• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting on and off the train and rude people

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfoel

The following things REALLY annoy me:-

1. People who try to shove on without letting everyone get off first. Its just so rude and really dangerous.

2. Conversely people who are still half way down the carriage dragging they're bag out of the overhead minutes after the train has stopped and everyone else has got off.

3. When you're waiting for the train to stop and casually standing there. Then someone walks around and stands in front of you. Do you REALLY need to rush onto the train? Just chill out.
I had it this morning. Just me waiting for train to stop and standing where the door will be. Some guy walks around me and stands inches in front of me. So rude.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

al78

Established Member
I would add the dilly dallies who, when I am trying to get between platforms for a tight connection, find it necessary to walk five abreast at seemingly one quarter of walking pace taking up the entire width of the footway (thou shalt not pass).

Another nuisance is when my train is late leaving the station because some idiot who is late runs for the train, gets in the doorway just before it is about to leave, then stands half in, half out in a 'should I stay or should I go' manner.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would add the dilly dallies who, when I am trying to get between platforms for a tight connection, find it necessary to walk five abreast at seemingly one quarter of walking pace taking up the entire width of the footway (thou shalt not pass).

Another nuisance is when my train is late leaving the station because some idiot who is late runs for the train, gets in the doorway just before it is about to leave, then stands half in, half out in a 'should I stay or should I go' manner.

I have a lot more sympathy for that 'idiot' if his connecting train is late, or due to poor timetabling has a really bad connection, I.e. a two hourly service which is timed to arrive three minutes before the last connection of the night is about to leave (Northern, this means you).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes, it's been a while, I was wondering when we'd next have a thread from paulfoel about people being rude to him.

It's like Groundhog Day!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132421 Station staff being rude

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131443 Passengers doing the same thing as described in the OP

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=122299 Passengers rude again, more old ground covered in the OP

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97750 OP being rude to another passenger

Last edited:

Chrisyd

My bugbear is those who are standing on a train, but when you get to a popular station and everyone starts to get off doesn't take a now vacated seat as they are "only on until the next stop" and so forces everyone to squeeze past them!

Also those who get on first, stop at the first available seat, stand in the isle taking their coat off, adjusting their bag, by which time everyone coming from the other end of the train has taken all the seats and you are now standing.

It's quite therapeutic this thread!

duncanp

Established Member
dragging they're bag .

1. People who don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "their"
2. People on the London Underground who ignore the "keep left" signs
3. People who stand at the top of a flight of stairs or an escalator checking their phoneand thus causing an obstruction.

Sounds like we could write a second edition of "Pains On Trains".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This AGAIN? ;)

The world is full of rude people. Just chill out. Don't let it worry you because you will do something that annoys someone.

al78

Established Member
This AGAIN? ;)

The world is full of rude people. Just chill out. Don't let it worry you because you will do something that annoys someone.

I make an effort not to do so. It's not that difficult, just requires a bit of thought and basic consideration in most cases.

urbophile

Established Member
People who on an overcrowded train stand clustered around the doorway rather than moving down into the body of the carriage.

Senex

Established Member
That's not just on the railways -- think of the number of times a group of people on a pavement will continue walking abreast even though that forces those coming the other way into the road.

Lockwood

2. Conversely people who are still half way down the carriage dragging they're bag out of the overhead minutes after the train has stopped and everyone else has got off.

I do find this one to be a funny one.
You get a crush of people get off, then you start to board and then Mr I-Just-Remembered-This-Is-My-Station comes charging past half a minute behind the first wave stopped, almost sending you flying back out of the train (hyperbole)

I was going to ask if it was technically illegal to board in this instance. If you had done so and were fully inside, you'd not be entering by the door as someone is using it to leave, but you are doing it before the person leaving has passed through it (or shown intention to do so)

Yes, that is a stupidly pedantic thought. I am aware that this is a forum that both thrives on pedantry and also simultaneously loathes pedantry.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
1. People who wait until I am practically on top of them before deciding to look for their ticket. Despite having seen me walk down the train requesting tickets.

2. People who then have to hunt for their railcards despite knowing they will need to show it.

3. People who dont move luggage or belongings off seats even tho they can clearly see people standing.they shouldnt need prompting by me to tell them to move it.

3a. People who dont follow the instructions and move it after I have told them

4. Being called a jobsworth because the ticket holder doesnt know/doesnt want to know/doesnt bother following ticket restrictions. They are there for a reason.

5. People who think they know my job better than I do. I dont walk into your office telling you how to do your job...

Stampy

As others have said...

People who push in front of you, then proceed to do one of the following...

a) Dive into a seat with tables and arrange their bags for "mates" to sit with them

b) Look for a "bay of 4 seats", and upon NOT spotting one - stop still in the middle of the doorway whilst the brain re-calculates the options

c) Get on the train, and give a gobful of abuse to somebody sitting a "bay of 4" on their own and request THEY move when there are plenty of seats on the train*

d) Let everybody on, and then block the doors from closing as their "mate" is in one of either the platform toilet, shop getting alcohol, or is running late....

* This actually happened to ME on a Thameslink train at Bedford Station on Saturday.

I'm over 6ft so I like to sit in a "bay of 4" or a table seat so I can stretch my legs out.

I get on the train, sit down and about a minute before departure, a middle-aged couple get on and then give me a mouthful about taking up 4 seats (there was only myself and my bag, from which I was removing my phone charger and my bottle of water).

They then wander off further down the carriage, and find another bay of 4, and proceed to sit down, spreading out their shopping bags across the seats...... :o

AM9

Veteran Member
That's not just on the railways -- think of the number of times a group of people on a pavement will continue walking abreast even though that forces those coming the other way into the road.

No it doesn't, you just maintain your path and they will part/slip back when they realise that you won't allow them to force you off the path.* It may mean that you have to momentarily stop. This applies in subways, on platforms, in fact any location where there is a conflicting flow of people.

* The exception might be when a threatening mob insist on pushing others out of the way. That is a self-preservation call.

J-2739

Established Member
Don't react to these people. By showing that you're annoyed, you're just acknowledging their existence. Just be 'Japanese' and continue with your own life. :)

Not much people annoy me on the railways, to be honest.

Sent from my S4 using Stagecoach Wi-Fi.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The following things REALLY annoy me:-

1. People who try to shove on without letting everyone get off first. Its just so rude and really dangerous.

3. When you're waiting for the train to stop and casually standing there. Then someone walks around and stands in front of you. Do you REALLY need to rush onto the train? Just chill out.
I had it this morning. Just me waiting for train to stop and standing where the door will be. Some guy walks around me and stands inches in front of me. So rude.

Oh dear!
What a shame!
Life's a bitch and then you're dead.

I think you really need to stop catching the train if the other passengers make life so difficult for you.

sheff1

Established Member
5. People who think they know my job better than I do. I dont walk into your office telling you how to do your job...

I am sure this does not apply to you, but ...

Ticket checkers (sic) who say "don't tell me how to do my job, I know what is valid and that isn't" when they quite clearly do need someone to explain their job to them as the ticket they claim is invalid is, in fact, 100 % valid.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
1. People who don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "their"
2. People on the London Underground who ignore the "keep left" signs
3. People who stand at the top of a flight of stairs or an escalator checking their phoneand thus causing an obstruction.

Sounds like we could write a second edition of "Pains On Trains".

The one I've bolded annoys me, not so much on LU as I'm only in The Smoke once or twice a year- but it's a real pain on the stairs at both Huddersfield and Dewsbury.

rdeez

This happened today at New Street (well, probably happens most days really).

People pushing and fighting to get on while people still disembarking, crowded so tight around the doors on the platform that the flow of people getting off slowed to a crawl.

Ironically, in their rush to board, they're actually lengthening the amount of time it takes for them to be able to do so.

A lot of people seem to leave common sense, decency and manners on the other side of the barriers, sadly.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No it doesn't, you just maintain your path and they will part/slip back when they realise that you won't allow them to force you off the path.* It may mean that you have to momentarily stop. This applies in subways, on platforms, in fact any location where there is a conflicting flow of people.

Not always. I've had people simply walk into me after I've stopped in front of them as their party takes up the entire width of the pavement. Sometimes they've then complained at me.

Established Member
Last year, I was on a busy Northern Rail service from St Helens Central to Liverpool Lime Street, so as I expected because it was so busy someone sat in the vacant seat next to me. When we got to Liverpool Lime Street, I had a tight connection but the woman who sat next to me decided to stand up and let literally everyone else get off first before moving. I did ask politely twice if she could let me out as I had a connection on the underground platform, but she obviously didn't listen and then decided to dawdle getting off the train, which really annoyed me.

People like that really p*** me off.

Established Member
Had someone on my train last week-I KNEW he was going to push past to board, which he did, muttering the fakest 'sorry mate' I think I've ever heard. There was 1 seat in the 1/3 of the coach between that door and the cab.

Guess what I did, and guess which one of us ended up standing!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Ticket checkers (sic) who say "don't tell me how to do my job, I know what is valid and that isn't" when they quite clearly do need someone to explain their job to them as the ticket they claim is invalid is, in fact, 100 % valid.

To be fair i cant expect and dont know everything, and I am quite happy to be pointed out the correct facts. If I cant get my head around it how can the travelling public understand? In fact someone on here a few years ago helped me with the routeing guide when I challenged his Glasgow to bristol ticket when he was in Middlesbrough. He showed me his route as it appeared in the routeing guide and taught me a load of stuff I didnt know so was very grateful for that. Cant remember who that was but thanks! :D

My comment was more aimed at those who think they are in the know rather than those who actually know!

Established Member
1. People who don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "their".

What exactly is the difference between "their" and "their" ;)

I am aware that this is a forum that both thrives on pedantry and also simultaneously loathes pedantry.

Yep :)

My dislike is people who drag a suitcase on wheels without realising it is like an articulated lorry, cut a corner and you get your toes run over.

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
Looks as if someone's got themselves stuck under a DVT at King's Cross trying to run for an already departing train. Too late to learn the lesson now. Thoughts to those dealing with it.

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
To be fair i cant expect and dont know everything, and I am quite happy to be pointed out the correct facts. If I cant get my head around it how can the travelling public understand? In fact someone on here a few years ago helped me with the routeing guide when I challenged his Glasgow to bristol ticket when he was in Middlesbrough. He showed me his route as it appeared in the routeing guide and taught me a load of stuff I didnt know so was very grateful for that. Cant remember who that was but thanks! :D

My comment was more aimed at those who think they are in the know rather than those who actually know!

If all ticket checkers took the same attitude, travel would be far smoother for those of us travelling on esoteric tickets :D.

Unfortunately there will always be people (staff and passengers alike) who think they know everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.