• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go and sit in coach G

Status
Not open for further replies.

furgus2

I came across something new to me this morning upon boarding the 07.37 train from Glasgow Central to Euston on day 3 of an All Line Rover.
No reservation was held by me as I intend to travel only as far as Carlisle. A member of the 1st class staff was going along and writing down all the reservation details in coach H.
I went to sit down at a seat reserved from Wigan. The staff member asked me if I had a reservation to which I replied no and that I was trailing just to Carlisle. She told me to go and sit in coach G instead as the table was ready for someone boarding at Wigan and it saved them work if they did not have to reset it after I had used it.
Now, I'm not one who wants to create extra work for anyone but surely the table I'm sitting at in G will be reset after I have got off so what's the difference? I'm not moaning. It's just that I don't see the logic in her point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It does seem most odd. Possibly more understandable if the reservation was from Carlisle, but even then, I am sure any seat is fair game if it is not reserved at that point.

broadgage

I think that you were entitled to take any seat other of course than those occupied by or reserved for others.
Virgin trains staff do have a reputation for telling customers to sit where it is most convenient for the staff rather than where the customer wishes to sit.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Coach G is unreserved so there may not be anyone using the seat after you, negating the need to set up for the seat again en route.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Of course if you refuse and insist then I'm sure she won't force you out.

I agree with you that it's hardly a big issue.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Isn't this like the seats at one end of first being "staff" (commented on by these fora)? It seems to suggest staff on the train have various working practices grown up for their purposes. To the casual observer it seems there is no way of managing on train staff.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The only thing I can think of is the seat was intended to be used by a VIP or someone for publicity purposes (eg: filming someone at their seat, doing an interview etc).

robbeech

Established Member
If this was the case wouldn't you just reserve it throughout ?

A few times travelling from Manchester to Lichfield TV on a Virgin 1st class ticket, I plonked myself in an (otherwise) empty coach K - i value the peace and quiet. Each time the staff asked me to move to another carriage, with no explanation. Being an agreeable chap, I moved to coach J and the journey passed off pleasantly enough. Whilst alighting at Lichfield TV on each of these occasions, I casually glanced from the vestibule into coach K. Each time the 1st class attendants were sitting in the carriage chatting and laughing, so I drew the conclusion that on non-busy services, Virgin staff consider coach K to be a private mess room for themselves.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, they do. It really grates.

It is not a way to treat your premium passengers.

I think VT should solve it by allowing reservations in coach K and allocating a block of unreserved seats in G instead. Then I know which seat I would always be reserving myself into.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A few times travelling from Manchester to Lichfield TV on a Virgin 1st class ticket, I plonked myself in an (otherwise) empty coach K - i value the peace and quiet.

Better heading to G (or H if a 9-car set) for that purpose. K, whilst usually empty, I find to be one of the noisiest carriages during the week on account of the faffing in the kitchen and the chatter between the staff therein (not that that's a problem, you can't expect them to communicate in mime!).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I think VT should solve it by allowing reservations in coach K and allocating a block of unreserved seats in G instead. Then I know which seat I would always be reserving myself into.

Coach G was, at least in my days with Virgin, the "off duty staff" coach. It was usually full of managers and office bods like me who were allowed to sit quietly and without fuss.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I came across something new to me this morning upon boarding the 07.37 train from Glasgow Central to Euston on day 3 of an All Line Rover.
No reservation was held by me as I intend to travel only as far as Carlisle. A member of the 1st class staff was going along and writing down all the reservation details in coach H.
I went to sit down at a seat reserved from Wigan. The staff member asked me if I had a reservation to which I replied no and that I was trailing just to Carlisle. She told me to go and sit in coach G instead as the table was ready for someone boarding at Wigan and it saved them work if they did not have to reset it after I had used it.
Now, I'm not one who wants to create extra work for anyone but surely the table I'm sitting at in G will be reset after I have got off so what's the difference? I'm not moaning. It's just that I don't see the logic in her point.

The reason why it states "reserved from Wigan" is so people can occupy that seat up until Wigan. On board staff have no business in asking you to move - you can sit anywhere you like provided its unreserved for the journey that you make. Same applies to coach K - it IS NOT a staff coach. Its there for the use of customers - end of.

I was on a Virgin voyager today and yet again single seat 4 had an issue - there was a "Virgin Trains" bag on it. The behaviour of these on board staff re who wants to sit where really needs management attention.

All Line Rover

Established Member
If the OP was travelling as far as Wigan, I can understand why the catering crew would not want the passenger boarding at Wigan to be faced with a messy table. But with the OP alighting at Carlisle, and with a crew change at Preston, there would have been plenty of time to change the crockery and wipe the table.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I was on a Virgin voyager today and yet again single seat 4 had an issue - there was a "Virgin Trains" bag on it. The behaviour of these on board staff re who wants to sit where really needs management attention.

For the record, XC (CrossCountry) has the same problem. It isn't exclusive to VTWC.

tspaul26

Established Member
If the OP was travelling as far as Wigan, I can understand why the catering crew would not want the passenger boarding at Wigan to be faced with a messy table. But with the OP alighting at Carlisle, and with a crew change at Preston, there would have been plenty of time to change the crockery and wipe the table.

I have never been given cause to suspect that either of these activities is carried out by the stewards on board.

Outright removal of crockery, perhaps, but I have never known the tables to be cleaned or relaid during a journey.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is it as simple as that they set all the tables before the train starts out and between Carlisle and Wigan they are fully occupied with other things so they don't want to have to set another table?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Coach G is unreserved so there may not be anyone using the seat after you, negating the need to set up for the seat again en route.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Of course if you refuse and insist then I'm sure she won't force you out.

I agree with you that it's hardly a big issue.

To me it would depend:

1. If there was an equivalent seat available in coach G (1 vs 2 abreast, direction of travel, occupancy).

2. If they asked nicely.

This does not apply to the single seats because there are very few equivalents. These should be available to passengers at ALL times, with crew using the highly unpopular 2 abreast airline seats across the aisle. Crew are not entitled to private gossip while working, and if they must have it they can always move to the staff-only vestibule and stand.

gsnedders

Established Member
I have never been given cause to suspect that either of these activities is carried out by the stewards on board.

Outright removal of crockery, perhaps, but I have never known the tables to be cleaned or relaid during a journey.

I've seen it done almost every time I've been on board (almost invariably Glasgow to London or return); it also always seems like they start cleaning for the return journey in the final half hour before the terminus.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Coach G was, at least in my days with Virgin, the "off duty staff" coach. It was usually full of managers and office bods like me who were allowed to sit quietly and without fuss.

Still is!

tspaul26

Established Member
I've seen it done almost every time I've been on board (almost invariably Glasgow to London or return); it also always seems like they start cleaning for the return journey in the final half hour before the terminus.

You must let me know which services you travel on: I have never encountered such activities in over a decade of travelling! More's the pity...

JamesP

You must let me know which services you travel on: I have never encountered such activities in over a decade of travelling! More's the pity...

I've seen it often on journeys from Chester/North Wales to Euston.

gsnedders

Established Member

Currently on the 13:30 EUS–GLC; immediately after leaving Wigan North Western they've taken away all dirty glasses and plates. Just left Preston, new everything is now being set to replace them.

trainophile

Established Member

Is it possible to select a specific seat when booking on VTWC? I always seem to go through the rigmarole of making duplicate bookings until I get a decent seat, then removing the rest from my basket. It would be so much easier if we could specify a seat as with VTEC, especially as they don't even offer a choice of direction.

Spent ages earlier tonight trying to get two side by side table seats, but whatever I selected I always got either two facing window seats or two facing aisle seats or a pair of airline seats. I had over £200 worth in my basket at one point, a bit selfish but I did remove them rather than leave them stuck for two hours!

Silver Cobra

Is it possible to select a specific seat when booking on VTWC? I always seem to go through the rigmarole of making duplicate bookings until I get a decent seat, then removing the rest from my basket. It would be so much easier if we could specify a seat as with VTEC, especially as they don't even offer a choice of direction.

Spent ages earlier tonight trying to get two side by side table seats, but whatever I selected I always got either two facing window seats or two facing aisle seats or a pair of airline seats. I had over £200 worth in my basket at one point, a bit selfish but I did remove them rather than leave them stuck for two hours!

If you book directly through VTWC's website, you can use their seat selector to pick the specific seats you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.