• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
"Something closely connected to the 1952 Grand National caused much hilarity and some embarrassment. What?"

Did the jockey split his trousers?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Some sort of a protest outside the ground?

One of the commentators made a comment which whilst it was funny at the time, caused a problem later?

SteveM70

Established Member
A horse had a name that was similar to a profanity and the commentator got mixed up and said something rude?

Gloster

Established Member
Must have been a Dimbleby? Or Prince Philip?
Sorry, no.

I will give it another couple of hours before declaring race over.

The question about the 100/1 winners is still open, but I will give a peculiar mathematical clue. If you divide the number of jumps needed to complete the National by the number one greater than the required answer, you get the answer.

I can’t go much further with the 1952 question other than to say that extreme ineptitude was widely heard.

SteveM70

Established Member
Commentator got the wrong winner?

And there are 30 jumps on the course so presumably 5 x 100/1 winners?

xotGD

Established Member
Did the commentator get over excited because they were the owner of the winner?

Gloster

Established Member
Did the commentator get over excited because they were the owner of the winner?
No. Sorry.

The answer is that in 1952 Mirabel Topham, the owner of Aintree, got into dispute with the BBC. She arranged for friends to give the commentary which the BBC, probably reluctantly and possibly under pressure from above, broadcast to the nation. The commentary was quite extraordinarily inept, with the commentators being confused, garbled and wrong. Most famously they gave out that Teal fell at the first fence, when it got through and won. It used to be broadcast occasionally, at least in part, and was a joy to listen to.

It was in 1956 that Devon Loch, the Queen Mother’s horse, spreadeagled itself just short of the winning post when well ahead of the field and failed to finish. The jockey was a chap called Dick Francis. I wonder what happened to him?

The tic-tac man tells me that Steve M70 has three correct and should set the next question.

SteveM70

Established Member
Some questions about Monopoly:

1 - why were the four stations in the game chosen?

2 - which two of the coloured properties (ie excluding water works and electric company) are mis-named?

3 - which is the only property south of the Thames?

4 - what three elements of the original US board persist on the UK version?

5 - there’s apparently (in normal times) a “Monopoly pub crawl”. Which property needs a substitute because it has no pubs in real life, being less than 70 feet long?

MotCO

Established Member
4) Go, Go to Jail, Just Visiting

2) The Angel, Islington?

5) Vine Street?

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Two of those are the right squares, but I need something more specific

Pass Go?
Three of the corner squares - the other is a Parking Lot?

PS - I've updated my earlier answer due to forum amalgamation rules

SteveM70

Established Member
4) Go, Go to Jail, Just Visiting

2) The Angel, Islington?

5) Vine Street?

5 is correct

Re 2 - whilst Angel Islington isn’t a thoroughfare (similarly Mayfair), it is though correctly named for what it was at the time. The two I’m looking for are thoroughfares, but they’re mis-named

1 points of the compass? Or one for each of the Big Four?

No. But it is to do with the big four

Calthrop

Established Member
1 points of the compass? Or one for each of the Big Four?

(My bolding) -- in fact, the four stations are all LNER: Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, and Marylebone. (I've always felt that one for each of the Big Four, would have been far more appropriate !) My understanding is that Waddingtons Games, who in the 1930s launched the (originally US-devised) game in Britain: were based in Leeds, and had in more than one way, links and associations with the LNER; that company therefore, particularly "on their radar".
@SteveM70: (you posted as I was composing this one) -- to do with the Big Four: viz. as above, one particular one thereof.