• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caboose Class

Another cricketing question (maidens permitting):- Where was an Ashes Test Match (involving Wally Hammond and Clarrie Grimmett) interrupted by an old lady requesting the sugar bowl?

Caboose Class

This question really is a bit of a teaser! The answer to the question is on a train, specifically in the dining car of a train in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1938 film “The Lady Vanishes” (IMHO the very best of all the 51 films which Hitchcock directed (and, incidentally, free to view on YouTube). It wasn’t so much an actual Test Match which was interrupted – but rather the description of an incident which occurred in a Test Match that was interrupted.

In the film, a pair of cricket-obsessed characters, Charters (Basil Radford) and Caldicott (Naunton Wayne) are discussing a Test Match which Charters was present at and which featured Wally Hammond (ENG), Clarrie Grimmett (AUS) and the umpire. In order to describe to Caldicott the relative positions of the batsman (Hammond), the bowler (Grimmett) and the umpire, Charters resorts to the use of sugar cubes. Seated alongside the pair of them are Miss Froy (May Whitty) a nanny-cum-British secret agent and Iris Henderson (Margaret Lockwood) the heroine / femme fatale of the piece, who are taking tea together. Half way through Charters’ description of the cricketing incident, Miss Froy leans across and says to Charters “May I trouble you for the sugar, please?” who then has to, very reluctantly, put all the sugar cubes back in the sugar bowl and hand it over to Miss Froy. Classic cinema!!

For the cricketing purists, it is possible to deduce (with a fair degree of certainty) the actual Test Match (which is not revealed in the film) that Charters was describing to Caldicott. To wit:-

Examining their individual Test records, Hammond and Grimmett faced each other in 19 different Test Matches (between 1928 and 1934). Ten Tests were played in England and nine in Australia. As Charters was present at one of these Tests, it is fairly certain that the match was played in England. Further examination of these ten English Test Matches, in particular with regard to runs scored by Hammond, wickets taken by Grimmett, method of dismissal and the fact that an umpire was somehow involved, leads me to believe that it was the 1st Eng v. Aus Test played at Trent Bridge in 1930 where Hammond was twice out lbw to Grimmett (8 in his first innings, 4 in his second).

A wonderful film and a jolly good cricketing whodunit! Open Floor, please.

DaleCooper

Established Member
No

Guy Fawkes was executed on this date.
The cartoonist was American.
Perhaps the date of National Gorilla Suit Day is a bit difficult so I'll tell you, it's the same as National Bubble Wrap Day and National Backward Day - January 31st of course.

Now you just need to name the cartoonist who was known as "Mad's Maddest Artist".

peri

No, it's more operatic.
It was used for an advert for
an athletics brand roughly seven years ago.

peri

I think I'll wrap this one up.
It was Knee Play 1 which started "Einstein on the Beach" the opera by Philip Glass.
Used in an advert for Under Armour in 2015.
Here is a recording of it:-

The floor is open to all