• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidmouth

Have just booked an advance ticket Glasgow to PBO. The train from GLQ arrives EDB 16.48 and departs there at 17.00 to PBO. I am concerned at the 12 min connection shown: can I rely on it or should I catch an earlier departure fron GLQ nd would I be allowed to? Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you have a reservation on the GLQ - EDB leg then no you cannot if however you only hold a reservation between EDB and PBO then yes you can catch an earlier train from Glasgow to Edinburgh. It's worth pointing out that if you were to miss the train to PBO (due to your connecting train being late) then you would be allowed to catch the next train to complete your journey without question as you hold a through ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you have a reservation on the GLQ - EDB leg
The trains appear to be unreservable.
then no you cannot
Do you have a source for this? (HHF does not count ;))
if however you only hold a reservation between EDB and PBO then yes you can catch an earlier train from Glasgow to Edinburgh. It's worth pointing out that if you were to miss the train to PBO (due to your connecting train being late) then you would be allowed to catch the next train to complete your journey without question
Agreed.
as you hold a through ticket.
This is not a requirement for the above, indeed EC have twice issued updates in their PTU specifically stating that guards must allow onward travel on a combination of tickets where the first train is late.

Failed Unit

Established Member
But surely the east coast delay repay would not be valid as it would be Scotrails delay causing the missed connect.

That said the route is generally reliable, it needs to be heading back to Glasgow at 1700. If you want safety get the 1545, you often find on the shuttle you arrive at the station in time for the one before anyway.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do you have a source for this?

No, but I thought if someone held a reservation for any leg of an advance ticket then they have to travel on the reserved train? Obviously in this case seeing as GLQ-EDB cannot be reserved that doesn't apply but say I had a Norwich to Darlington advance (change at Peterborough) both legs are reserved so surely I have to travel on the reserved trains?

This is not a requirement for the above, indeed EC have twice issued updates in their PTU specifically stating that guards must allow onward travel on a combination of tickets where the first train is late.

Oh indeed I agree completely that it isn't a requirement but as we have seen some members of staff disagree (naming no names ;)) so I was just pointing out that no staff will question it as it's a through ticket whereas on split tickets they might (depending on their interpretation of the NRCoC) even if that's wrong (as the PTUs have told us).

sidmouth

Thanks all for replies. Much appriated! I will go for the the 16.00 from GLQ in the comfort that as it's a through booking I can catch the the next train on from EDB - just that having been to EDB on several occasions in the past I think it a bit of a warren, but if 10 min is the standard min connection then I won't argue.
Ps when booking the tickets I did look at split ticketing but the Advance PBO to GLQ was only a £1 more than to EDB.
Trip not til August and booked 1st class to sample the freebies...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No, but I thought if someone held a reservation for any leg of an advance ticket then they have to travel on the reserved train? Obviously in this case seeing as GLQ-EDB cannot be reserved that doesn't apply but say I had a Norwich to Darlington advance (change at Peterborough) both legs are reserved so surely I have to travel on the reserved trains?

It depends on whether it says "mandatory reservation" on it though I suppose. If it does then there is no doubt that the passenger would have to catch that train. If the connecting train is unreservable then there is also no doubt that it is not compulsory that the passenger travels on that particular train.

What I don't know, and am not sure whether it has been covered in previous discussions, is whether the system will automatically generate a mandatory reservation coupon if the connecting train is reservable. For example, I can get an +AP EMT & Connect ticket for Leicester - Clapham Junction, either by routeing via Victoria or Waterloo. As we all know, some long-distance Southern services have Advance quotas. My question is, if a journey is booked where the connecting part is on one of those reservable trains, would the system automatically generate a "mandatory reservation" coupon for the leg Victoria - Clapham Junction on Southern? Does anyone know the answer for sure?

(Note that I deliberately used an example other than XC as I would imagine such a coupon would be printed if the connecting part is on XC.)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's been debated many times before, we'll never get a conclusive answer.

The trains are not reservable on this particular route so it doesn't apply here, but I would argue that the system is mostly geared up to ensuring - where practicable - people are on the correct long-distance train, and if that means allowing people to take an earlier local train, then there should be no problem with that.

The rules used to be clear, simple, and easy-to-understand, stating:
Valid on date, GNER train and
seats shown on the ticket,
plus connecting trains as
required.
That was clear to me that the GNER train was compulsory (yes, even the seat... but this is rarely enforced) but connecting trains were not.

Then came simplification and this wording changed,
Valid on National Express
East Coast (TOC Code: XEC)
and connecting services.

(Free) seat reservations are
compulsory.
Yes, it really does say that, even now in NFM09, despite National Express being gone ages now. Anyway, it is no longer clear whether reservations are "compulsory" on the non-EC sections if reserveable trains are chosen.

If all Glasgow-Edinburgh trains were being delayed by 10 minutes, and if the trains were reserveable, and if it was enforced that you had to get the booked train, and Scotrail denied the customer access to the train 15 minutes earlier, then Scotrail would be liable for the delay. It would make absolutely no sense for them to do this.

It would be in Scotrail's favour to allow the customer to board an earlier train, because if delays do occur on Scotrail services then the customer is less likely to miss their EC train, and therefore Scotrail are less likely to pay out.

Anyway, it's all theoretical as the trains are not reserveable.

On Monday I was on a later train than booked to Aberdeen (those trains are reserveable), but the Scotrail guard accepted the tickets as soon as he saw they were "EC & Connections" tickets, and did not ask to see reservation coupons. I believe the guard acted correctly and this is how I would expect any guard to act on connecting services, and is in accordance with my experiences on "& Connections" tickets.
Oh indeed I agree completely that it isn't a requirement but as we have seen some members of staff disagree (naming no names ;)) so I was just pointing out that no staff will question it as it's a through ticket whereas on split tickets they might (depending on their interpretation of the NRCoC) even if that's wrong (as the PTUs have told us).
Ah yes, that's fine.

If the customer was on a split ticket, I would send them a PM with various information to quote to anyone who questioned it, and instructions on what to do in such circumstances that would ensure a favourable outcome. But as they aren't, that's not needed.

John @ home

Established Member
But surely the east coast delay repay would not be valid as it would be Scotrails delay causing the missed connect.
These Glasgow - Peterborough Advance tickets are route EC & Connections. When I have suffered a delay on one of these tickets, I have sent the claim to the TOC named on the ticket, and they have sent me the voucher(s). In my opinion, the passenger's responsibilities do not extend to delay attribution.

Fortunately I did not suffer a delay when I travelled on a Leeds - Cardiff route ATW FGW NT & TPE ticket!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It depends on whether it says "mandatory reservation" on it though I suppose. If it does then there is no doubt that the passenger would have to catch that train. If the connecting train is unreservable then there is also no doubt that it is not compulsory that the passenger travels on that particular train.
I still think there is some doubt in both scenarios, both can be debated endlessly without a really conclusive answer.
What I don't know, and am not sure whether it has been covered in previous discussions, is whether the system will automatically generate a mandatory reservation coupon if the connecting train is reservable. For example, I can get an +AP EMT & Connect ticket for Leicester - Clapham Junction, either by routeing via Victoria or Waterloo. As we all know, some long-distance Southern services have Advance quotas. My question is, if a journey is booked where the connecting part is on one of those reservable trains, would the system automatically generate a "mandatory reservation" coupon for the leg Victoria - Clapham Junction on Southern? Does anyone know the answer for sure?
I think it would, but it would not provide a seat.

However some of these trains only have quotas for their own TOCs tickets, and have no quota for "& Connections" tickets (or a zero quota?), it is also possible that there is limitless availability (as with non-reservable trains) of "& Connections" tickets on some of these semi-reservable trains that means they are treated the same as non-reservable trains, however I have not verified this.

The whole AP thing is an absolute mess, and it's getting worse as more and more TOCs do their own thing. I recently discovered that York-Bangor AP tickets are so ridiculous that you are heavily penalised for doing a through booking to such an extent that it is cheaper to get walk-on SVRs splitting at Manchester.

I can't see the AP system getting any simpler, I can only see it getting more and more complex.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Fortunately I did not suffer a delay when I travelled on a Leeds - Cardiff route ATW FGW NT & TPE ticket!

You might not say that had it happened. You could have got four lots of compensation. :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thanks all for replies. Much appriated! I will go for the the 16.00 from GLQ in the comfort that as it's a through booking I can catch the the next train on from EDB - just that having been to EDB on several occasions in the past I think it a bit of a warren, but if 10 min is the standard min connection then I won't argue.
Ps when booking the tickets I did look at split ticketing but the Advance PBO to GLQ was only a £1 more than to EDB.
Trip not til August and booked 1st class to sample the freebies...

Sit in the rear 3 coaches on the Scotrail, the front three have no staff so no freebies. However anyone using invalid tickets always heads for the front 3.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
These Glasgow - Peterborough Advance tickets are route EC & Connections. When I have suffered a delay on one of these tickets, I have sent the claim to the TOC named on the ticket, and they have sent me the voucher(s). In my opinion, the passenger's responsibilities do not extend to delay attribution.

Good point, the average passenger does not care who operates the delayed train.

Status
Not open for further replies.