• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting on and off the train and rude people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
People who block the doors with a bicycle not being conveyed in the correct space for them and the Guards who walk past and say nothing.:idea:

They and their bikes should be thrown off the Train at the first available opportunity !!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
People who don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "their".

Oh dear, I should have (not "should of") said

"People who don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "there".

:oops:

Another thing I don't like is people who don't pay attention to their bags when walking through a train and let the bag knock into you.

Or people who sit next to you, and can't sit still for five minutes without fidgeting inside their bag/playing with their phone/elbowing you when reading a newspaper.. etc. etc.

Yes I am turning into Victor Meldrew.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
People who block the doors with a bicycle not being conveyed in the correct space for them and the Guards who walk past and say nothing.:idea:

They and their bikes should be thrown off the Train at the first available opportunity !!

I suggest avoiding trains that call at Cambridge then...

shredder1

Established Member
2. People on the London Underground who ignore the "keep left" signs

some people have a bad right leg and need to hold on to the right hand side of the escalator, maybe they should turn round and face backwards to facilitate the runners? :rolleyes:

Mordac

Established Member
2. People who then have to hunt for their railcards despite knowing they will need to show it.
This was me, when I was young enough to still be eligible for a railcard! The reason is that, at least in my experience (and this includes a lot of TPE travel!) most guards don't ask to see the railcard, so it was easier to just get it out for the few who did.

What annoys me most is people who sit with their legs into the aisle and then proceed to fall asleep or just ignore people coming down. If you want to stretch fine, but then the onus is on you to be alert to incoming people and pull back in to let them through.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

some people have a bad right leg and need to hold on to the right hand side of the escalator, maybe they should turn round and face backwards to facilitate the runners? :rolleyes:

The keep left signs are not on the escalators. They indicate which side of tunnels people should walk to avoid people coming in the opposite direction. The signs on most escalators say "stand on the right".

Busaholic

Veteran Member

No need - it's standing on the right on all London Underground escalators. I even own a cartoon dating from the 1930s alluding to this.:)

Established Member
No need - it's standing on the right on all London Underground escalators. I even own a cartoon dating from the 1930s alluding to this.:)
Did they ditch standing on both sides at Holborn?

BestWestern

Established Member
Stuff wot winds me reet up -

1. Trains

2. People who insist on using trains

3. Railway companies who insist on running trains, which people then insist on using

4. Just everything really

shredder1

Established Member
The keep left signs are not on the escalators. They indicate which side of tunnels people should walk to avoid people coming in the opposite direction. The signs on most escalators say "stand on the right".

The ones on the escalators, the clues in the word escalator, lol
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

and other people have a bad left leg :roll:

al78

Established Member

People who congregate in the bicycle space completely rendering it useless for anyone who wishes to put a bicycle there for their journey, and won't move to allow a bicycle to be put there, yet there are 35 empty seats in the carriage where they wouldn't be obstructing anyone. They and their bloody minded attitude should be thrown off the train at the first opportunity !!

Butts

Veteran Member
People who congregate in the bicycle space completely rendering it useless for anyone who wishes to put a bicycle there for their journey, and won't move to allow a bicycle to be put there, yet there are 35 empty seats in the carriage where they wouldn't be obstructing anyone. They and their bloody minded attitude should be thrown off the train at the first opportunity !!

Agreed, over to the onboard staff to enforce the rules :p

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Part of that problem is caused by putting tip-up seats in bicycle and wheelchair areas, which is poor design. If the train is full people might have to stand there, of course, but they should not be encouraged to sit there.

Master29

Established Member
Yes, it's been a while, I was wondering when we'd next have a thread from paulfoel about people being rude to him.

It's like Groundhog Day!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132421 Station staff being rude

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131443 Passengers doing the same thing as described in the OP

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=122299 Passengers rude again, more old ground covered in the OP

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97750 OP being rude to another passenger

I notice he does this and never gets involved in the rest of the thread. A reaction gauger if there's such a word.

SSp

People who sit there with a smelly coffee, turning their nose up at someone next to them with a less smelly can of Kron...

HowardGWR

Established Member
I notice he does this and never gets involved in the rest of the thread. A reaction gauger if there's such a word.

In fairness, the issue of people behaving badly is a real one, but one does tend to react with 'and ?'.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Part of that problem is caused by putting tip-up seats in bicycle and wheelchair areas, which is poor design. If the train is full people might have to stand there, of course, but they should not be encouraged to sit there.

In Paris there are, or at least were, signs saying that the tip up seats must not be used at busy times.

Such signs could easily be introduced here; while there will be the odd person or two who won't obey them, overall people will pay attention to them.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Are some of these Conductors stupid or just lacking bottle/confrontational skills?

No more stupid than some commentators on here.
Why should they put themselves in potentially confrontational situations?
Your comment suggests you don't understand the difficult job they do. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

paulfoel

Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange that someone remembers previous threads of mine and has gone to the effort to quote each one?

Tomglomerate

These threads are always good for a bit of light relief. :p

I do love it when people stand in front of the doors of a train they have no intention of boarding (thus blocking it for everyone around them), just so they can try and be first on their train. Then again I can't help but smirk a little when a different type of rolling stock turns up for their train and they're in completely the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.