• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
1 (2..3) Volume level?
2&3 - Sound the same with bad frequency response, like on the telephone.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Close enough Dale.
The W sound of one checks bass response, the T of two the treble.
Hence one, two. Not just something to say, but there is sound ( ;) ) reasoning behind it.
Your sound check.
Thank you, here's Neil Innes demonstrating the method.

Next question:

What record is held by a specimen of Armillaria ostoyae?

Marton

I suppose I meant living being. The idea of it being sentient is horrific.

For what is Gruinard notable?

Gloster

Established Member
Supposedly now decontaminated, but I am not putting it on my list of holiday places to visit. For good measure, they may have inadvertently contaminated a bit of the nearby mainland.

Caboose Class

What is the connection between the northernmost city in New Zealand (Whangārei) and the northernmost city in Morocco (Tangier)?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Correct answer. The two largest cities situated exactly (within a mile or two) on opposite sides of the earth. Your turn to spin the globe!
Thank you.

The next question is a bit esoteric so the best strategy could be wild guesses and guesses beget hints:

What do these numbers represent?

Great Britain west 1.25
Ireland west 1.26
Ireland east 1.10
Norway 1.52

TheEdge

Established Member
Some ratio to do with the irregularity of their coastlines. Although I feel like if it was correct Norway would be 152,000.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Some ratio to do with the irregularity of their coastlines. Although I feel like if it was correct Norway would be 152,000.
That's probably as near as we're going to get. They are actually the fractal dimensions of the coastlines.
A few more (surfaces rather than lines):
Balls of crumpled paper 2.5
Broccoli ~2.7
Cauliflower ~2.8
Lung alveoli surface 2.97

Your well deserved turn...

TheEdge

Established Member
That's probably as near as we're going to get. They are actually the fractal dimensions of the coastlines.
A few more (surfaces rather than lines):
Balls of crumpled paper 2.5
Broccoli ~2.7
Cauliflower ~2.8
Lung alveoli surface 2.97

Your well deserved turn...

It was quite the punt as I really thought Norway's figure was far too low. But after stealing your thunder somewhat...

Sci-fi films are often that, fiction with limited science. But one sci-fi film got its science so correct that scientists in that field have gone on to use portions of the film in their studies. Which film and field?