• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
I Asked What Other €olour Would You Like To Have The Number For, And Which Would You Like?

A Challenge

Established Member
Well done! I hadn't expected the ‎€ to give it away, but what colour did you want, DaleCooper, it is your floor.

Glad to see it is a good question!

TheEdge

Established Member
Lets start with guesses. They all had the same bloke, I shall call him Archibald Jones, who wrote or designed them.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ah, good old Archie Jones, whatever happened to him?

I like guesses even when they're wrong; they're entertaining and keep things moving along.

TheEdge

Established Member
Well Monopoly was originally designed to prove how bad monopolies were but has become the very opposite.

Was there a WW2 aircraft designed solely to disprove a system but backfired?

And a Fleetwood Mac song expected to be awful but turned out good.

DaleCooper

Established Member
All developed on 442s parked up at Newhaven Marine

No

Well Monopoly was originally designed to prove how bad monopolies were but has become the very opposite.

Was there a WW2 aircraft designed solely to disprove a system but backfired?

And a Fleetwood Mac song expected to be awful but turned out good.

All the work of Archie I suppose, poor old boy couldn't do anything right. That's probably why he sank into obscurity.

Actually I suppose tusk tusk tusk would have been better

That's what I thought.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Guesses have dried up, probably too much beer and pretzels.

Here's some help:

What do these have in common?

a WW2 experimental aircraft - unusual wings
a Fleetwood Mac song - recorded after Peter Green left
a board game - played on a chequered board

TheEdge

Established Member
Well when it comes to WWII experimental aircraft unusual wings covers most of them, the oddest probably being the Vought V-173 Flying Pancake but I can't make it fit! :(

Mvann

Pressumebly there was an experimental aircraft called tusk, fleetwood mac had a record called tusk and there is a board game called tusk. There is also another board game called tusk that is referred to as a beer and pretzel game

DaleCooper

Established Member
Pressumebly there was an experimental aircraft called tusk, fleetwood mac had a record called tusk and there is a board game called tusk. There is also another board game called tusk that is referred to as a beer and pretzel game

Two out of three ain't bad but I don't know of an aircraft named "Tusk", as a matter of fact I didn't know there was a board game called "Tusk" and anyway it doesn't appear to use a chequered board..

Mvann

There is something to do with experimental planes that mentions tusk as it is mentioned in an article about world war 2 airforce history. Can't open PDF to read it properly. I just assumed it was the name of the aircraft. It was the only one of the three I wasn't sure on

DaleCooper

Established Member
Here's some more help:

What do these have in common?

a WW2 experimental aircraft - unusual wings - one of the lesser known UK manufacturers
a Fleetwood Mac song - recorded after Peter Green left - lyrics based on a poem from 1927
a board game - played on a chequered board - can also be played on board with hexagonal divisions

TheEdge

Established Member
Well its been a while so I think some internet based research is reasonable at this point.

Dragonfly.

Miles M.39B Libellula, a type of dragonfly. Fleetwood Mac song and board game Dragonfly.

fowler9

Established Member
Well its been a while so I think some internet based research is reasonable at this point.

Dragonfly.

Miles M.39B Libellula, a type of dragonfly. Fleetwood Mac song and board game Dragonfly.

If that is right then well done even using internet research. Ha ha.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If that is right then well done even using internet research. Ha ha.

Absolutely. The Edge has shown intelligence and commitment, I've had a few beers tonight and I don't have either. :)

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member

Absolutely reasonable, in fact it was the kind of question that is more about "finding out" than "knowing".

Dragonfly.

All correct, I hope that was educational. In recognition of your hard work a lamppost has been named after you.

Attachments

• The Edge.png
    The Edge.png
    780.6 KB · Views: 23

TheEdge

Established Member
I shall take the lamppost and love it.

4017, 4201, 4030.

What completes the sequence?

To save time and pointless guesses this isn't a maths thing so get x + 12/(x+8) out of your heads...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
24 hours, time for a clue. To extend the sequence backwards a lot...

Comet, 4007, 4011, 4012, 4015...

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I shall take the lamppost and love it.

4017, 4201, 4030.

What completes the sequence?

To save time and pointless guesses this isn't a maths thing so get x + 12/(x+8) out of your heads...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
24 hours, time for a clue. To extend the sequence backwards a lot...

Comet, 4007, 4011, 4012, 4015...

*raises hand to ask point of order*

Is this referring to the Comet airliner or the astronomical Comet?