• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GLC - EUS and onto Tottenham Court Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Looking for some fares advice if possible folks. My other half and I will be going down to London on Monday the 1st of Feb, and coming back up on Thursday the 4th. After getting into Euston on the Monday, we've got to get to Tottenham Court Road station.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Assuming that your tickets are to London Terminals and you are arriving before 22.00 you have the following options:
Cab around £8.50 to £9 depending on the traffic
Bus £1.50 each (contactless bank cards or oyster) cash not accepted-bus number 73 or 390 from stop H outside the station
Tube £2.30 each (contactless or oyster) £4.80 each cash- 1 stop on the Southbound Northern Line towards Charing Cross
Walk free (its about 20 to 25 mins) around a mile
If you are arriving overnight on the sleeper they used to offer inclusive tickets to zone 1/2 not sure if thats still true.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Do you already have tickets from Glasgow? Through tickets are available.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you already have tickets from Glasgow? Through tickets are available.

Through tickets to Tottenham Court Road will be more expensive than using Oyster from Euston, unless joining the Underground in the peaks, when for certain types of Railcard holders it would be marginally cheaper.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . you have the following options:
Cab
Bus
Tube
Walk

. . . .
You could also add bike hire aka Boris bikes (going down Gower Street, as Tott Ct Rd is northbound only) to that list, but I would definitely walk - it's actually only 1200 metres between the two, similar to the distance between Glasgow Queen Street Station and Barrowlands or Charring Cross.

island

Veteran Member
As mentioned above, from Euston to Tottenham Court Road is easily walkable.

paul1609

Established Member
He's bringing his misses for 3 nights, unless they are different North of the M25 they will have considerable luggage.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Managed to get an advance single from Glasgow Central to Kings Cross for £54.10 for the two of us, and coming back we got it for £89.20 from Euston back to Glasgow Central.

Only thing I need to do is figure out London's bemusing public transport. We'll probably get the tube as it's only 3 stops from Tottenham Court Road to Euston when we're going back, I just need to figure it out from Kings Cross to Tottenham Court Road.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Even that has confused me! I'm not used to 'lines', I'm more used to the Inner & Outer Circle on the Glasgow Subway!

But thanks everyone for help!! :)

me123

Established Member
It's actually quite intuitive once you're there. As a fellow Weegie, I've used London's transport network entirely by myself and I didn't find it challenging at all. Just work out which line(s) you need to take and follow the signs. The tube stations are a bit of a maze, but everything's very well signposted.

If you and your partner both have contactless payment cards, I'd take the Northern line (black line on the tube). When you get to Euston station, you want a Southbound train on the Charing Cross branch (most if not all of them will terminate at Kennington). Apparently it leaves from Platform 2 in the tube station.

You can walk it, but with luggage it's maybe not the best, and of course you probably won't know the way so you could get lost. A taxi (£9-13) or uber (£5-7) might not be a bad idea if you have lots of luggage.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Tottenham Court Road to King's Cross definitely bus - more straight forward and not necessarily that much slower unless in high peaks. Get the 10, 73 or the 390. There are automatic announcements on the bus so you won't miss your stop. You can also pay with your contactless payment card if preferred.

Clip

Established Member
Id advocate the walk if its not bad weather as its so easy. Turn right out of Euston from entrance, walk along to UCH ( big glass hospital) then turn left and walk all the way down.

You cant miss the left hand turn as warren street is right there in front of you

Attachments

• EUSTCR.jpg
    EUSTCR.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 20

paul1609

Established Member
Gary, the thing is don't panic despite the bad press most londoners will give friendly advice if requested. The problem may be to find a londoner amongst all the visitors.
Similarly all the staff will be very friendly don't believe the conversations on here that you will be immediately stabbed by the first TFL employee you meet or ripped off with an extortionate penalty fare that just won't happen. If you've spent that much money coming down from Scotland the extra few quid on a taxi on the first night to get you to your accommodation is worth it imho, Id do the same if staying in Glasgow. Next day
you will be more relaxed and have the time to explore and enjoy the public transport opportunities.
London Village is yours to enjoy, you are welcome.

James Wake

If you need any more help, ask as there are many of us on here who know the London system well and usually you can get a quick response. As I work on the London Buses, you can always send me a PM if you want and Ill do my best to help.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Sorry to resurrect this one...So I've got my tickets for heading to London on the 1st of Feb which is the 06.50 from Glasgow Central to Kings Cross on VTEC, but coming back it's VTWC at 18:30 on the 5th from Euston to Glasgow Central.

Should the engineering works overrun, could I travel earlier and would my ticket from Euston to Glasgow Central be valid on the 15.30 service from Kings Cross to Glasgow Central?

The only reason I'm asking is because I got an email from VT saying...

Advance ticket restrictions have been relaxed for passengers travelling through the affected area; however tickets will only be accepted on the travel date specified.

It has been agreed for other train companies to accept Virgin Trains ticket holders over certain alternative routes:

- Virgin Trains East Coast will accept the holders of London Euston to Edinburgh tickets between London King’s Cross and Edinburgh only.

- First TransPennine Express will accept Virgin Trains ticket holders on their services between Carlisle and Preston/Wigan North Western.

- CrossCountry Trains will accept holders of Off-Peak or Anytime tickets on their services between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Birmingham New Street. Passengers holding Advance tickets must travel via Carlisle.

Passengers should expect the above services to be much busier than usual, and anyone who can postpone or cancel their journey should seriously consider doing so. We will of course give a full refund for anyone who decides not to travel, if you return your ticket to the point of purchase.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Veteran Member
On the basis of that mail, you've got to travel via Carlisle, changing there onto the Voyager shuttle via Dumfries or the replacement bus, but you can travel earlier in the day on WC.

pt15sb

The TFL journey planner suggests going on the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus and then the Central Line, but IIRC it's an awkward interchange. I would use the buses already suggested.

Indeed an awkward interchange. The easiest I can think of for being with luggage for Kings Cross - Tottenham Court Rd would be to take Northern north to Euston then switch to the other Northern south to Tottenham Court Rd. The Northern interchange at Euston is escalators and not stairs if I'm recalling correctly

duncanp

Established Member
You may well be aware that the West Coast mainline is blocked at the moment, due to damage to the viaduct at Lamington, between Carstairs and Lockerbie.

Trains are running from Carlisle to London.

To get from Glasgow to Carlisle (or vice versa) you have two options

(a) A direct bus service
(b) A train via Kilmarnock and Dumfries, either the normal Scotrail service or the special shuttle service being run by Virgin Trains.

Due to the disruption to normal services, the restriction which says that Advance tickets must be used on the booked train has been lifted. However passengers are being advised to travel as close as possible to their original departure time.

As your outbound train is via Edinburgh to Kings Cross, this should run as normal.

The estimate to re-open the line is 31st January.

However in the case that it is not open by 5th February when you return, you can get a train from Euston to Carlisle and then either option (a) or (b) above. As your return train leaves Euston at 18:30, you should try to leave as close as possible to 18:30, but it doesn't have to be that exact train.

Regarding Euston to Tottenham Court Road, be aware that there are two branches of the Northern Line at Euston, the Bank branch and the Charing Cross branch. To get to Tottenham Court Road you need the Charing Cross branch.

As noted earlier there are also buses from opposite the station or a taxi would be about £10.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
So in reality should the works overrun, I couldn't get the 15:30 from Kings Cross to Glasgow Central via VTEC as that's where that service terminates...

With regards to getting a taxi, GetTaxi recently blocked my account for no reason at all, so I've got £50 to spend on black hackney's...

Veteran Member
So in reality should the works overrun, I couldn't get the 15:30 from Kings Cross to Glasgow Central via VTEC as that's where that service terminates...

That's how I read it too. But as of now the 1530 off Euston gives a connection via Dumfries.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Got confirmation today from Virgin that should the engineering works overrun, I'll be able to travel back on the 15:30 from Kings Cross back to Glasgow Central on VTEC instead of Euston as it's an Off-Peak Single with 'Any Route' being permitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.