• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER team up with Virgin/Stagecoach on ECML bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

I think this could be a 'dream team' for the ECML:

GNER - very good reputation, high service levels
Virgin - great brand, currently doing well on the West Coast
Stagecoach - the benefits of being part of a major UK transport group

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6533269.stm

Train company GNER could retain a stake in a lucrative rail franchise after joining forces with a joint Virgin Trains and Stagecoach bid.
GNER gave up its East Coast Mainline contract after parent company Sea Containers ran into trouble.

But Virgin Trains and Stagecoach, which have formed a joint venture, announced on Friday that GNER would be partnering them in the competition.

If successful, York-based GNER will take a 10% stake in the franchise.

Virgin and Stagecoach would share the remaining 90% stake in the deal, which has been approved by the Department of Transport.

GNER is currently running East Coast services under a temporary management agreement until the winner of the franchise is selected.

Chief executive of Stagecoach, Brian Souter, and Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson said in a joint statement: "The management capability within the GNER team, combined with the strong track-record of Stagecoach and Virgin in delivering high-quality rail services to passengers across the country, will allow us to submit an innovative and compelling bid."
Other contenders for the franchise include transport companies Arriva, National Express and FirstGroup.

The companies will submit their final bids to the Department of Transport in June, with a final decision expected by autumn.

GNER has its headquarters in York, where it employs about 400 staff.

Labour MP for York, Hugh Bayley, said: "The GNER executive, Jonatham Metcalfe, has told me that the headquarters will stay in York if they won the franchise.

"Stagecoach and Virgin have also made it clear that they will maintain the GNER ethos on customer service."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

don24

I just hope that they win the franchise. I will be gobsmacked if First win the Franchise.

Tom B

Established Member
Yeah, the Virgin thing brings in the MMC.

However... First... don't.... even..... go.... there.

Kris

"Stagecoach and Virgin have also made it clear that they will maintain the GNER ethos on customer service."

Pity we don't have that ethos on SWT. I was impressed with Virgin (XC) customer service though.

T

Tom

Think it's referring to the Anglo-Scottish service being operated by the same operator on both routes.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If that was an issue then why is Virgin allowed to bid?

T

Tom

Indeed, it can't just be Virgin Rail Group. I think it will work out as a 45/45/10 partnership with Stagecoach, Virgin and GNER.

tramboy

It'll be a turn up if Stagecoach/Virgin/GNER win. And we'll have to ask what they'll be branded under. Mainly because if it is Virgin East Coast, a)I can't see their livery working on an IC225 set and b) the general public will see it as a monopoly, probably asking some questions.

It also depends on how the East Midlands/West Midlands bidding goes I should imagine.

Regards

Dave

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Of course GNER, being the current operator of the route, has a good idea about how much it costs, so can submit a high bid accordingly.

If you look at the DfT's website, there is a flow diagram for deciding who to award a franchise to. If you get past all the nonsense, you can see it basically comes down to two things: -
* Who can offer the highest premium/lowest subsidy
* Who is less likely to fall into financial difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.