• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Does anyone know what the situation is going to be with retail? Whenever I passed through Queen Street before the lockdown it looked like there wasn’t much provision for shops.

I recall before the rebuild it had some very well used outlets, including a Burger King, Bonapartes and a Costa.

I'm sure in time there will be some retail. Used to be a WH Smith too. Remember that Burger King, often shared your table with Pidgeon's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Does anyone know what the situation is going to be with retail? Whenever I passed through Queen Street before the lockdown it looked like there wasn’t much provision for shops.

I recall before the rebuild it had some very well used outlets, including a Burger King, Bonapartes and a Costa.
They'll probably replace the BK with a Leon full of snooty oiks who can't admit that they've got chips on the menu. SSP-run station catering is a waste of time in town centre stations now. Might be nice to have some coffee places though

InOban

Established Member
Once the passengers return I'm sure the fast food and coffee franchises will be back. They're in no financial state to spend money building outlets at present.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Once the passengers return I'm sure the fast food and coffee franchises will be back. They're in no financial state to spend money building outlets at present.

I recall during the rebuild that they opened an Inter7City cafe in the concourse... selling the stuff you could buy on the train and staffed by Hospitality Assistants

Aictos

Established Member
I recall during the rebuild that they opened an Inter7City cafe in the concourse... selling the stuff you could buy on the train and staffed by Hospitality Assistants
Is that still there or was it a temporary thing? Be good if it was permanent as you could buy ScotRail branded stuff eg umbrellas, mugs etc

takno

Established Member
Is that still there or was it a temporary thing? Be good if it was permanent as you could buy ScotRail branded stuff eg umbrellas, mugs etc
I think it was intended to be temporary, although of course in the original plan queen Street was also meant to be packed full of passengers, and there would have been plenty of people ready and willing to set up concessions. Compared with real coffee from decent machines and tea made with actual hot water I suspect the trolley offering would have struggled.

It does suggest a possible route for keeping retail staff on site at smaller stations though - if ScotRail can get the offering tuned right then the sorts of things you can sell from a small station ticket office are probably very similar to the things you can sell on a train. Definitely a different thread though...

route101

Established Member

Not been there for a while. Find Queen St a bit souless without shops. Even the shops in Central have been struggling, Marks and Spencers has shut again and the Burger King only opened for a few days then shut again.

They'll probably replace the BK with a Leon full of snooty oiks who can't admit that they've got chips on the menu. SSP-run station catering is a waste of time in town centre stations now. Might be nice to have some coffee places though

They were going to open a Leon in Glasgow, only tried there brekky items. The Queen St BK was a bit of a dive !

scotraildriver

Established Member
Not been there for a while. Find Queen St a bit souless without shops. Even the shops in Central have been struggling, Marks and Spencers has shut again and the Burger King only opened for a few days then shut again.

They were going to open a Leon in Glasgow, only tried there brekky items. The Queen St BK was a bit of a dive !
Dive is putting it mildly. Pigeons walking/flying around while you consume your £5.50 whopper (not a meal deal), junkies/jakies begging you for money and filthy tables, floors and everything else. I truly hope BK never opens here again.

route101

Established Member
Dive is putting it mildly. Pigeons walking/flying around while you consume your £5.50 whopper (not a meal deal), junkies/jakies begging you for money and filthy tables, floors and everything else. I truly hope BK never opens here again.

Station Burger Kings for you. Id imagine it would be a coffee place that would open in Queen St.

najaB

Veteran Member
That must've been towards the end? I used it a few times a while back and it was basically okay.

route101

Established Member
That must've been towards the end? I used it a few times a while back and it was basically okay.

BK do have sloppy standards, poor training or procedures, strange though as i prefer a BK to a McDS.

As for the station, think we would be lucky to see WH Smith, I wonder if the Sainsburys will come back, though that wasn't inside the station.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I suspect the first tenant will be Boots. If I remember correctly Network Rail were paying the lease on the temporary store on Sauchiehall St at the Buchanan Galleries when the one in Queen St closed. That store has now closed down again.

Established Member
Yes please on a Boots, a small supermarket, somewhere to get a decent coffee, and a bar.

Like a lot of people the only reason I go into WH Smiths nowadays is to buy ridiculously overpriced tech accessories when I'm in a hurry and desperate because I've forgotten something. There are plenty of other places in the middle of Glasgow where you can be ripped off for a charger, so I can live without that service within the station itself.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
On the face of it not directly refurbishment and re-modelling related, but perhaps helping to emphasise the need for it.

I have been having a nostalgic trawl through my bookshelf and found in 'British Rail at Work: Scotrail' by Colin Boocock (Ian Allan 1986) an undated photo of 'the micro-dot edifice' (departure and arrival board) at Queen St. This board had replaced the previous 'Solari(?)' board which perhaps dated from circa 1970.
I would guess the photo perhaps dates from the very late 70's or early 80's - the book is very much focussed on scene as it was in the early 1980s.

It portrays the standard alternate hour departure and arrivals.
14.00 Edinburgh - first stop Haymarket (which may help date it if anyone can recall when the second Falkirk High call was added in each hour)
14.08 Falkirk Grahamston -
14.30 Edinburgh - Falkirk High and Haymarket only
14.38 Dunblane
15.00 Edinburgh

The arrivals panel has the inward workings of these plus a 13.50 arrival from Aberdeen - did that go back at 15.25?

So the basic pattern was four trains per hour plus an Aberdeen in alternate hours. Additional to these various times through the day would be the occasional Inverness (two, or maybe three, per day plus the overnight, the three per day to Oban (4 in summer), two per day to Fort William/Mallaig (3 in summer) and some extras in the peaks.

In the pre covid normal there would 'now' be 4 Edinburghs, 2 Edinburgh via Cumbernauld & Grahamston, one each to Dunblane and Alloa, two to Anniesland and an hourly Aberdeeen - have I missed anything, that makes 11 per hour plus the now more frequent occasional West Highland and Inverness & Dundee trains.

Admittedly we are talking about a change over a forty year period but that is still quite an explosion in the number of departures and arrivals as well as some being longer trains, underlining the need to update Queen St to cater for modern needs.

scotraildriver

Established Member
There is an hourly (roughly xx. 10) to somewhere now. Inverness/Arbroath/Dundee depending on time meaning a half hourly service to Perth. Not to mention all the additional ECS to and from Eastfield. Queen St is just about capacity now.

Class 170101

Established Member
In the pre covid normal there would 'now' be 4 Edinburghs, 2 Edinburgh via Cumbernauld & Grahamston, one each to Dunblane and Alloa, two to Anniesland and an hourly Aberdeeen - have I missed anything, that makes 11 per hour plus the now more frequent occasional West Highland and Inverness & Dundee trains.

Dunblane services shared with the Inverness / Dundee trains to make Glasgow to Dunblane hourly approximately. Alloa is now half hourly to Glasgow.

Voyager lad

I’m not sure if this has already been covered or not, but I’ve seen the Network Rail team for Queen St say on Twitter quite a few times that an extra lift is being added to both platforms 8&9 (i.e. 1 extra on each platform), and was wondering if anyone knew where these would actually be going?

ScotTrains

It also used to provide complimentary drinks and snacks for 1st class passengers too. I seem to remember the franchise agreement mentions providing complimentary refreshments at certain stations for 1st class passengers.

Once passenger numbers return hopefully they'll open the much needed, new first class lounge, providing passengers a nicer place to wait.

Clansman

Established Member
That's not coffee they're drinking. In the same way, that isn't "juice" they are drinking from their plastic bottles, if you get my drift. :lol:
Exactly what I was implying!

'First rule of fight club…' strangely springs to mind :D

och aye

Is this stage of the redevelopment largely complete, are all that's left to be done some finishing touches?

nlogax

Established Member
Is this stage of the redevelopment largely complete, are all that's left to be done some finishing touches?

Network Rail QS mentioned a week or two back that the 1960 Glasgow Suburban Electrification plaque was going to be reinstalled - is that still on the to-do list?

The only other thing I think the station needs is people!

scotraildriver

Established Member
There's still a considerable amount to do, but progress is slow due to limited numbers allowed on site. Work is still in progress at the low level entrances, new lifts and refurbishment of the pillars is ongoing with 5 now complete and looking splendid. This week the big new green arrows/red Xs above the barriers have been commissioned. All the 1970s facade remains at platform 7, the new retail unit there making progress, and the columns slowly bring revealed. New screens, signage and totems have been installed. I'll try and get some photos later this week.

Class 170101

Established Member
Don't suppose if anyone knows if the Glasgow 'seagull' associated with this project is still around or has that been subjected to coronavirus regulations.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Will the new lifts at low level entrances replace the existing ones accessed from the high-level platform areas? Or are they additional meaning passengers entering the station from outside will no longer have to pass through the main line barriers for lift access to the platforms below?

Status
Not open for further replies.