• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If you are referring to those who signed the letter that was sent by Henry Sydney and subsequently received by William III, the Prince of Orange on 30th June 1688, I will say:-

The Earl of Devonshire
The Earl of Shrewsbury
The Earl of Danby
The Bishop of London
Viscount Lumley
Edward Russell
Henry Sydney

D6975

Established Member
It's worth noting that the USA didn't have an official language until really recently.
It was only in 2006 that they finally adopted English as their official language, and even then it was a highly contentious matter and nearly didn't happen.

Golghar

Could this have anything to do with baseball? I know there is a team called the St.Louis Cardinals and one called the Los Angeles Angels and this seems to refer to a transfer though I don't have a clue which person is involved.

Seacook

Could this have anything to do with baseball? I know there is a team called the St.Louis Cardinals and one called the Los Angeles Angels and this seems to refer to a transfer though I don't have a clue which person is involved.

Quite so, Albert Pujols signed with the Angels as a free agent. Over to you.

If you translate the name of his new team it reads the The Angels Angels.

So far, he has not played for the San Diego Padres.

Golghar

As I shan't have a chance to log in till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest I call an open floor.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
OK, try this:-

What, according to the Hebraic Tradition, made Joseph's brothers angry and jealous of the coat his father Jacob had made for him?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
His brothers were jealous of Joseph over the gift of this coat by his father Jacob, which was given in celebration of fathering his youngest son in the time of his old age. The brothers saw the gift of this coat as a token that Jacob had done this to enable Joseph as his youngest son to assume the leadership of the family when the brothers expected it should have been one of the older sons assuming this role.

Welshman

Established Member
His brothers were jealous of Joseph over the gift of this coat by his father Jacob, which was given in celebration of fathering his youngest son in the time of his old age. The brothers saw the gift of this coat as a token that Jacob had done this to enable Joseph as his youngest son to assume the leadership of the family when the brothers expected it should have been one of the older sons assuming this role.

Yes - you've certainly got the gist of it.

But what was the significant thing about the coat which made the brothers think Jacob intended Joseph to assume the leadership?

Welshman

Established Member
Yes, the Authorised Version says it was a coloured coat, and other versions say it was a long-sleeved coat.

Either way, it signifies a coat intended to be worn by an overlooker, or a foreman - a member of the ruling classes rather than the working classes, and this made the brothers jealous that the last-born was to assume authority over them, thus reversing the socially-accepted order.

So Paul Sidorczuk got the gist of the grievance, and deltic1989 answered the specific detail re the coat. They are both right, and I shall refrain from trying to make a judgment of Solomon, and suggest they agree amongst themselves as to who is to set the next question.

deltic1989

Established Member
I shall step aside and allow Paul to set the next question. As I am very limited on time at the moment.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Its well below sea level. And had some scrolls.

It would be pedantic and "nit-picking" if I let this continue, so I will give the full answer as being .... "This area is the lowest exposed land mass on Earth." (Ignore any areas covered by ice that are also below sea level, as the ice on them is responsible for that factor)

Please set the next one.