
68987113-11889795-image-a-13_1679492611835.jpg

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ll-branded-sick-Boris-Johnson-Covid-jibe.html

Boris himself has said that it was touch and go at one stage. https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-02...-to-announce-his-death-as-he-battled-covid-19

I am certain he got Covid (I mean, he clearly wasn't bothered about who he mixed with or taking basis precautions) but I don't personally believe he was on his deathbed based on things that were said at the time (like him not needing much oxygen). However, I am not sure what the truth.

No doubt something will leak one day that will confirm if he was making it up entirely, exaggerating about the severity for sympathy (and because we must remember he was often hiding from the media during the crisis), or was literally moments away from death.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
GB News is one such classic example, but Stateside you have many. It seems GB News isn't getting the necessary traction, but it still gets soundbites into other sections of the media and bots get a lot of things spread on Twitter and the like.
At least in the USA you have CNN and, to an extent. MSNBC to counter the Fox diet of MAGA and Trump's latest bombast, whereas here there is nothing mainstream to offer an alternative to GB News. The BBC is gripped by its impartiality 'rules' now being interpreted to mean that the Tories and their many leaders, ex-leaders and nonentities like Rees-Mogg must have their pronouncements treated as though they come direct from God. Johnson and his advisers are now very much playing Trump cards that any criticism or sanction is outrageous and biased. I can only hope our Security Services are as much on the case as those in the USA and in Germany, because the threat to democracy is imminent and emanating at least in part from countries to the east of Ukraine.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am sure the need for voter ID here came about because there are some people trying to undermine our belief in safe elections.

If the Tories lose at the next election, which even most Tory MPs seem to assume will happen, I expect the likes of GB News are going to stir the pot by saying the election must have been stolen.

Let's wait and see, but I'm pretty certain.

JamesT

Established Member
At least in the USA you have CNN and, to an extent. MSNBC to counter the Fox diet of MAGA and Trump's latest bombast, whereas here there is nothing mainstream to offer an alternative to GB News. The BBC is gripped by its impartiality 'rules' now being interpreted to mean that the Tories and their many leaders, ex-leaders and nonentities like Rees-Mogg must have their pronouncements treated as though they come direct from God. Johnson and his advisers are now very much playing Trump cards that any criticism or sanction is outrageous and biased. I can only hope our Security Services are as much on the case as those in the USA and in Germany, because the threat to democracy is imminent and emanating at least in part from countries to the east of Ukraine.
Depends what you consider an alternative, but Channel4 News?

dosxuk

Established Member
At least in the USA you have CNN and, to an extent. MSNBC to counter the Fox diet of MAGA and Trump's latest bombast, whereas here there is nothing mainstream to offer an alternative to GB News. The BBC is gripped by its impartiality 'rules' now being interpreted to mean that the Tories and their many leaders, ex-leaders and nonentities like Rees-Mogg must have their pronouncements treated as though they come direct from God. Johnson and his advisers are now very much playing Trump cards that any criticism or sanction is outrageous and biased.
There is no mainstream alternative to GB News - it is not, by their own words, a news channel. Their programming is based around opinion, while what is portrayed as their competition are all based around factual news - with a clearly defined line between what is and isn't opinion (e.g. you don't get newsreaders giving their opinion on the days news, they go to third parties for that - and on the odd occasion when a newsreader does veer into opinion, they get told off and apologies are thrown around like confetti).

GB News do not want to be a news channel - otherwise they would fall into the same impartiality difficulties that are faced by the likes of BBC, Sky and ITN in their programming. All GB News have to do is show that there is a range of opinions - be that with a token gesture of someone the presenter disagrees with given a few moments to present an alternative - and they have fulfilled their requirements under the broadcasting code (which is where Mark Steyn fell foul, because he presented his interpretation of a Covid data set as being the interpretation - if he'd just had a single sentence of "of course, there are alternative interpretations, and we don't know what sort of uptake there has been of the third vaccine" and he wouldn't have been censured). Notably, the requirement for alternative opinions to be visible is not present in any US broadcasting rules, so non-UK contributors may not be aware of (or agree with) this requirement.

The initial airings of GB News sailed very close to not having sufficient separation of opinion and factual presentation, discussions of which (and their need to be seen as not a news channel) is what brought about the short news bulletins with a different presenter. Laughably, they originally tried to say the weather bulletins were the news output, while everything else was opinion, but that flew with nobody.

As to why there isn't an alternative to GB News leading on centrist / leftist opinion - well I would propose that it's mostly that nobody really cares. There seems to be a part of the right that really thrives on hearing their opinion reflected back at themselves, and they are a big enough commercial market to make it worthwhile to produce programming for. I think there is a similar part on the left, but they're far less trusting of the commercial world and are less likely to spend money on things they've seen advertised - there is a thriving left wing community publishing industry, which every time one of those publications seems to start getting more prominent, collapses under cries of selling out or going mainstream.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Guido Fawkes reports that GBNews are to build a new studio in the QE2 conference centre just off Parliament Square.

Not sure if this is to be in addition to the studio they rent in Westminster Tower on the south side of Lambeth Bridge, or whether it will replace it.

Typhoon

Established Member
Guido Fawkes reports that GBNews are to build a new studio in the QE2 conference centre just off Parliament Square.

Not sure if this is to be in addition to the studio they rent in Westminster Tower on the south side of Lambeth Bridge, or whether it will replace it.
Very convenient for Rees-Mogg, Anderson, Davies and McVey.

jon0844

Veteran Member
With an election coming up, GB News is likely going to play a big part. It will have to be careful about the laws that kick in during an election, but I'm sure they'll push the boundaries as much as possible.

Ediswan

Established Member
With an election coming up, GB News is likely going to play a big part. It will have to be careful about the laws that kick in during an election, but I'm sure they'll push the boundaries as much as possible.
Are there any special laws applicable prior to polling day ?

dosxuk

Established Member
Are there any special laws applicable prior to polling day ?

Very much so - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-a...adcast-code/section-six-elections-referendums - in the case of local elections, the rules are in place from the last date for publication of notices of the election.

I suspect there will be a number of stories in the coming months about how Ofcom is trying to get GB News shut down as a result of investigations in to their electoral coverage where they sail close to the wind. They're also going to have a bit of a presenter shortage, as representatives of political parties (not just candidates) are not allowed to present any programming during an election period.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looking forward to GB News becoming the official TV station of the opposition in a year or two. If they last that long.

They may well get more funding in that case, as financial backers will need to work even harder to get a right-wing party back in power.

Sebastian O

I suspect Calvin is just grifting. He's cosplaying for some suspect church, so I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

For all his anti gay/LGBT+ rhetoric, it could well be projection too.
Spurted my beer out reading this. Excellent!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Calvin Robinson Tells Us Why Christians Should Oppose Gay Marriage:

Interesting that he doesn't even seem to enjoy being on GB News - but I guess it gives him an audience and keeps him relevant.

Calvin Robinson is a British conservative political commentator, writer, and broadcaster. Calvin is known for speaking out on social issues and is a host on GB NEWS In this episode we talk about Gay Marriage, His ministry and misconceptions people have about him

I still think he's a grifter though, and I really don't know what's going on with his 'church' (which is strongly against the Church of England) or what he really believes in.

Ediswan

Established Member
I still think he's a grifter though, and I really don't know what's going on with his 'church' (which is strongly against the Church of England) or what he really believes in.
The disagreements can't be that strong, they recognise each other's holy orders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Church_of_England#Recognition_of_orders
In January 2013 it was announced that the Church of England had recognised the holy orders of the Free Church of England.
In recent years,[when?] FCE bishops have licensed clergy of the Church of England to officiate in FCE contexts while remaining members of the Established Church.

jon0844

Veteran Member
He uses any opportunity to attack them though. He does so in the interview also, albeit not as strongly.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

Owned by parliament so of course the Tories will sanction it.

Very much so - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-a...adcast-code/section-six-elections-referendums - in the case of local elections, the rules are in place from the last date for publication of notices of the election.

I suspect there will be a number of stories in the coming months about how Ofcom is trying to get GB News shut down as a result of investigations in to their electoral coverage where they sail close to the wind. They're also going to have a bit of a presenter shortage, as representatives of political parties (not just candidates) are not allowed to present any programming during an election period.
Hmmm. GBeebies thinks they can keep those presenters going by just telling them to be impartial. Problem is the chair of Ofcom is a Tory.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Calvin Robinson Tells Us Why Christians Should Oppose Gay Marriage:

Interesting that he doesn't even seem to enjoy being on GB News - but I guess it gives him an audience and keeps him relevant.

He’s sitting in front of his big telly which is displaying stained glass window motifs, hilarious.

BenS123

Typhoon

Established Member
Just spotted this https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1642267339574870022?t=Ekno2bDQNEasZu3DCU7trw&s=19

I can't believe I'm saying this, but as someone who has the aforementioned condition and knows how often it is misrepresented, well done to GBNews for raising awareness of it.
Charles Walker is one of the MPs I have respect for. I don't always agree with what he says, but I do believe that he has the interests of the country and his constituency at heart. A decent bloke, so I am not surprised he has spoken about this while he is in a prominent position. He will be missed.

BenS123

Charles Walker is one of the MPs I have respect for. I don't always agree with what he says, but I do believe that he has the interests of the country and his constituency at heart. A decent bloke, so I am not surprised he has spoken about this while he is in a prominent position. He will be missed.
I've just watched the interview and honestly it was a really interesting insight, and outlined very clearly what OCD is.

Charles Walker has done a great service to everyone with OCD, myself included, as he has used his platform to raise awareness of a severely debilitating condition that is sadly seen by society as a bit of a joke. That is extremely commendable.

Gloster

Established Member
I gather that Jacob Rees-Mogg reads out letters from ‘viewers’ on his show. This recently included one from a certain Peter Rees-Mogg, age 16, son of…

MotCO

Established Member
I gather that Jacob Rees-Mogg reads out letters from ‘viewers’ on his show. This recently included one from a certain Peter Rees-Mogg, age 16, son of…

Yes, I would imagine it would be letters rather than texts or email for Jacob!

Basil Jet

On Moderation
If you ran a politics show and your son wrote you a politics letter, would you refuse to read it out?

365 Networker

In some further updates, two changes have been made to the Farage show:-
- 'Barrage the Farage' is now video based rather than written questions.
-'Talking Pints' appears to have been dropped (I have to say the constant interviews with sports personalities was getting slightly boring)
This does also allow for more discussion on the topics which is better in my view.