• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF 4 day charter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonman2014

Has anyone seen this just been posted to my Facebook page....

Looks an interesting if not bit tiring tour if doing it all :D

http://gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/upcoming-railtours/gbrf-15

Thursday 8th September - Sunday 11th September 2016
GBRf 15 - Celebrating Fifteen Years of GBRailfreight

We plan to operate our most ambitious Charity Railtour yet, over 4 days, from 8th to 11th September. We also intend to use at least 15 different locomotives across the four days, as well as cover a large geographic area representing the broad coverage that GBRf now has.
Whilst all provisional, we expect day 1 to focus mainly on London and the South, and day 2 will travel the routes north of London and into Anglia. We will then operate an overnight leg from Anglia/London to Scotland arriving on the (Saturday) morning of day 3. We will spend all of day 3 in Scotland, and then on day 4 we will return south to London, no doubt via some interesting routes.
We will be able to offer first and standard class seating on board, and the train will be formed of Mark 2 coaching stock throughout. We will have a limited catering facility on board for the duration of the 4 days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Days off are already pencilled in the diary at work. :) Having said that, it depends what motive power and routes are offered each day and what segment fares are offered as to how much of the trip I actually do.

Devonman2014

Days off are already pencilled in the diary at work. :) Having said that, it depends what motive power and routes are offered each day and what segment fares are offered as to how much of the trip I actually do.

I would imagine you will have a bit of everything if it's going most areas....booked all 4 days with intention of doing them all ....

Hopefully there's a long enough break in a major destination to go grab showers and breakfast etc

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pending ching, destinations, breaks, motive power and all that, I'm interested. Going to look at booking that time off anyway, then if if isn't worth doing then either cancel the time off or use it more wisely.

Top Shed

Really sounds an epic adventure, out of interest what traction types are you looking at or hoping to use? Obviously ETH on the night moves would be most welcome in September.
The wife will do her nut when I walk in looking like I have been sat on top of a 12CSVT at full chat for the best part of a week!

theblackwatch

Established Member
No power announced yet, but I'd expect a mix of GBRf traction (66s/73s/92s etc). I wouldn't think ETH is required as there'll probably be a gennyvan to be in the consist.

Devonman2014

No power announced yet, but I'd expect a mix of GBRf traction (66s/73s/92s etc). I wouldn't think ETH is required as there'll probably be a gennyvan to be in the consist.

Don't forget the 47's and hire in 20's as per Noah's Ark tour this year....and although in daytime in August there was no Genny van but we had 2 class 47's in morning so there's nothing to stop an eth 47 dead In train perhaps ??

Is the also any reason a preserved main line registered engine couldn't be on the cards ?

As it is stated an overnight run London to Scotland I put money on it being a 92 with maybe class 73/9 in Scotland as they aren't utilised in daytime as far as I understand it ??

Purely speculation and my personal views.....

Last edited:

captainbigun

That will depend on sleeper commitments. It might be possible to release one of the two depending on maintenance requirements.

Top Shed

Be nice to see Martin's Machine thrown into the mix even if only on 36 pistons instead of 72!
Can the Champion work under GBRF?

Top Shed

Yeh he aught to put some Tulyar plates and 55015 to match the tour!

Only chance of seening 55015 running in 2016!

cambsy

On Moderation
I will book this tour for the full 4 days in first class if not too ridiculously expensive like land cruises or great briton steam tours, my limit would be about 400-500, i have done quite a few 30 hour plus enthusiast tours, tend to resemble a zombie by the end though, a few one hour leg stretches will do me, the longer on the move the better.

cambsy

On Moderation
Having read a bit more about 4 day tour, is the first couple of days having overnight running or will it be case of book hotel or doss out on coach to Oxford etc? hope all days include overnight running.

Warbo44

Definitely up that GBRf 4-day tour myself along with 3 of my mates . A nights stay in London and 1 in Scotland and it's 15 locos in for haulage.

I'm gonna guess, and this is only a big guess that is, it could be some 73's (maybe a couple of new one's) / 66's on the Thursday. 66's on the Friday in East Anglia as others have said 86/87 or 92 on the overnighter to Scotland. Maybe a couple of Caledonian 73's / 66's on the Saturday and an electric/s back to London on the Sunday. Also a chance for some 47's and 20's somewhere maybe on the way back depending on the return route. Don't forget by September the final batch of GBRf class 66's, 66773-779, will have been in the country a few months already by then.

Devonman2014

At the moment with everything being speculation I would imagine surely there's an overnight stop somewhere ....

Would imagine the stock will need servicing, cleaning and not forgetting usually these tours follow straight after a GBRF staff charter....

Plus anyone on the whole 4 days would want a shower, brush teeth, change clothes etc and maybe even a good nights sleep (includes GBRF staff working the train in this statement) ?

Now if they could get 3 sleeper carriages to add overnight - bingo game on !!!

Yes Before I'm shot down I know there's showers on stations but imagine 2-300 people all wanting a shower and brush up at the same time !!!

Here's to see what happens

noddy1878

Established Member
I've booked time off work for this. Authorised today :D Just hope I can get tickets now!

Iskra

Established Member
Wow, looks absolutely fantastic. Great value too! Unfortunately I'm out of the country at the time, or I'd definitely be on this.

Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
Details can be found here http://gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/railtours/sep-8-11th-gbrf-15 including fares and traction

Day 1

London Victoria to London Kings Cross
A circular trip around Sussex, Wessex and the Western Region using a pair of Class 73/1 and a pair of Class 20 Locomotives kindly provided by Harry Needle Railroad Company.
Route Details (provisional)
London Victoria – Factory Jcn – Tulse Hill – Streatham – Tooting – Wimbledon – Raynes Park – Motspur Park – Epsom – Dorking – Horsham – Arundel – Chichester – Havant – Fratton (reverse)
Fratton – Fareham – Netley – Southampton – Brockenhurst – Bournemouth – Corfe Castle/Swanage TBC* (break and reverse)
Corfe Castle/Swanage TBC* - Bournemouth – Southampton – Eastleigh – Romsey – Salisbury – Westbury – Pewsey – Reading – Acton Main Line – Willesden Junction High Level – Gospel Oak – Haringay Park Jcn – Hornsey Signal K440 (reverse)
Hornsey Signal K440 – London Kings Cross

Day 2

Our second day and we take a trip around our traditional stomping ground of Anglia, covering some unusual routes including Whitemoor Yard and taking refurbished Class 73/9 Locomotives to some unusual places.
London Kings Cross – Welwyn Garden City – Stevenage – Hitchin Flyover – Royston – Cambridge – Ely – Whitemoor Yard (reverse)
Whitemoor Yard – Peterborough VQ Lines (reverse)
Peterborough VQ Lines – Ely West Curve – Thetford – Wensum Curve – Acle – Great Yarmouth (break and reverse)
Great Yarmouth – Reedham – Norwich (reverse)
Norwich – Diss – Ipswich – Harwich International (reverse)
Harwich International – Colchester - Stratford

Day 2 overnight

Stratford to Edinburgh Waverley
To cover some distance, we are running overnight to Scotland with traditional AC Electric Traction, kindly provided by the AC Locomotive Group.
Stratford – Canonbury – Finsbury Park – Welwyn Garden City – Stevenage – Huntingdon – Peterborough – Grantham – Newark – Retford – Doncaster – York – Darlington – Newcastle – Morpeth – Berwick – Edinburgh Waverley

Day 3

Edinburgh Waverley to Edinburgh Waverley
But obviously not quite as simple as all that! We head north with a pair of Class 20 locomotives, again kindly provided by Harry Needle Railroad Company, taking the coastal route via Dundee and Aberdeen to Inverness. We then head back to the Scottish Lowlands using a Class 47 locomotive, with thanks to Riviera Trains/Harry Needle. We've also had preliminary special agreement to take the train over the Tay Bridge, something not normally done with more than one locomotive on the front.
Edinburgh Waverley – Inverkeithing – Kirkcaldy – Ladybank – Tay Bridge – Dundee – Aberdeen – Elgin – Inverness (break and reverse)
Inverness – Aviemore – Dalwhinnie – Perth – Stirling – Croy – Springburn – Bellgrove – Shields Jcn (reverse)
Shields Jcn – Bellgrove – Airdrie – Bathgate – Edinburgh Waverley

Day 4

Setting off with a Class 92, heading up the West Coast Main Line and into Liverpool Lime Street, from where we plan to use repatriated 59003 to take the train to Doncaster. From Doncaster we head south with classic AC traction to Wembley Yard from where we will run to our destination of London Paddington with a Class 66 locomotive. There will be a short extension to Reading on the end of the trip which is simply part of the empty move back to Eastleigh for the coaching stock.
Route Details
Edinburgh Waverley – Carstairs – Carlisle – Lancaster – Preston – St Helens – Liverpool Lime Street (reverse)
Liverpool Lime Street – Runcorn – Acton Bridge – Northwich – Altrincham – Stockport – Guide Bridge – Stalybridge – Huddersfield – Wakefield Kirkgate – Knottingley – Askern – Doncaster
Doncaster – Retford – Newark – Grantham – Peterborough – Huntingdon – Stevenage – Welwyn Garden City – Hornsey – Camden Road – Primrose Hill – WEFOC (reverse)
WEFOC – Acton Canal Wharf – Acton Main Line – Castle Bar Park – Park Royal – London Paddington (reverse)
London Paddington – Slough - Reading

yardshunter

Yeah, you won't get that until much nearer the time. Will come by email about 7 days before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.