• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Get Attacked at a Station. Who do you call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Just a simple question.

Say I'm minding my own business and a big bunch of rowdies just randomly attack me at a station, who do I call, the regular Police or the BTP? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Captain Chaos

If you are in immediate danger ALWAYS call 999. The regulars will turn up in Emergencies whether it's railway or not. Such formalities of whether it is BTP or the Local's problem to deal with are usually dealt with later.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Seconding ATWalex101's thoughts, I'd be straight on to 999/112 and asking for the police (and ambulance if appropriate).

Now, who responds to you is a totally different matter. You are on BTP territory but often they can be miles away so the local force comes out initially, if you are at a large ish station with a BTP office you may get the BTP. Or you might well get no one because BTP are too far away and local force can't spare the resources to go onto BTP soil. Hopefully not the latter but I've heard of it happening to many times!

TP

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Just ring 999. It is likely that Control will task some civil officers from the area, and also some BTP if available. Unless something really extraordinary is happening on the other side of their patch, or BTP are literally 100 yards away you will almost certainly get a Civil response.

Clip

Established Member
you dont know the number for BTP so 999 it is.. and if they have one then the help point.

12CSVT

Established Member
If you were to ask railway staff to call the police on your behalf, it is likely they will call BTP, who in turn may pass it on to the local police, depending which are able to attend quicker.

But as several posters have said, call 999 in the first instance if possible.

WestCoast

Established Member
999 if you're attacked at a UK station and need emergency assistance. Anywhere in Europe (including the UK), 112 will also work for this purpose.

If you're not in immediate danger and don't need emergency assistance, you may also be able to call the new non-emergency number, 101. I don't know if that's been rolled out across the whole country yet but it's for reporting crimes to the local police. That would include theft and so on. Whether you would be put through to the BTP or not, I don't know.

Also, some stations have emergency help points. Selected National Rail stations have them, but equally so they seem to be at many non-NR stations or stops on other networks including the Tube, DLR, Tramlink, Midland Metro, NET, Manchester Metrolink and Tyne & Wear Metro.

the sniper

Established Member
If you're not in immediate danger and don't need emergency assistance, you may also be able to call the new non-emergency number, 101. I don't know if that's been rolled out across the whole country yet but it's for reporting crimes to the local police. That would include theft and so on. Whether you would be put through to the BTP or not, I don't know.

I don't believe the BTP are part of the 101 scheme. 0800 40 50 40 is the BTP's main number for reporting a crime and general enquiries. 0300 123 2211 is also available for non-emergency general enquiries.

http://www.btp.police.uk/about_us/contacts.aspx

999 is the number to call in the OP's scenario.

ls1911

999 everytime,you could probably get attacked&spend a month in hospital recovering by the time BTP turn up...

class303

sorry about your attack. which station was it at? you seem to witness a lot of incidents in glasgow. 99.99% of your posts are of the "look how rough glasgow is" theme. curious.

bAzTNM

No, I wasn't attacked. Just a random scenario that popped into my brain.

michael769

Established Member
To be blunt if a large group of rowdies attacked you it is unlikely they would allow you to use your phone one or two people you might be in with a chance anyone more than that - no.

Your best chance would be to press the call button on the help point and hope it attracts the CCTV operators attention to your plight. But that would mean standing next to the help point if you are in a vulnerable area.

In fact I believe that lone persons who feel vulnerable at stations are encouraged to use the help point to ask the CCTV operator to keep an eye on them.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you travel a lot, it might be worth getting used to 112 instead of 999. Both work here.

Now, for mobile phone users, you may find other numbers work too - as the phone stores a list of numbers to trigger an emergency call, which in turn triggers a higher priority call level on the network - so you could, in theory, chuck someone else off to ensure your call goes through. The phone network will receive the emergency call request and direct accordingly, so you don't even have to know the number in some obscure country.

Status
Not open for further replies.