• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think the use of the old Workington Shed is very unlikely, I believe it was planned to go on the site of the present Council recycling centre i.e. to the NE of the present shed, but the site is still in use and the ground is likely to be heavily contaminated. There have been a lot of new houses built around the GC line in Loughborough and concern about smoke/pollution is an increasing concern, so the present shed location is also getting a bit more "fraught".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyY1951

I agree about the Workington shed, as I am led to understand it is little more than a pile of rubble and scrap metal. However I would have thought the site to the NE would offer a lot of advantages. The attached image is copied from Google Earth. The existing shed is at the bottom, and the recycling centre at the top. There is a lot of 'scrubland' in between, with no adjacent houses or neighbours to annoy. I can see that it might be difficult (i.e. expensive) land to deal with as I believe it was previously used as a tip, but would it be impossible? Otherwise surely it ticks all the boxes?

Andy

Attachments

• GCR.jpg
    GCR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87

mushroomchow

Is the plan above, an impression of what may happen eventually? or is it definite?

Hi @STEVIEBOY1 - it's a very old plan from the early days of the GCRN running trains along the full length of the northern section. It's from a time when "Bridging The Gap" had barely got off the ground - I can't date it exactly, but I believe it's from around the turn of the millennium when the GCR (S) was preoccupied with the double track project.

Looking on Google earth, there aren't any neighbours to be unhappy, although I heard that Network Rail were concerned about smoke obscuring their line! It would be accessed by a line a going to the right once over the canal. I believe the main problem was the poor ground conditions which would mean expensive foundations. I do think this site should be revisited.

I'm savvy to what happened with Charnwood Borough Council - in principle, they're in favour of the new shed, not least as the area around Loughborough shed is bang in the middle of the town and is an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) for Sulphur Dioxide, which would be moved away from residents if the shed was re-sited.

The land is a landfill site, so as has been said, the main obstacle is the dodgy ground and difficultly providing foundations.

The Workington idea seems to have hit the buffers for now, if you'll excuse the pun. The bricks and panels are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but I don't know where. It would probably be cheaper at this point to develop a new-build, as much of a shame as that would be.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the above replies, much appreciated.
With the railway running down the side of the shed in the future meaning some storage space will be lost and also the ever changing (and possibly increasing) traction needs. Is there enough room in and around the current shed for the railways future needs?
Or is it likely that at some point improved facilities will definitely be needed?
Also is there space for some work areas to be moved to other stations? There already seems to be quite a lot happening at the south end of Quorn but I’m not sure what they do there. Is it carriage and wagon work?

AndyY1951

I would have thought there is a good case for a brand-new modern shed building, with all necessary facilities for a state-of-the-art restoration workshop at one end and a running shed at the other. By providing visitor access with overhead viewing galleries it would possibly be more eligible for lottery funding on educational grounds. The existing shed could then be removed and double track plus sidings relaid. Everybody would win, the railway would get better facilities and the local residents would benefit.
I appreciate that the railway has lots on its plate with the 'gap' and museum projects, but a new shed would be an enabler for the gap project, making that much easier to complete.

Andy

AndyY1951

Having just re-read my previous post, I realise I didn't make it clear that the new shed would be sited on the old tip site, in case anybody is confused. Would I be correct in assuming that the tip site is council-owned?

Andy

Mogulb

The tip site would be ideal for a new works and carriage sheds, it is owned by the local council who have always been supportive of the GCR. But it would appear that the obstacles to using it have meant
that it is not an option. As already stated being a disused rubbish tip it will need a lot of remediation and the ground condition are not ideal for building and would need expensive piling. Also the access track work would require a bridge over Hermitage Brook , from memory Ove Arup costed this and the required access embankment at £1.5 millionsome time ago. Rather a lot of money will be required.
Personally I think it should be revisited as an option.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would it be possible in the long term to provide shed facilities at Ruddington?

Related to BrunswickGreens question are a few that I’ve been meaning to ask for a while, I nearly started a new thread on the subject but maybe it’s worth asking here.
They’re a bit complex but people on here are obviously genned up about the two railways so...

What are the eventual plans with the two railways combined?

Are the (completely separate) lines making any plans to work together on upgrading the northern section?

Are there people that are on the boards of both lines and is there a general plan to work together to make what could be the standard gauge preserved line to end all SG preserved lines? Or will they remain entirely separate but with the occasional agreed forays onto each others metals during galas etc?

I suppose the main question is what’s the relationship like between the separate societies?
Nobody wants to see a repeat of what happened when the Welsh Highland was rebuilt with the animosity between the WHLR(1964) and the Ffestiniog.

I only ask this out of curiosity, I think both lines have achieved amazing things, although obviously the GCR has had decades more time to develop than the northern section.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is an interesting article in the October issue of Rail Engineer about the installation of this bridge

I think I read that, did someone link it on here maybe?
It’s a very interesting project and it’s nice to see some true optimism in the (preserved) railway world.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think I read that, did someone link it on here maybe?
It’s a very interesting project and it’s nice to see some true optimism in the (preserved) railway world.
There is a link to the Rail Engineer article on P9 post #251.
Re Cowley's questions
I think there are quite close links between the GCR(N) and the GCR but it may well be that they maintain their separate identity after the "Gap" is closed but obviously timetables etc will be joint. Re the shed, again there is a lot of thought about it and it may well be that Ruddington is used more, but the central location of Lbro is very useful - and there will be more facilities at Leicester North associated with the museum complex.
Quorn has some wagon restoration work going on in the sidings, but it has virtually no power provision or cover. I don't think the local residents would agree to any significant building work/infrastructure. I think various proposals over the years have all been vetoed.

mushroomchow

There are a number of other options along the full route for a substantial engine shed which may also be explored in the medium term.

• Swithland Yard - not somewhere the railway would particularly want to develop as it could detract from it's existing draw as a country junction for charters / photography, but a shed at the northern end could comfortably be accommodated and isn't too close to houses.
  • Gotham Sidings - there was originally a spur here for livestock and pick-up goods - it's pretty far from any particularly large settlement which could make it a good option from an air quality standpoint, but being so out of the way could make getting staff and equipment in tricky and there's likely to be objection to a heavy rail construction in otherwise quiet countryside.
  • Rushcliffe Halt - sizable area off Gotham Lane which could be developed, or alternatively on eastern side pending future development of gypsum works. May be logistically awkward for as long as gypsum trains continue to operate.
  • Leicester North - potential for engineering workshops to be incorporated into the museum outbuildings - this has been discussed, though it's unlikely at this point that these will extend to locomotive servicing.
Ideally, the shed needs to be south of the Midland Mainline due to the operational restrictions associated with the Loughborough - East Leake section, though an agreement for more flexible operation will no doubt be forthcoming following reunification.

As others have alluded to, Quorn is a no-go as it's the railway's main "events" station and the open yard is very important for that fact. It's also where most loading / unloading of vehicles takes place - something that it's hoped will be less important when the gap is bridged and a mainline connection made available, but which will still need to happen regularly for the foreseeable future. I think we've seen the ultimate extent of developments there now, save for some minor extensions to the yard sidings where possible and perhaps some basic cover for the wagons in the southern sidings.

It should also be noted that these suggestions are for the most part volunteer hearsay and don't represent any solid proposals as yet. Of the four mentioned, I think Rushcliffe Halt would be the best option in a world in which the GCR / GCRN have full operational freedom, given the ample space available and industrial surroundings minimising residential impact, but Swithland Sidings is probably the best option from a logistical standpoint being as it is on the southern section and having significant infrastructure and staff access already in place.

Final and most important point - the current siting of the shed has enough space on its western side for two tracks to be laid, apparently (subject to the movement of the storage vans currently there.) I'm sceptical of that claim having walked down there a number of times, but a running line can definitely be accommodated, with a view to eventually relegating it to a siding or passing loop upon a new shed being built and the original alignment restored. If two lines can be squeezed in, that vastly reduces the urgency of moving the existing Locomotive Works.

Last edited:

AndyY1951

Regarding the area of land between the canal and the recycling centre/Midland Main Line, does anyone know how much of it was previously occupied by the waste tip? It's a big area, with the Hermitage Brook wandering through it just as shown on old maps, so I can't believe it was all a tip. Doubtless also considered to be a 'flood plain', but does the brook ever burst its banks?

Andy

mushroomchow

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7747984,-1.1928662,483m/data=!3m1!1e3

A little look at that should hopefully answer your question, @AndyY1951 - pretty much the whole of the visibly "landscaped" area within the tree line is landfill. The area directly surrounding Hermitage Brook floods regularly, hence why the site was not extended beyond the footprint you see - the whole surrounding area is floodplain for the River Soar which has prevented Loughborough developing much at all beyond the Grand Union Canal banks.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Learning lots on here guys. Very interesting

pappleby

just wondering, what will be the layout of signalling, and who will control the movements, and from where. will it be colour lights or semaphore.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Pappleby
I think the signalling for the gap project will be controlled by the existing Loughborough signal box and will be semaphore. However further North, I believe colour lights will be/are used.
The North abutment blue bricks are nearly at the top of the concrete and the end two bridge decks are ready for installation. There are also two stacks of steel panels which will be attached to the stanchions on the bridge. The brick work on the South abutment is also getting near halfway.DSCF7339.JPG DSCF7340.JPG

mcmad

Looks like its sitting on its permanent bearings. In a steel deck like that you need to allow for the expansion and contraction of the steel so it is usual to sit one end on a roller bearing and the other a fixed.

AndyY1951

OK, that makes sense, but something still puzzles me. It was clearly high enough over the working railway before it was raised, and now it's even higher. Unless the extra height is to provide clearance for electrification in the future but not needed over the last few weeks.

Andy

Flying Phil

Established Member
I had not noticed the extra height before, but comparing images from two weeks ago, it is quite clear. Those supports being inserted must be why the two end decking sections have not yet been installed, and why there is that blue steel section across the top of the girders on the South end.

Tomnick

Established Member
Final and most important point - the current siting of the shed has enough space on its western side for two tracks to be laid, apparently (subject to the movement of the storage vans currently there.) I'm sceptical of that claim having walked down there a number of times, but a running line can definitely be accommodated, with a view to eventually relegating it to a siding or passing loop upon a new shed being built and the original alignment restored. If two lines can be squeezed in, that vastly reduces the urgency of moving the existing Locomotive Works.
I wouldn't say "vastly". Whether it's a single line down the side of the shed or two running lines (the latter far preferable from an operational point of view), the shed would lose the majority of their car parking, some staff accommodation, a lot of their storage space and a huge amount of flexibility in road access for deliveries etc. (I'd imagine that some sort of key-locked, released from the signal box, crossing would be required, with little or no space for manoeuvring clear of the loco sidings). I can't see that being a workable solution for long.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I was at Lbro on Saturday and the brickwork on the North abutment is about finished and the South is getting higher.DSCF7346.JPG
I don't know whether there will be some sort of "Wing walls" to link the abutments to the embankments?

AndyY1951

From the schemes that have been published, on the L'boro side the bridge will continue as a viaduct past Preci-Spark and over Railway Terrace before it becomes an embankment to the Canal Bridge, so no wing-walls on this side at least?

jamescr

Without turning this into a discussion of the use of drones near mainlines, this was a suggested video on youtube for me:

provides a different view to a lot of what we've seen (and to reiterate, not my video! :lol:)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for that James - it certainly puts the project into perspective - and the music was great as well! Video taken around Oct 11th I think.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow.
That’s a great overview, thanks for posting that James.
You can really see how tight things will be around the shed area too.

Flying Phil

Established Member
No change on the North abutment yesterday, but the South abutment brickwork is still creeping up.DSCF7358.JPG