• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Verse in full, if I have it rightly:

"Clunton, Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun
Are the quietest places under the sun."

(There's a variation according to which, it's "booziest".)

martinsh

Established Member
Verse in full, if I have it rightly:

"Clunton, Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun
Are the quietest places under the sun."

(There's a variation according to which, it's "booziest".)
That is correct.

Don't know about "booziest" as I've never been drinking there, but I have a friend who is going to stay there next week ...

Calthrop

Established Member
My floor, I take it.

Supposing you should want a pet sloth: each of the present-day two zoological families of these creatures has, concerning this issue, both "pro" and "con" factors. Please identify the two families, and outline the respective advantages and disadvantages.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint (kind-of): sloths of one of the two families, are nicer for humans to be around, than those of the other -- but there's a downside. (And an upside re the not-so-nice sort.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Seemingly no participants in RailUKForums' General Knowledge Quiz, are impassioned slothologists. I'm about to be away and mostly off the Internet "grid" for nearly a month: so will give the answer. Species in the "three-toed" family of sloths are gentle and placid, but tend not to do well in captivity. Those of the "two-toed" family tend to be stroppy and aggressive, and can easily give their handler a nasty bite; but they cope better, with "life with us, not in the wild" -- most sloths in captivity, are of the two-toed kind.

Open floor.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How does one get from London to Toronto in about an hour?
Hmm. There’s a village in County Durham called Toronto.
Could you fly to somewhere near there and get a taxi to the village itself within an hour?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, let's try to bring this back to life.

Five US Presidents served in either the Confederate or the Union armies during the American Civil War. Can you name them and, for a bonus, say when they were President?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Okay, let's try to bring this back to life.

Five US Presidents served in either the Confederate or the Union armies during the American Civil War. Can you name them and, for a bonus, say when they were President?
There's more than five.

All these served in some capacity during the war between the states (as the South prefer to call it)

Lincoln- Commander in chief
Grant
Filmore
Johnson
Hayes
Garfield
Arthur
Harrison
Mckinley

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There's more than five.

All these served in some capacity during the war between the states (as the South prefer to call it)

Lincoln- Commander in chief
Grant
Filmore
Johnson
Hayes
Garfield
Arthur
Harrison
Mckinley

My information (which I can't now find) just said that it was five, but all of those are on your list, so yes, you're right!

It's your invitation to host the Inauguration Ball, sir!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Keeping the US theme- Other than being Native American tribes what connect the Choctaw , Cherokee & Creek nations?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Were they native trackers for the Confederate side?

(If not, were they native trackers for the Union side?)!!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
They fought for the Confederacy (soon got disillusioned when they failed to provide weapons and equipment). But why that side?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
At the risk of being controversial (And this in no way mirrors my views) they didn't mind slavery? It is a guess.
Nothing controversial about historical truth.

Correct. Native American tribes had kept slaves (often women) captured from rival tribes during tribal battles for centuries.

Not wishing to lose out those based in the south offered support to the Confederate cause but didn't get integrated into their forces properly and were not given proper equipment.

Had this happened the outcome of the Civil War may well have been different.

Your floor.