• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Yarp1

Over heard a conversation yesterday between two drivers. One said to the.other that he didnt know where to go on a diversion that was in place on his route, but it was ok as he would use his sat nav !! If there had been any low bridges on his route I would have stepped in and told him. Another offered a piece of paper they had of a drawn map.!!
Going around our cornish lanes in a double decker following a sat nav unless programmed perfectly can take you down some bad places.
I do hear their drivers talking to others about routes and being unsure of where to go. I would be happy to help and give directions and help with diversions but unless its going to put them or passengers in danger I have decided against it because if any thing went wrong then I am sure the finger would be pointed at the FK driver who told them wrong. Maybe not but cant and wont risk it
There definitely seems to be a lack of experience or local knowledge. I know there are a few management and depot supervisors who actually do know their area. For those who dont and it seems there is a high percentage of them, its showing up badly.
I know of 2 or 3 PCB/GC that have got stick and damaged from going the wrong way. My biggest fear is that there is going to be a bridge strike before the end of the year.
Am not singing there praises but I think a few of the FK drivers that have gone over have actually msybe been the reason no bridge has been hit because they are familiar with the route and know the diversions from having worked for FK.
It almost looks like PCB/GA seem to think that deckers can be used on any route !
I hope to god I am wrong about a bridge strike happening but if I am not then I sincerely hope nobody gets hurt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I would’ve thought the Cornwall operations of PCB ie
PCB - Plymouth Citybus
GA - GoAhead
GC - GoCornwall
Im sure its meaning plymouth city bus/ go ahead / go cornwall. Thats how i read it!
Ah yes, but you have to put yourself in the position of a daft person like me who doesn't know ;)

Acronyms/Abbreviations should be explained.

Lizard1324

Over heard a conversation yesterday between two drivers. One said to the.other that he didnt know where to go on a diversion that was in place on his route, but it was ok as he would use his sat nav !! If there had been any low bridges on his route I would have stepped in and told him. Another offered a piece of paper they had of a drawn map.!!
Going around our cornish lanes in a double decker following a sat nav unless programmed perfectly can take you down some bad places.
I do hear their drivers talking to others about routes and being unsure of where to go. I would be happy to help and give directions and help with diversions but unless its going to put them or passengers in danger I have decided against it because if any thing went wrong then I am sure the finger would be pointed at the FK driver who told them wrong. Maybe not but cant and wont risk it
There definitely seems to be a lack of experience or local knowledge. I know there are a few management and depot supervisors who actually do know their area. For those who dont and it seems there is a high percentage of them, its showing up badly.
I know of 2 or 3 PCB/GC that have got stick and damaged from going the wrong way. My biggest fear is that there is going to be a bridge strike before the end of the year.
Am not singing there praises but I think a few of the FK drivers that have gone over have actually msybe been the reason no bridge has been hit because they are familiar with the route and know the diversions from having worked for FK.
It almost looks like PCB/GA seem to think that deckers can be used on any route !
I hope to god I am wrong about a bridge strike happening but if I am not then I sincerely hope nobody gets hurt
I'm surprised they don't use double deckers on busy routes, seems strange putting double deckers on single only routes and somewhat dangerous, at the start of there increased routes there were 2 or 3 doubles out of 4 buses on the 34 but now you only see one double decker a week and it gets busy on this route especially when tourism resumes come july

MB162435

Established Member
The 7 service is finally returning on Monday 6th July, many other TfC services are set to be tweaked

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 7 service is finally returning on Monday 6th July, many other TfC services are set to be tweaked
Better late than never!

FK has just announced that open top services in West Cornwall are starting the following week. Assuming this includes the A3 it'll be from famine to feast for this particular corridor!

MB162435

Established Member
Better late than never!

FK has just announced that open top services in West Cornwall are starting the following week. Assuming this includes the A3 it'll be from famine to feast for this particular corridor!
Definitely, seems to be all or nothing down that way!

richw

Veteran Member
The 1615 22 to st Austell only made Treviscoe this evening where it turned round and returned to Truro.
decker operation as has been for weeks. Looks like this time it got right up to the low bridge before turning round rather than diverting before the village To Nanpean as seen on other days.

Attachments

• 452BA333-84F6-487B-B070-609C380440DC.png
    452BA333-84F6-487B-B070-609C380440DC.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2D7F655C-27E3-4728-A181-2B6FE0CE50CB.jpeg
    2D7F655C-27E3-4728-A181-2B6FE0CE50CB.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 9B91270C-8C27-44A5-B6AF-570E60499DDD.jpeg
    9B91270C-8C27-44A5-B6AF-570E60499DDD.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1EAB84DC-6D23-4FA8-B3A8-68861B9A1F7D.jpeg
    1EAB84DC-6D23-4FA8-B3A8-68861B9A1F7D.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 34

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Saturday before last, I was about to exit Sainsbury's Penzance about 17.50 when a St Ives bound 16A passed by, empty of course. I was then surprised to see a Dart, no 251 iirc, sitting on the bus stop blinded as a 16 to St Ives, devoid of both passengers and driver, so I took even longer than usual to reach my car as I was watching the situation. Then I realised the driver was standing at the rear nearside having a fag, so I concluded it was a breakdown and the other bus was a replacement. I deliberately drove slowly past the bus, to see it carried a PZ 04 duty number on the dash, but also 16A St Ives via Newmill printed info next to it. About ten seconds later I looked in my mirror to see the bus speeding off, heading for Jelbert's Way, so I followed it, and to my amazement it went off up to Gulval as a 16. When I got home, perusal of the timetable showed two departures at 17.45 from Pz Bus Stn, one on the 16 and the other on the 16A, both to St Ives (Carbis Bay at present). I'm pretty sure this is a cock-up on CC's part, as this is the most intensive service ever seen on the route, and at a time when nobody's travelling! I'm assuming the Dart 16 I saw had come from the depot and was told to wait at Sainsburys for any connecting passengers.
A week later, and I deliberately stationed myself outside the store from 17.45, and the 16A arrived first, with the 16 about ninety seconds behind, both new buses in the 22xx series, and both had come from the Bus Stn.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Saturday before last, I was about to exit Sainsbury's Penzance about 17.50 when a St Ives bound 16A passed by, empty of course. I was then surprised to see a Dart, no 251 iirc, sitting on the bus stop blinded as a 16 to St Ives, devoid of both passengers and driver, so I took even longer than usual to reach my car as I was watching the situation. Then I realised the driver was standing at the rear nearside having a fag, so I concluded it was a breakdown and the other bus was a replacement. I deliberately drove slowly past the bus, to see it carried a PZ 04 duty number on the dash, but also 16A St Ives via Newmill printed info next to it. About ten seconds later I looked in my mirror to see the bus speeding off, heading for Jelbert's Way, so I followed it, and to my amazement it went off up to Gulval as a 16. When I got home, perusal of the timetable showed two departures at 17.45 from Pz Bus Stn, one on the 16 and the other on the 16A, both to St Ives (Carbis Bay at present). I'm pretty sure this is a cock-up on CC's part, as this is the most intensive service ever seen on the route, and at a time when nobody's travelling! I'm assuming the Dart 16 I saw had come from the depot and was told to wait at Sainsburys for any connecting passengers.
A week later, and I deliberately stationed myself outside the store from 17.45, and the 16A arrived first, with the 16 about ninety seconds behind, both new buses in the 22xx series, and both had come from the Bus Stn.
Ah yes, you're right about these two trips!

Then there's the nonsense on Saturdays where the first two rounds trips on the M6 are duplicated by FK and TfC (except the latter doesn't go to Mousehole harbour of course).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Having been quite satisfied with the standard of driving by Go-Cornwall drivers that I'd witnessed so far, albeit neither as a passenger nor over prolonged periods, and admittedly only in West Cornwall, I saw from a very close distance a diabolical piece of driving on Friday evening, and am seriously considering reporting it to the driver's management. As I've only ever done this twice in my life, when I worked for London Transport almost fifty years ago, I wouldn't do this lightly, but I feel this driver is a menace to other road users, and by that token his passengers too.

About 5.30 p.m. I was driving up to the KfC/heliport roundabout, having come up past the Sainsburys roundabout, and was in the offside lane indicating right for Long Rock,didn't have to stop at the roundabout and doing about 25-30 mph when a GCB came out from Jelberts Way in the left hand, Long Rock bypass lane as though it was on a 39A (the other lane had a car properly stopped waiting to turn into my lane), cut across me without any indication, so far that he was in fact in the brief, third roundabout lane for going back round towards Penzance, then swung back at the last second before he missed the Long Rock turn-off, again with no indication whatever. I'd caught sight of the driver only insofar as I could identify him as male, and probably under 50, and there were no passengers. The rear blind showed 515, the bus was no 2210, and the bus had probably been on the 515 that arrives at PZ bus station around 5.20 p.m., returning now empty to depot.

What, if anything, would you do? If I were to report him, who to? I should mention I took my foot off the acclerator and touched the brakes as soon as I became aware of what was happening, and under normal circumstances at that time of day would probably have been rear-ended by a car bound for the by-pass, but luckily there was little traffic.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Having been quite satisfied with the standard of driving by Go-Cornwall drivers that I'd witnessed so far, albeit neither as a passenger nor over prolonged periods, and admittedly only in West Cornwall, I saw from a very close distance a diabolical piece of driving on Friday evening, and am seriously considering reporting it to the driver's management. As I've only ever done this twice in my life, when I worked for London Transport almost fifty years ago, I wouldn't do this lightly, but I feel this driver is a menace to other road users, and by that token his passengers too.

About 5.30 p.m. I was driving up to the KfC/heliport roundabout, having come up past the Sainsburys roundabout, and was in the offside lane indicating right for Long Rock,didn't have to stop at the roundabout and doing about 25-30 mph when a GCB came out from Jelberts Way in the left hand, Long Rock bypass lane as though it was on a 39A (the other lane had a car properly stopped waiting to turn into my lane), cut across me without any indication, so far that he was in fact in the brief, third roundabout lane for going back round towards Penzance, then swung back at the last second before he missed the Long Rock turn-off, again with no indication whatever. I'd caught sight of the driver only insofar as I could identify him as male, and probably under 50, and there were no passengers. The rear blind showed 515, the bus was no 2210, and the bus had probably been on the 515 that arrives at PZ bus station around 5.20 p.m., returning now empty to depot.

What, if anything, would you do? If I were to report him, who to? I should mention I took my foot off the acclerator and touched the brakes as soon as I became aware of what was happening, and under normal circumstances at that time of day would probably have been rear-ended by a car bound for the by-pass, but luckily there was little traffic.
If I were you I'd report the incident without hesitation irrespective of what operator was involved. It sounded horrendous.

The details for making complaints are in the "contact us" section on the TfC website.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
@Busaholic without doubt drop a message. I’d want that reported whether that was us or anyone else
You and Goldfish62 have persuaded me to report this individual - if my wife had been in the car, she'd have been screaming, but fortunately I'm not a panicker.

MB162435

Established Member
2 more TfC E200 MMCs delivered today to Milehouse, WA20 DXH and WA20 DXD

Looks like full length ones

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Confusion among passengers (well, all one of them :) ) waiting at Pz Sainsburys for a bus was narrowly averted tonight at 17.50 when the last 16 for St Ives via Gulval arrived and was promptly boarded by the elderly maskbound gentleman with capacious shopping bag: luckily, by the time thirty seconds later when the last 16A for St Ives via Newmill and Zennor swung in behind the 16 the chap had realised he'd made a 'mistake' and almost fell off the first bus in his hurry to transfer. He was the sole passenger on either bus, but the first I've seen at all on the route/s for weeks now. If that second bus had just driven past without stopping (not unfeasible) he'd have been stuck. When I contact GCB regarding the bad driving I referred to previously, I shall mention this timetabling nonsense, because it's only a matter of time before someone gets really inconvenienced.

Ian10

Confusion among passengers (well, all one of them :) ) waiting at Pz Sainsburys for a bus was narrowly averted tonight at 17.50 when the last 16 for St Ives via Gulval arrived and was promptly boarded by the elderly maskbound gentleman with capacious shopping bag: luckily, by the time thirty seconds later when the last 16A for St Ives via Newmill and Zennor swung in behind the 16 the chap had realised he'd made a 'mistake' and almost fell off the first bus in his hurry to transfer. He was the sole passenger on either bus, but the first I've seen at all on the route/s for weeks now. If that second bus had just driven past without stopping (not unfeasible) he'd have been stuck. When I contact GCB regarding the bad driving I referred to previously, I shall mention this timetabling nonsense, because it's only a matter of time before someone gets really inconvenienced.
The timetable, with all its faults, was specified by Cornwall Council.

83G/84D

Established Member
A crash between a cyclist and a lorry on the road near St Erth railway station in the last couple of hours has closed the road from the station towards St Erth village. It appears that service 515 is not running. The A30 is unaffected and service A17 is now calling at the stop outside the station after the police cordon was moved back.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The revised timetables from next week are now online.

Contrary to expectation route 7 isn't starting (despite being on Traveline) and the only changes I can see of any significance are an additional early evening return journey on the A1 and the removal of the two superfluous early morning Saturday journeys on the M6.

richw

Veteran Member
The revised timetables from next week are now online.

Contrary to expectation route 7 isn't starting (despite being on Traveline) and the only changes I can see of any significance are an additional early evening return journey on the A1 and the removal of the two superfluous early morning Saturday journeys on the M6.

The T1/2 showing a few changes, it looks tidier if open the two together. 5 loses the early morning journey