• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll take it if I may ...

In 1967, which post were the following four people (listed alphabetically) proposed for:
Sean Connery, actor
Sir Learie Constantine, cricketer
Alexander Gibson, conductor
The Rt. Hon Jo Grimmond, politician.

As a bonus, who was successful?

Best of luck!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It was the Rector of a University, but it wasn't Edinburgh; and Jo Grimmond wasn't the successful candidate.

Gloster

Established Member
The former is right, but not the latter.
Well, it should have said Alexander Gibson. (Memo to self: read the post before sending, even if it is a short post.)

So if it wasn’t Alexander Gibson, I presume it was 007. I can’t see a cricketer doing well in Scotland.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, it should have said Alexander Gibson. (Memo to self: read the post before sending, even if it is a short post.)

So if it wasn’t Alexander Gibson, I presume it was 007. I can’t see a cricketer doing well in Scotland.
Er ... sorry, no, it was Sir Learie Constantine!

The order was:
Sir Learie Constantine, cricketer 691 votes
The Rt. Hon Jo Grimmond, politician 498 votes
Alexander Gibson, conductor 281 votes
Sean Connery, actor 178 votes

It was apparently a surprise as, although he'd visited the University several times because his daughter had studied there, he wasn't expected to win. The failure of Sean Connery to get more votes was also a surprise, as he was very popular as 007 at the time. Sadly, ill health forced Sir Learie to resign just eighteen months after his election, so it wasn't a long tenure.

Still, despite that, I declare that you're the winner, and you may don the ceremonial robe (or whatever a Rector wears)!

Gloster

Established Member
Where was Chad Valley’s original toy factory? (The nearest station would do for an answer?)

There are two Lake Chad. One is in Africa, near the country. Where is the other one?

Where and when did chads have a decisive political effect?

What is the capital of the country of Chad?

Where is St Chad’s Cathedral?

perryman

3. The 'hanging chads' in the 2000 Bush/Gore US Election were the small round holes that weren't 'punched out' correctly by the automated voting machine (or something similar), thereby nulling the respective ballot paper.

4. N'Djamena is Chad's capital city.

Gloster

Established Member
3. The 'hanging chads' in the 2000 Bush/Gore US Election were the small round holes that weren't 'punched out' correctly by the automated voting machine (or something similar), thereby nulling the respective ballot paper.

4. N'Djamena is Chad's capital city.
3 - Correct, but where in the US?

4 - Correct.