• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
I only wanted the letters, but that is not correct. I mean Transport Medium, not Transport Heavy if that is what that is

A Challenge

Established Member
Time for the answer then:
There are 7 letters (and the ten numbers and two round brackets) as only A, B, E, M, N, S and W are used, as Transport Medium is only used for road numbers (and the directions the go in some places, hence the letters) on motorway signs. Place names, and also road numbers on non-motorway signs are in Transport Heavy, which I alluded to in my last post.

OPEN FLOOR

Calthrop

Established Member
Might I submit an essentially general-knowledge one with a slight railway flavour?

About a century ago, there was a bunch of practitioners of, in the broad sense, one of the arts, who -- sharing inspiration etc. -- lived in and around a small town served by a -- now long closed -- Great Western branch line. A couple of them perished in World War I. What was the town; and which of the arts, was these folks' "thing"? "Virtual bonus points" for the names of any of them.

martinsh

Established Member
Might I submit an essentially general-knowledge one with a slight railway flavour?

About a century ago, there was a bunch of practitioners of, in the broad sense, one of the arts, who -- sharing inspiration etc. -- lived in and around a small town served by a -- now long closed -- Great Western branch line. A couple of them perished in World War I. What was the town; and which of the arts, was these folks' "thing"? "Virtual bonus points" for the names of any of them.

You mean the Dymock Poets.

Lascelles Amercrombie
Wilfred Wilson Gibson
Edward Thomas
Robert Frost
and others whose names I don't remember

Calthrop

Established Member
That was them -- Rupert Brooke also counted among them, though I suspect he was a bit "part-time"; he and Thomas, killed in the First World War.

Your ode or elegy, to submit !

deltic1989

Established Member
I'm just going to stab in the dark here. Not really because of any knowledge of trolleybuses but more based on the clues.

Prague?

deltic1989

Established Member
Oh Wow! I wasn't expecting to be correct, given that I was working from geographical clues, rather than any type of knowledge.
I therefore will throw the floor open as I haven't any question ideas at present.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve got one then, and it’s related to what’s stated in the Guiness Book of Records:

What links Bishop Rock (part of the Isles of Scilly) and Greenland?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Smallest and largest islands?
Indeed they are the smallest and largest inhabited islands according to the book.
I’m assuming that was what Marton was saying with his answer, but yours had the detail I was looking for. Over to you.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll take this if I may ... here's some anniversaries, births and deaths for you to identify, please:

1. The man who gave his name to a popular cricket book was born today - who, and when?
2. The death was announced of a Second World War fighter ace with a particular problem - who, and when?
3. Today is the birthday (born 1935) of a former soap actor also "famous" for a small part in 633 Squadron - who, and what allegedly ended his small part in the film?
4. Today is the birthday (born 1969) of a former Middlesex cricketer who proved himself to be a nifty mover on a different surface - who, and where?
5. Which road tunnel opened today in 1980, and what distinction did it hold at the time?
6. Which play closed today in 1987, and (within 250) after how many performances?

Best of luck!