• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Lizard1324

Today i saw a green flash enviro 200 in the lizard, it was covered in a lot of white paper covering the green logos, is there any reason for this shorely if its going back to plymouth eventually they can just leave the logos, also the green flash bus looks much better then a green bus covered in white squared.
Is there any reason for the cover up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Today i saw a green flash enviro 200 in the lizard, it was covered in a lot of white paper covering the green logos, is there any reason for this shorely if its going back to plymouth eventually they can just leave the logos, also the green flash bus looks much better then a green bus covered in white squared.
It really is awful.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There's an article in this month's Buses on Cornwall. One thing I didn't know was that CC offered all bidders the Cormac depots in order to reduce barriers to market entry.

carlberry

Established Member
Is this the same one as last week or is it a new livery for Cornwall? Perhaps PCB misunderstood the thing about having to use coverings on public transport?

richw

Veteran Member
There's an article in this month's Buses on Cornwall. One thing I didn't know was that CC offered all bidders the Cormac depots in order to reduce barriers to market entry.
Chris Carter was in Newquay taking photos a month or so ago. I assume some of these found their way in?

richw

Veteran Member
The yellow flashes don’t have their route branding covered so I’m unsure the need for it

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It really is awful.

Anyone got a photo? Really, they could just remove the vinyls. Everyone probably appreciates that you can't repaint every vehicle immediately in any fleet but there are ways of doing it (e.g. FK debranding the Discover Solars). Even if its a temporary thing, getting some new vinyls isn't ridiculous or just leave them on but have a red TfC vinyl across the base of the windscreen and on the nearside front window....

That is quite interesting; certainly one to please the procurement fraternity as it removes the barrier to entry and the inherent advantage that FK would have had in having existing bases, or for that matter, PCB in the east of the county.

83G/84D

Established Member

I mentioned this on here last week, there are three Green Flash Enviro's down here but that altered one looks dreadful. As richw pointed out why do it when there are other route branded PCB buses in Cornwall such as the Yellow Flash E400 which hasn't been altered. Pointless exercise done dreadfully.

MB162435

Established Member
TfC have said revised timetables are being worked on, and timetable books will be out at some point during July

Lizard1324

Anyone got a photo? Really, they could just remove the vinyls. Everyone probably appreciates that you can't repaint every vehicle immediately in any fleet but there are ways of doing it (e.g. FK debranding the Discover Solars). Even if its a temporary thing, getting some new vinyls isn't ridiculous or just leave them on but have a red TfC vinyl across the base of the windscreen and on the nearside front window....

That is quite interesting; certainly one to please the procurement fraternity as it removes the barrier to entry and the inherent advantage that FK would have had in having existing bases, or for that matter, PCB in the east of the county.
Heres a photo though it was a 100 meters from the road and was done with my phone so have zoomed in, looks like they have fixed it slightly since last week but still no real need.

Screenshot_20200624-193500_Video Player.jpg,

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Heres a photo though it was a 100 meters from the road and was done with my phone so have zoomed in, looks like they have fixed it slightly since last week but still no real need.

View attachment 79919,
Thanks for that. It is a dogs dinner.

As I said, they'd have been better just removing them and then reinstating on its return, or just leaving them with a couple of red TfC vinyls, strategically located

MB162435

Established Member

View attachment 79919,
It’s a little weird why they have done that, it is like Kernow taping over the Tinner and Uni brands on the MMCs, just because they are working for a different company in Somerset

Aren't the logos just vinyl and could be removed, if not Green tape would of been better if they had to be covered

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s a little weird why they have done that, it is like Kernow taping over the Tinner and Uni brands on the MMCs, just because they are working for a different company in Somerset

Aren't the logos just vinyl and could be removed, if not Green tape would of been better if they had to be covered

True though the SPS fleet isn't for the general public so less of an perceived issue.

This is how First West of England temporarily branded their metrobus vehicles for unibus duties in Bath - a lot more professional

AB93

Maybe Cornwall Council have had visions of grandeur and decided they need to emulate the International Olympic Committee? For the Olympics, the no corporate branding rules at least made sense...

MB162435

Established Member
True though the SPS fleet isn't for the general public so less of an perceived issue.

This is how First West of England temporarily branded their metrobus vehicles for unibus duties in Bath - a lot more professional

That's true, plus the length of the Hinckley contract wasn't known, could of been quite short and no point of altering the livery

It does look so much better, and not like a last minute Sunday night rush job

The Green flash livery does look quite smart, so a shame it's been hidden for life in Cornwall

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
That's true, plus the length of the Hinckley contract wasn't known, could of been quite short and no point of altering the livery

It does look so much better, and not like a last minute Sunday night rush job

The Green flash livery does look quite smart, so a shame it's been hidden for life in Cornwall

Are PCB still using the /Flash brands? They all look rather smart, but seem to suffer at the hands of the usual Go-Ahead level of Indecision - whereby they finally settle on something before changing their minds again. And PCB does seem to be rather slow at painting vehicles into its red base livery too.

MB162435

Established Member
Are PCB still using the /Flash brands? They all look rather smart, but seem to suffer at the hands of the usual Go-Ahead level of Indecision - whereby they finally settle on something before changing their minds again. And PCB does seem to be rather slow at painting vehicles into its red base livery too.
Haven't seen any marketing for it or anyone from PCB talking about it, think they were beginning to focus advertising for their open top and Spark services rather than the Flash brands

richw

Veteran Member
It was indeed a condition of the contract that no company branding appeared on buses.
If they’d obliged to this element most general punters wouldn’t know it was go ahead And wouldn’t damage the citybus reputation so badly!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If they’d obliged to this element most general punters wouldn’t know it was go ahead And wouldn’t damage the citybus reputation so badly!

Is it damaging the Citybus reputation badly? The existing operations in East Cornwall, that experienced the least change, are operating reliably as are the main Plymouth services.

The issues tend to be in mid/West Cornwall and, in most people's eyes, that will be down to someone called Transport for Cornwall.

To be honest, the Pride bus debacle has probably brought more reputational damage than anything.

richw

Veteran Member
The issues tend to be in mid/West Cornwall and, in most people's eyes, that will be down to someone called Transport for Cornwall.
Many of the vehicles being used in mid/west cornwall are in citybus branding not TfC branding. Probably about 50/50. It’s a right mismatch of branding! The citybus branded vehicles are the scruffiest ones, the TfC ones whilst spotting some damage are nowhere near as bad as the pcb vehicles. I don’t know whether it’s just the same few vehicles I keep seeing but it seems every pcb vehicle is scraped front to back with the damage so old it’s showing rust through the damage! We can’t blame damage that’s clearly that old on Cornwall, but it’s how it will be perceived to the public

MB162435

Established Member
The E200s seem to be in the worst state, although not awful but the E400s still look quite presentable

Think the problem is that they have a new livery but they're not in a rush to apply it, so the old one becomes tired and worn, like the First livery did in the end on Kernow's Tridents and Solos

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The E200s seem to be in the worst state, although not awful but the E400s still look quite presentable

Think the problem is that they have a new livery but they're not in a rush to apply it, so the old one becomes tired and worn, like the First livery did in the end on Kernow's Tridents and Solos

There will be a mix of vehicles to be repainted (like the former Kernow e200mmc) and others drafted in vs. those that are there in a temporary capacity whilst new vehicles are expected. That still doesn't excuse the white vinyled e200 which is frankly terrible and defies belief.

As you say, we don't have to cast our minds back too far to recall some less than pristine First Kernow vehicles

I'm sure that Go Ahead and its partners will look to get the worst offenders sorted, as indeed First Kernow have done so in transforming their fleet.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
@TheGrandWazoo totally agree And my opinions on presentation applies to some of the Kernow tridents too! But they were end of life vehicles 18 years old. The citybus worse offenders are 4 1/2 year old 65 plates, so at an age I’d expect repairs, not left damaged so long the scrapes are rusting. Even the first kernow tridents didn’t get to a stage they We’re visibly rusting To the punters.
Radio Cornwall recently had a call in about the non showing and poor condition of the new bus operators vehicles. Several passengers called in, all negative. The high standard and reliability set by first in recent years set a bar of expectation. Having older vehicles no WiFi no usb charging and were seeing 15-20 cancellations a day, which is a height passengers aren’t used to here, but maybe normal Elsewhere I don’t know?
Also a decker being used on the 22 each day (there appears a working that comes off a decker working at truro then runs a 22 back to st Austell) it skips Treviscoe and St Dennis due To the low bridge. Basic planning the 22 can’t be inter worked with a route that uses deckers even if it’s only 1-2 journeys a day! Looks to be 1615ish from Truro... attached images show 22 workings Monday to Wednesday this week taken from bus times, showing a double decker working the 1615 each day

Attachments

• 65390670-752A-4C79-B4A8-C6D8AE2153A3.png
    65390670-752A-4C79-B4A8-C6D8AE2153A3.png
    348 KB · Views: 27
  • 1CED9387-A0E1-4DFA-ABA8-E20E5EB4DB51.png
    1CED9387-A0E1-4DFA-ABA8-E20E5EB4DB51.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3333C96C-8E22-4AC3-B82E-87921C0A27DE.png
    3333C96C-8E22-4AC3-B82E-87921C0A27DE.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 15

MB162435

Established Member
There will be a mix of vehicles to be repainted (like the former Kernow e200mmc) and others drafted in vs. those that are there in a temporary capacity whilst new vehicles are expected. That still doesn't excuse the white vinyled e200 which is frankly terrible and defies belief.

As you say, we don't have to cast our minds back too far to recall some less than pristine First Kernow vehicles

I'm sure that Go Ahead and its partners will look to get the worst offenders sorted, as indeed First Kernow have done so in transforming their fleet.
Hopefully they will get the permanent members painted ASAP, and ADL commencing deliveries of new stock

Doesn't look like Covid is effecting the painting of the former Kernow E200s so far, they will obviously be priority for various reasons

TfC are technically in the same position now that Kernow was in a few months ago and at every point since 2016 before the arrival of each new batch of stock, when the soon to displaced buses were looking knackered and tatty but no point in refreshing them

Go-ahead and TfC management will certainly want to make their fleet look smart and presentable, like as the state Kernow's buses show, just getting your buses in a smart new livery makes a huge difference to the company reputation

It's certainly made a difference to the appearance of Travel Cornwall, OTS and Hopley's buses, by having them in the new livery, makes them look quite new

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
@TheGrandWazoo totally agree And my opinions on presentation applies to some of the Kernow tridents too! But they were end of life vehicles 18 years old. The citybus worse offenders are 4 1/2 year old 65 plates, so at an age I’d expect repairs, not left damaged so long the scrapes are rusting. Even the first kernow tridents didn’t get to a stage they We’re visibly rusting To the punters.
Radio Cornwall recently had a call in about the non showing and poor condition of the new bus operators vehicles. Several passengers called in, all negative. The high standard and reliability set by first in recent years set a bar of expectation. Having older vehicles no WiFi no usb charging and were seeing 15-20 cancellations a day, which is a height passengers aren’t used to here, but maybe normal Elsewhere I don’t know?
Also a decker being used on the 22 each day (there appears a working that comes off a decker working at truro then runs a 22 back to st Austell) it skips Treviscoe and St Dennis due To the low bridge. Basic planning the 22 can’t be inter worked with a route that uses deckers even if it’s only 1-2 journeys a day! Looks to be 1615ish from Truro... attached images show 22 workings Monday to Wednesday this week taken from bus times, showing a double decker working the 1615 each day

For the reasons cited, you don't expect elderly vehicles to be repainted but some of the Tridents were down to bare metal. Irrespective of how old or not, that's equally awful and damaging for a brand and that's for vehicles that had two years service in them, and that's ignoring examples like the 2005 Darts that weren't repainted for 13/14 years with threadbare seats. It's great to see the strides that First Kernow have made but it is a relatively recent resurgence.

As @MB162435 says, it should be hoped that the ones that are staying with GCB will be dealt with as a matter of urgency but it's an urgent requirement. These things happen.

In terms of service reliability, missing journeys because of "operational difficulties" is not acceptable and it is something that Go Ahead will need to sort asap.

richw

Veteran Member
In terms of service reliability, missing journeys because of "operational difficulties" is not acceptable and it is something that Go Ahead will need to sort asap.
This is a vehicle working, it’s the same journeys each day so im without doubt they’ve booked a decker to work those 22 journeys. That’s even more unforgiving as it’s a foreseen and planned cancellation by whoever created their Duties and vehicle allocation. From the map tracking the drivers aren’t going into St Dennis and turning round, so Treviscoe, Little Egypt and st Dennis not being served on the 1615 from Truro and return working!

Attachments

• 532BA510-08C7-452D-814B-E9AD814B0AE4.jpeg
    532BA510-08C7-452D-814B-E9AD814B0AE4.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 24

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
This is a vehicle working, it’s the same journeys each day so im without doubt they’ve booked a decker to work those 22 journeys. That’s even more unforgiving as it’s a foreseen and planned cancellation by whoever created their Duties and vehicle allocation. From the map tracking the drivers aren’t going into St Dennis and turning round, so Treviscoe, Little Egypt and st Dennis not being served on the 1615 from Truro and return working!

I was referring to your quote ref missing journeys

were seeing 15-20 cancellations a day, which is a height passengers aren’t used to here, but maybe normal Elsewhere I don’t know?

richw

Veteran Member
I was referring to your quote ref missing journeys

sorry! unforeseen issues is slightly forgivable For cancellations. Breakdowns for running out of diesel is still happened, and booked double deckers on a route with low bridge missing parts of the route (Which is a cancellation for those villages) are both unacceptable and avoidable.

MB162435

Established Member
It looks like they have too many doubles and not enough singles at some depots, they should be understanding what the routes are like now and what is and isn't suitable