• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

XC90

Seen this on the way to the football yesterday. Brand new by Stadler, same manufacturer of Merseyrail units and will be driverless too.

Anyone know when they will go in to service?

Attachments

• 20200122_191023.jpg
    20200122_191023.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 308
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EMU303

Seen this on the way to the football yesterday. Brand new by Stadler, same manufacturer of Merseyrail units and will be driverless too.

Think they've received 3 trains for testing... and I think the roll out all the trains (17?) is dependant on a complimentary new signalling system.... Given it's SPT running the show it won't be any time soon...
http://www.spt.co.uk/2019/05/first-new-subway-trains-arrive/

XC90

Is this a new depot and is it connected to the nearby mainline?

Last edited by a moderator:

DanNCL

Established Member
Is this a new depot and is it connected to the nearby mainline? Wondering if there is scope for a tunnel from Govan to Renfrew and the Airport linking the mainline to Glasgow central or maybe a walkway from St Enoch to GLC.
It's the same depot that's been used since the Subway modernistation project in the 1970s/1980s. No mainline connection, and one wouldn't be possible as the subway uses a different track gauge (4ft gauge rather than standard guage)

XC90

I took this picture at Emiston drive, behind KFC. If its Broomloan Rd depot it must be an extension of the depot because it is about 100yds from the mainline.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Delayed until 2021, no specific month given.

It's the same depot that's been used since the Subway modernistation project in the 1970s/1980s. No mainline connection, and one wouldn't be possible as the subway uses a different track gauge (4ft gauge rather than standard guage)

Same depot as the pre-modernised Subway, just with a ramp to the tunnels and modern maintenance equipment.

I took this picture at Emiston drive, behind KFC. If its Broomloan Rd depot it must be an extension of the depot because it is about 100yds from the mainline.

The tracks do extend fairly close to the road from the depot. You can see them shunting units about sometimes.

kilonewton

It’s a new depot built for receiving and testing the trains and signalling as there’s no space in the existing depot to do that.
I understand it is planned to be removed when the project is completed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just as a side point, Stadler have now won the Tyne Wear Metro contract as well.

Indeed, though personally I think the Glasgow stock is of a nicer overall design even if it's imposed by the loading guage of the Subway against the 755/777-esque design of the new T&W trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.