• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCSE Science Module Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdjonnay

Pfft, they're easy peasy. Life gets hard when you're trying to fund running a sports bike and a car at 17 on a part time wage and juggling A levels and college at the same time :| :lol:

Nowt wrong with having girl mates either, the stupid attitude that kids in school adopt goes away once you reach a certain age. I knock round with a few laddets along with the lads, and we have a good laugh.

Jon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

the slapper

GCSEs are quite hard actually, at least when you get to a-levels you've got nowt of that pish of doing stuff that you dont wana. Thats what its like for me, im doing subjects that I enjoy, and not having to do nosence like english, DT, and 2 most annoying of all....PSHE and RE!!!

Tom B

Established Member
PSHE / RE is actually continued in the sixth form by law. Some people might be taking A levels they don't particularly want to take, but are doing it because they need the subject to get into university.

Muppet

dvn1357 said:
Please tell me you are joking! I have wanted to drop them since year 7! :mad:

i get to drop my R.E this year :D

dont know what i will take over that slot?

and to be honest i haven't got the best grades in it

Tom B

Established Member
In A levels you indeed have to do RE type stuff (mortality) as part of the general studies course - so it's like studying it for an exam (though noone takes GS seriously, not even universities), and also PSHE/Citizenship.

Jonno2055

I'm doing my GCSE mocks this week and next

I find RE very hard especially culture and beliefs, I hate it.

I've done my GCSE mocks, they were pretty easy in retrospect. I passed them all with A* to C except Physics were i got a D

Andrew

Cockfosters said:
In A levels you indeed have to do RE type stuff (mortality) as part of the general studies course - so it's like studying it for an exam (though noone takes GS seriously, not even universities), and also PSHE/Citizenship.
But General Studies isn't always compulsory. I don't do it - where I am if you do 5 subjects at AS you don't end up doing General Studies (also if you do French you don't have to - that being a timetable glitch rather than intentional though).

jdjonnay

Cockfosters said:

Errrrrm, maybe true, but you DON'T have to do general studies. Well, nobody I know has HAD to do it anyway, I certainly don't :D

That goes for mates in colleges across the SW, not just my particular 6th form.

Tom B

Established Member
Now you're making me jealous :( We all have to do it here (and most other schools in this area as far as I know *sigh*). They have general studies as a seperate thing to all the other blocks, the whole school does it and you're in form groups rather than option groups. Pretty pointless exercise, half the teachers can't be bothered to do it so we just get to do nothing.

Nitro

We also have to do it and its also in form groups and just like you said most teachers can't be bothered except senior teachers. We get to watch some kind of video if we'r lucky althought it usually 'related' to the 'work'.

We have to do General Studies. End Of. No choice in the matter. According to teachers it was a compulsory Sixth Form subject laid down by the Government..apparently not.

My General Studies syllabus..when i start sixth form that is:

AS-Year 12

Unit 1: Culture, Morality, Arts and Humanites
Unit 2: Science, Mathmatics and Technology
Unit 3: Society, Politics and the Economy

A2-Year 13

Unit 4: Culture, Morality, Arts and Humanities (inc Foreign Lang)
Unit 5: Science, Mathmatics and Technology
Unit 6: Society, Politics and the Economy.

So really in a way..you think you get to drop the subjects you dont like in Sixth Form....but really, you cover all of them anyway in General Studies.. just not as intensive.

Tom B

Established Member
Mmm - The Simpsons has been linked to morality before. How, I don't know! (I think I was the only one who found that lesson deadly boring)

Tom B

Established Member
Though looking at some of the past papers, the questions are so easy I'm surprised people need lessons to do them!

Isnt it just recapping what you already know to keep the Education board happy that you are learning everything.

Tom B

Established Member
There is some new stuff - on politics for example - but if anyone doesnt' know any of that stuff already then they deserve to fail!

Can't blame em. Politics is really boring. who actually wants to learn about tony blair or prescott. Not passing Politics isnt really going to make much difference.

Tom B

Established Member
It's not learning about Blair, Prescott, Cameron, Cambell, Martin or any individual politician - it's about the political processes, parliament etc.

same thing really..its all boring. All i need to know is what box to tick when the general election comes around thats all.

Tom B

Established Member
Which you won't know unless you have some knowledge of politics!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm doing Politics AS, - it's a really enjoyable course IMO, but maybe that's down to the teacher, he really brings the lessons alive, and I like him too as he's strict on timekeeping :)

I'm doing 4 AS Levels currently, and next year I have to do 3 A Levels, plus another AS. I get to choose all of them, and don't do General Studies. My college makes you do Certificate Theology for 45mins once a week, and it's something I really enjoy :)

But at my old school we had this odd 30min session which was basically a messaround, but was actually supposed to be PHSE, I enjoyed it though as it was an extra long chatting sesh for me :D and toward the end of Yr 11 we didn't do anything, just used it for talking or revising.

metrocammel

Ive got my gcse's this year... but Im keeping really chilled about them. I am in a very small class at my school (well they call it a college- but it is a school) with only 9 people in it, the whole year having less than 30 people. It is very good... and quite close knit, but my class mates (who are rather too studious for my liking) say that I am "too chilled out" regarding the GCSE, and if I dont start revising, I'll do awfully. However, I was rather pleased when, I got my mock results back to find (other than in Maths) I got very high grades. I was particularly pleased with my geography, where I got an A overall, despite not doing any revision whatsoever... though I put the UK paper bit of that down to the amount I travel over the country on trains, which you do actually learn alot about the locations of places (ie Power Stations, Factories , roads etc)

My place of learning also doesnt bother with PSE (Cockfosters- Are you sure this is compulsary as Ive only had it in one of my schools - in the first year- though perhaps as they were private, it is not compulsary??) and RE is an option, which I dont do. Im doing: BaCS (IT & Business Studies), 3 sep Sciences , Geography, French + maths (though Id love it if I could drop this !!) & Eng lit & lang.

I personally think over the last years (looking at old GCSE papers) they have got easier. So I'm not going to complain about having a hard time. And as for the stories you hear about people hanging themselves etc cause the stress of GCSE's has got too much.... that seems ridiculous... though I suppose other factors may affect there state of mind as well.

Tom B

Established Member
I don't know the exact criteria apart from that there's an obligation to provide some sort of PSHE education. Though as has been said it's generally not taken seriously by anyone.

Ach. GCSEs. I wouldn't say they've got harder, but neither would I say they've got easier. They've changed... instead of long exams where you have to know about the subject you have to do dull and boring coursework which doesn't result in you learning everything as teachers guide you through most of it. For the sort of person who doesn't want to learn much but enjoys writing a load of stuff which a 2 year old would find intellectually insulting in order to gain marks, they're fine. For someone who knows lots about the subject but doesn't know about doing a snazzy bit of writing about something, they're worse. There's also the culture with staff that "x happens, we're not going in to why because it's not on the bible / syllabus, so just remember that it happens". How on earth is one meant to learn like that?

As for Maths - GCSE is pretty stupid, they've put in so many silly questions and taken lots of stuff off. So when you come to A levels there's stuff which 10 years ago was GCSE and is easy (differentiation / integration, more stuff on quadratics etc). Then they take stuff off A levels... and so on.

RJ

Established Member
It's almost time again... We have another module test next Wednesday. I'm going to ace it :)

Tom B

Established Member
Hmm, anyone know anything about Kirchoff's laws?

Nick

Aye - we have to do it in Electronics....and then again in Maths Physics

Simming

Name rings a bell, but out og my as levels, maths and physics are the 2 that im doing the worst in.

Physics especially is harder, not helped by a rubbesh teacher at GCSE level.

Geography is pretty much the same as GCSE standard, except you just go into thing at a bit more detail. Geology just a breeze. everything is new os its alot easier to learn the stuff

Mushroom

Im gonna have to drop Physics after AS Level. Its getting too mathsy for me (i only got a gcse c in maths).

Good luck to everyone with exams in the coming weeks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.