• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mvann gets it, hash browns is correct.

I was researching this for a talk a couple of years ago (about the Great British breakfast, not hash browns, I'm not that boring). Hash browns are only mentioned in the press pre-1982 as an American curiosity, requiring description/explanation. McDonald introduced their breakfast, with hash, in 1982, and McCain's began advertising frozen hash browns around the same time. I'm unclear whether the success of McD spurred McCaininto launching hash browns in the UK or vice-versa, or, as was sort-of suggested outbreaks, McCain supplied the hash browns to McD. I spoke to both their PR offices, but they tend to be cagey about that sort of thing. Anyway...

Your floor, Mvann

MotCO

Established Member
Sticking with a culinary theme, please name the two presenters who presented the original Masterchef series (before Gregg Wallace and John Torode)?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Yes it was the late Gary Rhodes.

Please don your toque, and take command of the kitchen.

Thanks. Keeping on the culinary theme, which sweets were particularly popular in the 1940s because they only needed one ration token rather than two?

Gloster

Established Member
These should really have appeared about a fortnight ago:

What was unusual about the 1997 Grand National?

How do The Chair and The Water Jump differ from the other fences?

How many 100/1 (Starting Price) winners have there been?

Where was the Grand National run 1916-1918? (Not all sources regard it as a true Grand National.)

Something closely connected to the 1952 Grand National caused much hilarity and some embarrassment. What?

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
1997 - run on the Monday following a bomb scare

chair & water jump - only fences only jumped once

others - no idea

AndyPJG

Where was the Grand National run 1916-1918? (Not all sources regard it as a true Grand National.)

Something closely connected to the 1952 Grand National caused much hilarity and some embarrassment. What?

WW1 - Gatwick Racecourse