• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

DaleCooper

Established Member
To help everyone I've done the research on release dates but the times of year are all over the place:

Steptoe & Son - Jan 1972
Steptoe & Son Ride Again - Jul 1973
Porridge (Doing Time) - Aug 1979
Sweeney! - Jan 1977
Sweeney 2 - Apr 1978
Are You Being Served - Jun 1977

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
To help everyone I've done the research on release dates but the times of year are all over the place:

Steptoe & Son - Jan 1972
Steptoe & Son Ride Again - Jul 1973
Porridge (Doing Time) - Aug 1979
Sweeney! - Jan 1977
Sweeney 2 - Apr 1978
Are You Being Served - Jun 1977

There were a lot more than that- the Sweeney films were a bit of an exception as they weren't really aimed at a family audience (The late Linda Bellinghams 'performance' will stir memories in men of a certain age)

The first Steptoe one was again quite a hard hitting movie, not family friendly & wasn't well received so the second one was much lighter.

Ok so most of the sitcom ones were released (or often released in the summer)

So what used to happen in most crummy British seaside bording houses after breakfast....

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ah, of course .... at that time, in most British seaside boarding houses, you were thrown out after breakfast and not allowed back in until teatime.

So, if it was raining, what did you do? Well, you went to the cinema! Am I right?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Spot on. No daytime tv of course (& besides I don't remember seeing a tv in a UK B & B room until well into the 80's)

Not everyone could get into a show (or afford it) so what else could you do on a wet day between being chucked out after breakfast & let back in for 'high tea'

Thats why most were put on during summer for this massive market.

Your flea pit.

DaleCooper

Established Member
This is a fun question so don't get too hung up about precise definitions, although the answer I have does come from an authoritative source; something in the vicinity of that answer will be accepted.

What is the weight of an average cumulus cloud?

fowler9

Established Member
This is a fun question so don't get too hung up about precise definitions, although the answer I have does come from an authoritative source; something in the vicinity of that answer will be accepted.

Nothing? Weight is different from mass? You could calculate its mass but you couldn't weigh it.

Last edited:

t_star2001uk

According to scientists, the weight of the average cumulus cloud is 1.1 million pounds!

DaleCooper

Established Member
According to scientists, the weight of the average cumulus cloud is 1.1 million pounds!

Your googling skill, which I have been observing for some time, never ceases to amaze me. Yes 500,000kg or 1.1 million pounds is the answer.

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercycleatmosphere.html

We're only going to look at the weight of the actual cloud particles, and realize different clouds have varying densities of cloud particles (and, thus, different weights). Let's use your basic "everyday" cloud—the cumulus cloud with a volume of about 1 cubic kilometer (km) (0.62 miles) located about 2 km (1.2 miles) above the ground. In other words, it is a cube about 1 km (0.24 cubic miiles) on each side. One measurement (http://snowball.millersville.edu/~adecaria/ESCI340/esci340_cp_lesson01_cloud_properties.pdf) of cumulus-cloud density is about 0.5 gram per cubic meter. A 1 km3 cloud contains 1 billion cubic meters.
Doing the math: 1,000,000,000 x 0.5 = 500,000,000 grams of water droplets in our cloud. That is about 500,000 kilograms or 1.1 million pounds (about 551 tons). But, that "heavy" cloud is floating over your head because the air below it is even heavier— the lesser density of the cloud allows it to float on the dryer and more-dense air.
Perhaps you'd like to use that skill to set a question for a change.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Lets try to flummox the Google brigade

What links the Greek Underworld, Ludlow, Maastricht and a sub-range of the European Alps?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Lets try to flummox the Google brigade

What links the Greek Underworld, Ludlow, Maastricht and a sub-range of the European Alps?

Could it be something as simple as... and you could also link a Robert Redford film ?

ComUtoR

Established Member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105265/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_41

The Maclean brothers, Paul and Norman, live a relatively idyllic life in rural Montana, spending much of their time fly fishing. The sons of a minister, the boys eventually part company when Norman moves east to attend college, leaving his rebellious brother to find trouble back home. When Norman finally returns, the siblings resume their fishing outings, and assess both where they've been and where they're going.

A River runs through it.

Greek Underworld - Styx
Maastrict - Meuse

Ludlow and The Alps I'm taking a punt on but I suspect its rivers going through them.

TheEdge

Established Member
I suppose technically rivers run through Ludlow (Teme and Corve) and Alps (many) but the answer I'm looking for is much more specific.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm going to try lateral thinking,and opine that it's all about caves-and-underground-stuff.

(1) the Greek underworld -- obviously, underground

(2) your Ludlow isn't the one in Shropshire; but Ludlow in the desert south of California: near which is the Pisgah Crater in the Lava Lake volcanic field -- which features lava tubes, much resorted to by cavers

(3) underneath the city of Maastricht, is an intricate system of caves

(4) the Austrian Limestone Alps in central / south Austria: karst country, with lots of caves / fissures / sink-holes

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Is it anything to do with hiding art treasures underground.

I know some of the Netherlands most important art treasures were hidden under Maastrict & the national gallery sent parts of the collection to castles aways from London.

Did the Greeks do similar & were some hidden in the extensive karst caves of the Austrian/ Slovenian alps?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is it the internet phrase OMG ?

As in OMG there's Hades (literally a God)
OMG aren't these Alps huge
OMG isn't Maastrict a beautiful city

and

OMG I'm in Ludlow.

J/K

Is it Mountains ?

TheEdge

Established Member
All still wrong but those making mountainous and geographic connections are closer. Clue time, the sub-range in question is the Jura Mountains.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I was thinking of Jura in the following context:

Hades Island - Ontario, Canada
Isle of Jura - Scotland
Ludlow's Island - Minnesota, USA

Surely there must be a Maastricht Island somewhere in this vast universe, it just hasn't been discovered yet.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is it that the 'Mountains' in each region are not technically mountains.

TheEdge

Established Member
I know almost nothing about geology -- but -- geological eras? Stygian, Ludlovian, Maastrichtian, and Jurassic??

We have (near enough) a winner. They have all (and countless others places and things) have lent their names to official periods in the geological time scale.

Hadean Eon, Ludlow epoch, Maastrichtian age and Jurassic period

ComUtoR

Established Member
Point of order about the Underworld......

J/K Good Question. :)