• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Dundee (via Edinburgh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a couple of weeks I want to do the following trip.

Friday Glasgow - Edinburgh (off peak)
Saturday Edinburgh - Dundee
Saturday Dundee - Edinburgh
Sunday Edinburgh - Glasgow.

I'm assuming I can't just get a normal return for the outward journey as no split is allowed, is that correct?

Is there a cheaper way to do this than a day return EDI - DUN and two singles on Friday and Sunday between Glasgow/Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
There is no reason to imagine that 'splitting tickets' is disallowed. If you want to use two (or more) tickets to cover your journey, then you may, subject to the usual conditions about stopping at the station(s) where you change from one ticket to the next.

A single from Glasgow to Dundee is valid via Edinburgh if you wish to go that way; or you may go via Stirling. The price appears to be £20.70 for a single (travelling by either route).

However, you seem to want to spread both the outward and return over 2 days, each, so you are correct in saying that a Day Return would not be suitable for that journey.

soil

Established Member
What do you mean, no split is allowed?

A Glasgow - Dundee Anytime Return costs £40.40, and

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46544.aspx

"For Anytime Return tickets, the outward journey must be made within 5 days and up until 04:29 after the last day of validity; the return portion must be used within one calendar month and up until 04:29 after the last day of validity."

As it's an Anytime Return, there are NO restrictions on break of journey, and Glasgow - Dundee via Edinburgh is a mapped route, therefore permitted.

There is also no day return Edinburgh - Dundee, unless you want the XC Only fare, which is more expensive than the East Coast Only.

A cheaper split is:

Glasgow - Leuchars Anytime Return £32.40
Leuchars - Dundee Off-Peak Day Return £5.50
£37.90

However not all trains call at Leuchars - your train must call there for this ticket to be valid.

calc7

Established Member
A £40.40 Glasgow-Dundee Anytime Return is suitable for your requirements. The Outbound portion is valid for use over 5 days and the Return portion is valid for a month.

That anytime return has gone up a shedload in recent years, was £30 not long ago.

Apologies for using "split" in the wrong context, I wasn't referring to split ticketing. I did indeed mean breaking my outwards journey overnight at Edinburgh, I didn't think that was ever allowed, good to hear it is. Will investigate Leauchars split (in the right context!).

Cheers for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.