• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Caboose Class

Seeing as how Gene was driving a car, by using Google Maps route planner we can deduce that the only States (i.e. those States that are more than 24 hours driving time away from Tulsa) are Washington and Maine. I think that’s as far as we can narrow it down. Fun time over, folks – time to declare an Open Floor!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Seeing as how Gene was driving a car, by using Google Maps route planner we can deduce that the only States (i.e. those States that are more than 24 hours driving time away from Tulsa) are Washington and Maine. I think that’s as far as we can narrow it down. Fun time over, folks – time to declare an Open Floor!
Dayton, Iowa is almost due north of Tulsa i.e. day (24h) to n(orth).

Caboose Class

Yes, funnily enough I came across this earlier today on a YouTube video. It's an "odd ball" geometrical shape that always rights itself when rolled. Weird geometry involved.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Straight answer I don’t know. However, I have a hunch based on a conversation about a C60 buckyball carbon allotrope - Buckminster Fullerene - that this is something to do with shape.
Shape is very important, see below.
Yes, funnily enough I came across this earlier today on a YouTube video. It's an "odd ball" geometrical shape that always rights itself when rolled. Weird geometry involved.
Correct, your turn...

Caboose Class

It has horrible pongs that would even flush Putin out of his hidey-hole.
I think that honour belongs to Ethanethiol (Ethyl Mercaptan) which is a truly vile smelling liquid. 1 part of Ethanethiol can be detected in 3 billion parts of air. It is added to Propane (LPG) to give the odourless fuel a distinctive smell.

Caboose Class

Does it have a very low melting point, circa 30C?
It was also a delicacy in ancient Egypt (hence Shakespeare's "Antimony and Cleopatra").
Melting Point is acknowledged to be 73.4 degrees C, so nothing much remarkable there. Antimony was named after the Greek words anti and monos to mean “a metal not found alone.” The chemical symbol, Sb, comes from the element's historical name, stibium. Butter of Antimony is Antimony trichloride (SbCl3), named so because of its waxy quality - and not because old Antimonas kept a goat!

Caboose Class

I think this question has probably gone as far as it's going to - so I have decided to reveal the answer.

Butter of Antimony (better known as Antimony trichloride) is a chemical compound with the formula SbCl3. It is a colourless, crystalline solid. What is remarkable about this chemical is its solubility. At room temperature, 100mls. of water will dissolve 910gms. of SbCl3 – that’s nine times its own weight! Compare that with Sodium chloride (common salt) at 36gms. or Sucrose (table sugar) at 217gms. Even more remarkable, water at 50°C will dissolve nineteen times its own weight of SbCl3! It is by far the most water soluble substance known to exist. But the tale doesn’t end there! Antimony trichloride is an inorganic (i.e. contains no carbon atoms) compound. Inorganic substances by and large tend not to dissolve in organic (i.e. carbon containing) solvents such as nail polish remover (Acetone), anti-freeze (Ethylene glycol), dry-cleaning fluid (Tetrachloroethlene), pure spirit drinks (Ethanol), etc., but Antimony trichloride will happily dissolve in all of them. It is a truly remarkable substance!!

OK, Chemistry lesson over with for today – I declare an Open Floor.

MotCO

Established Member
Can I step in with:

Which part of UK had its own time zone btween 1901 and 1936?

Edit:To correct formatting

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Apols for the previous post - don't know what went wrong with the formatting, but the question is at the bottom

SteveM70

Established Member
Getting warmer, but it's a specific part of East Anglia and has a specific reason.

Thanks for the clue, it helped me find the info in the darkest recesses of my mind

The Sandringham Estate, because Edward VII wanted more daylight to be able to go shooting

MotCO

Established Member
Thanks for the clue, it helped me find the info in the darkest recesses of my mind

The Sandringham Estate, because Edward VII wanted more daylight to be able to go shooting

It was indeed! The dates may have given a clue.

Please take the time to set the next question.

SteveM70

Established Member
Up to and including the 2019 general election, how many women have been elected to the House of Commons?

(+/-10 seems a reasonable range for a correct answer)