• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Calthrop

Established Member
We have (near enough) a winner. They have all (and countless others places and things) have lent their names to official periods in the geological time scale.

Hadean Eon, Ludlow epoch, Maastrichtian age and Jurassic period

If this means the next go is potentially mine -- open floor, please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
This is a question that is easily answered by Googling, but is an interesting bit of trivia nonetheless.

Llandudno has recently received a new lifeboat station. The original lifeboat station was built (in the 1860s) almost half a mile from the coast. Why was it built there?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Has there been coastal works since the station was opened meaning that the site used to be on the coast but now isn't?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Llandudno is on a thin peninsula so I guess it was in the middle of the two beaches.

Bingo! theageofthetra wind today's geography prize.

The lifeboat station was positioned more-or-less halfway between the two shores. (Back in the 1860s lifeboats were rowed by hand, so I gather they'd want to launch from the most favourable shore depending on wind and sea conditions.) It's taken until now to get the station relocated, partially because hotel owners on the promenade didn't want anything to spoil the view.

The slipway is yours...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Did Mark Zuckerberg and the actor who played Darth Vader (I can't remember his name!) go the same school or university?

fowler9

Established Member
Did Mark Zuckerberg strangle a soldier against a wall and then threaten a female diplomat? Are they both Trump?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Nope not that. Ok the answer I was looking for is 'The'. Both Facebook & Star Wars were originally preceeded by 'The' but was thought superfluous so was dropped.

Open floor.

Darth Vader was a character in Star Wars not its creator. What you probably meant was "What connects Mark Zuckerberg and George Lucas?".